PDA

View Full Version : 29 gallon Biocube!

Aysha
02-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Hi all! I'm new to marine and thought I'd introduce myself.
My name is Aysha and I am a 22 year old Jane of all trades,Living in Edmonton.
Seriously you need a graphic designer? a Makeup artist? Code Monkeyr (I'm a professional lot of things lol)

My Fiance was nice enough to bring me a suprise one day in the form of a 29 gallon Biocube, it's small but it's mighty and I look forward to hotrodding it up.
I have started small my tank now contains:
35 lbs LR
30lbs LS
1 small sand polyp
The biggest snail you have ever seen in your life I think it's called a strawberry trochus? it's like the size of my hand.
and one goofy blue legged hermit.

I Just got my first marine fish today blue Chromis I have named Stuntman Mike and Super Dave. Seriously I'm a bit paranoid.

If all goes well I'd like to add a coral beauty, a pair of perculas,a Bengaii Cardinal and a fire fish.

i've been taking photos everyday since I started and look forward to seeing what develops I look forward to uploading them and getting some input.

Nice to meet you,
~Aysha

fishytime
02-15-2012, 04:49 AM
well thats perfect timing......Ive seriously been hunting around for a professional to help me with my makeup:mrgreen::mrgreen:.....

sounds like as good start....ya those strawberrys get huge!.....

we have one rule here for tank journals.......it didnt happen without the pics to prove it:razz:

Aysha
02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
before I put anything in it.these photos are kinda from stage 1 till now.
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/425124_10150529512036736_681831735_9174261_1671470 037_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417257_10150529512181736_681831735_9174262_1963417 704_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/402152_10150529512991736_681831735_9174263_8189561 61_n.jpg

Stuntman Mike and Super Dave
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/401124_10150529516076736_681831735_9174270_1736008 306_n.jpg

The tank is still stock I plan on hotrodding the filter and I bought a new powerhead that I have yet to install. Spoiled fish.

lorenz0
02-15-2012, 07:15 PM
awesome start!

well thats perfect timing......Ive seriously been hunting around for a professional to help me with my makeup:mrgreen::mrgreen:.....

always wondered what you do in your free time

Aysha
02-15-2012, 08:47 PM
LOL it's not far off I do stuff like this
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296427_278153808869940_177589202259735_1108709_133 8093836_a.jpg

Reefie
02-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Great choice for a nano! Looks like you're off to a good start.

1 piece of advice before you go too far with fish and corals, let the tank cycle FIRST. Otherwise, you're just going to be flushing money down the toilet.

Nano-Reef has a section devoted to modding the BC29, check it out! Some are really simple and cheap to do.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788

Aysha
02-16-2012, 12:32 AM
DONT WORRY IM NOT CYCLING THE TANK WITH MY STUNTMEN!
Cyceling is good. I started with live everything from a tank that was being taken down that being said it sat for quite a while. I followed the advice of the woman I bought the tank from and started my cycle with a bit of shrimp In addition to the LR/LS.

My test kits confirm my tanks good to go so I figured Id try with something easy my LFS recommened Chromis or damsels.
Damsels are a bit to aggressive for my tastes and yes I know Chromis are damsels too! but you know how she goes. I gave them crazy names in reflection of this journey and trust me I will take care of them well fish gods willing.

That being said I'm New to salt. I kept reptiles for 10 years and FW for a long time but I still know how easy it is to make beginner mistakes (such as not letting my tank cycle. I chose a biocube for the right out of the box appeal and it was just the perfect size (the price didn't hurt either)

This is a learning process for me and I'm glad you are here to help :) Advice is good and advice is ALWAYS welcome.

No amount of chemicals or reading books or instasalt ect is ever a substitute for good ol' fashion asking questions and learning from others achivements,trials and errors.

I've already learned for instance that I hate hydrometers.:mrgreen:

Cubeman
02-16-2012, 04:12 PM
The snail in your picture - I've seen in stores listed as a strawberry top turban and similar names and they always just seem to be sitting on the sand. Thinking about buying one and wondering does yours move much and how effective is it at algae clean up?

