PDA

View Full Version : water price for ro/di

troni
02-16-2012, 01:14 AM
I know I definately need to start using ro/di water but how do you justify all that wasted water? You pay for that water just to dump it? I know there's other uses but I don't have a garden or indoor plants. I don't have a storage container or actually any use for it. 8 think red coral is charginf 3 dollars a g. Doesn't seem to bad.

monocus
02-16-2012, 03:04 AM
depends on how much you go through.as of now i do 50 gallons of water change a week and 10-15 gallons of top up.any waste can go in my garden so i'm not worried.if you aren't going through that much you can use your waste in your laundry.at $3 a gallon for top up water i would be better buying 3 nice corals.it's almost the same thing as selling snow to a Eskimo

Bob
02-16-2012, 04:02 AM
Red coraldoes not charge 3 a gallon...one dollar a gallon...and usually free if you happen to buy something...

pyke
02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
I am running a zero waste ro/di so i dont waste any water. look up zero waste ro systems or watts ro zero waste. So I dont waste any water. What kills me is the cost fish stores charge for DI resin. You can buy it at a fraction of the cost if you just go to a water/plumbing supply store.

sphelps
02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
You can also get systems with 1:1 ratios or even better. The difference is typically cost, so if you can't justify the waste spend more on the RO unit.

Myka
02-16-2012, 03:19 PM
I have my system modified for 1:1.5 (good:waste) ratio. It cost me $3 in parts to modify from a "stock" 4-stage.

In the frost-free months I collect the waste water outside in a couple 65 gallon plastic drums that I use with a Mag pump to water the flower and vegetable gardens. In the winter I put some of the waste water into my washing machine, but that's a pain in the butt to pack the 5 gallon pails over there. I tried just putting the waste line in there with a timer, but I still ended up flooding the laundry room regularly. :lol:

Lampshade
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Good advice on here, thanks. I want to use the water water just because it's well.. a waste. I've got a 1:5 system right now, so with my 50 gallons of water change and 15 gallons of top off in a month it is about 325 gallons. It's only costing about $3 a month for all that water, but still, I'm dumping usable water down the drain.

Then again... we use drinking water in out toilets...

TheMikey
02-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I have my system modified for 1:1.5 (good:waste) ratio. It cost me $3 in parts to modify from a "stock" 4-stage.

Details please!

troni
02-16-2012, 06:25 PM
I did some looking and the zero waste just dumps back into your hot water line. If anyone's heard of that answer me this where does it go when its full?

On another note I never actually looked at how much the waste water costs lol, just killed me to see $$$ down the drain.

Lampshade
02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Water costs generally aren't that bad. Here we have a tiered water system, and top price is $2.26m³. A cubic meter is 265 gallons, so that's a lot of water.

If it makes you feel better when I lived in langley with un-metered water I made a waste water cooling system for my tank that ran water through a 1/4" hose coiled in the tank all day to bring the temp down. Worked great :P

sphelps
02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I did some looking and the zero waste just dumps back into your hot water line. If anyone's heard of that answer me this where does it go when its full?

On another note I never actually looked at how much the waste water costs lol, just killed me to see $$$ down the drain.

Zero waste systems put the waste back in the hot water, the RO unit can only produce water when water in the house is being used. There are some concerns involved with such units and I somehow doubt they meet code in most areas. They are also meant for small intermittent demands, not ideal for making large batches of water at once.

In terms of cost, not sure what you looked at but if you use an RO unit to make 100 gallons per month, you'll waste say 400 gallons per month, that's less than 2 cubic meters and in most areas that's about $2 in waste per month.

troni
02-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Ya I checked that out and that makes me feel a lot better. You'll never guess this either I only have a 20g lol so that's 5 gal per water change haha.