Aysha
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
I've heard they are awesome, this guy moves around once and awhile, he's been known to sit on top of the highest rock! but, mostly he just sits in the sand. I went to the LFS and said I wanted a snail they said cool "all snails are 3.00" "excellent I'll take the coolest one"

Aysha
02-27-2012, 03:48 AM
So the snail left this mortal coil...typical. No smell quite like it to be sure.

I re arranged the rock to give the tank an all around better flow and better caves, added another polyp frag, a handful of hermits and a fire fish (who I don't see because he lives under a rock)

Red algae has come and gone & the green stuff has just started blooming.
I'm going to add one more fish in the next week and then focus on adding small frags of coral and wait for it to grow out.

I haven't installed the powerhead yet because I found bits of coral and shells were being blown all about the place after I moved my LR. SO I'm not sure that it's a good idea.Thoughts?

Oh and I ordered this :http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29-Fish-Saver-Guard-BC29FS.htm
Has anyone else used them?

PurpleMonkey
02-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Did you get the mediabasket and fugebasket?

Aysha
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
No, My fiance is a laser operator and has the same equipment they use to make one so I'll have one made.

krausean
02-28-2012, 03:46 AM
I had a biocube about 3 years ago! Loved it!! I found it to be a great started tank for me!
Great build so far!

tim the toolman
02-28-2012, 04:53 AM
I think a 29 may be too small for a coral beauty. Especially with all the other fish your planning. Just in my opinion.

Reefie
03-03-2012, 11:56 PM
A Coral Beauty will be fine provided that it'll be the very last fish you'll be adding.

I've got the Fish-Saver from inTank, it works like a charm! I had a Midas Blenny that liked to hop in to the overflow, and it's a PITA to get it out with the media basket, skimmer, pumps, heater, etc.

I'd also suggest a good skimmer, this is the one thing that you should not cheap out on. I've gone through 3 skimmers because I didn't want to bite the bullet on the Tunze 9002 Nano DOC Skimmer. Now, I see it as one of my better investments.

Cutting out the section between Chambers 1 and 2 is a really easy way to increase flow into the overflow also.

The BioCube is a great first tank, expecially if you like to tinker and mod. :wink:

Aysha
03-04-2012, 02:48 AM
the firefish bit the dust. he got his head stuck in a rock.
I've been looking into a protein skimmer, I figure with the amount I've already spent on this tank there is no real reason to cheap out on one.
I built a quarantine tank out of a 6 gallon edge I found on kijiji that was already running salt. the polyps and the test fish seem to be doing well.

Aysha
03-12-2012, 03:47 AM
My Ph keeps crashing does anyone have any ideas
its done it 3 times since yesterday.
I had to treat the tank with ich attack for the last 2 weeks JOY!
and thats the main thing that's changed.

I've done 3 15 percent waterchanges in a week and a half .
yesterday after I finished one I noticed my chromis acting wierd.
Ph 7.2
added marine buffer and marine builder
ph 8.4
checked again today
ph.7.8

ammonia zero
nitrates zero
nirates zero

I feel like im a really really bad fish keeper
ANY ideas whats causing this

29 gallons
temp 27
35 lbs live rock
15 lbs live sand
various inverts
2 fish
salinity 35

lpsreefer
03-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Your salinity is at 1.35?

Aysha
03-12-2012, 04:13 PM
That's what I was told to keep it at to keep my polyps alive, and thats what I got adding half cup of coralife per gallon of water should I lower it?

lpsreefer
03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah a lot lower.
1.24-1.26 is the range you want.

Aysha
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
okay I'll start there, will this help with the ph issue?

lpsreefer
03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
The best way I found with reefs is just let them be on routine and dont mess around with them.
I would get your salt level down.

fishytime
03-12-2012, 10:11 PM
hold on before you go lowering the salinity.....two different ways to measure salinity......forget now exactly what they are called:redface:, but one measures out to 1.025ish and the other measures out to 35......

as for the ph.....dont worry about it too much.....a lot of time messing with it creates more issues (because of the swing) than if it is a little low or a little high but stable......

lpsreefer
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Good point. I never look at that side of my refractometer.
How are you measuring your salinity?

Aysha
03-13-2012, 01:00 AM
.35 and 1.35 are the same according to my refractometer
I changed it out a bit to 1.25
I won't mess with them anymore Ive done what I can and this hobby is starting to worry me

lpsreefer
03-13-2012, 01:14 AM
Lol. Just remember Keep It Stupid Simple.(kiss)
With my biocube all I do is small weekly water changes. And clean the skimmer once a week.

Aysha
03-13-2012, 01:17 AM
thats all I wanted and than things started going wrong...
my poor fish are now hanging out at the bottom of the tank rocking back and forth...

reefwars
03-13-2012, 01:20 AM
My Ph keeps crashing does anyone have any ideas
its done it 3 times since yesterday.
I had to treat the tank with ich attack for the last 2 weeks JOY!
and thats the main thing that's changed.

I've done 3 15 percent waterchanges in a week and a half .
yesterday after I finished one I noticed my chromis acting wierd.
Ph 7.2
added marine buffer and marine builder
ph 8.4
checked again today
ph.7.8

ammonia zero
nitrates zero
nirates zero

I feel like im a really really bad fish keeper
ANY ideas whats causing this

29 gallons
temp 27
35 lbs live rock
15 lbs live sand
various inverts
2 fish
salinity 35

if i were to take a guess your having troubles because the tank needs time to stabilize its not the same as cycling even a tank thats fully cycled will go through swings of different things from algae to parameter swings in its first year. even when using already cured rock the tank needs time to stabilize, then you can add livestock.when adding the first livestock its important to do it very slowly , add one small fish or invert and let the tank catch up with the newly aquired "bio load" after some more maturing time goes by and the tank is still doing well( which it will ) you can consider adding more fish( but slowly) the longer your tank matures without over working the bacteria the healthier it will be and alot less frustrations you will have.

what are you using in the bc for water flow???

if your tank is testing for 0 amonia i would think your fish died for other reasons, how did you go about adding them to your tank??? did you acclimate them to your tanks temp??

the less you do with your tank right now the better, its a hard tip to follow but just do your water changes, 10% average weekly, get testing for alkalinity,calcium and magnesium, nitrate and phosphate. keep the tank clean and give it time to age as it ages it becomes stronger and can handle alot of pollution:P

make sure your tank has ample flow, the temp stays consistent,salinity is consistent,water changes are regular and with some patience you will have a stable tank in a couple weeks and within a year you will have an established system capable of growing what you like and keeping what you can:):)

reefwars
03-13-2012, 01:21 AM
thats all I wanted and than things started going wrong...
my poor fish are now hanging out at the bottom of the tank rocking back and forth...

get your other powerhead in the tank and running, and aim it slightly towards the top of the water so that the water just ripples. i think you may have a problem with oxygen for the fish

reefwars
03-13-2012, 01:23 AM
dont add anymore medicins to the tank untill everything comes back to normal adding things to an unstable tank is a whole new problem that you dont need:):)

**** edit****

dont add anything to the tank right now for a bit thats not ran on your reef aquarium on a normal basis.

no buffers
no meds
no dosing

if you like you can run carbon and is a good idea:)

right now just test and do water changes it will stabilize on its own in no time in a 30g

Aysha
03-13-2012, 01:27 AM
but what about the ich my guy came with will not medicating him kill him? I suppose it can't get anyworse if these two don't make it due to my misshandling of info I think i'll sell off the tank. I kept reptiles for 10 years fresh water for my whole life but this is the most stressful thing .
so it goes.

reefwars
03-13-2012, 01:35 AM
but what about the ich my guy came with will not medicating him kill him? I suppose it can't get anyworse if these two don't make it due to my misshandling of info I think i'll sell off the tank. I kept reptiles for 10 years fresh water for my whole life but this is the most stressful thing .
so it goes.

you can use your qt tank for treating the fish you have now, a hypo treatment will rid them of it without adding anything to your bio cube.

in my honest opinion i personally would just
bring the fish back, or give them up to someone with a running qt for meds, its the best thing you can do if you need help finding someone to take them let me know i know people in edmonton who could help you, you can even get them back if they make it:):)

dont quit yet trust me its actually very simple, just go the lazy route for a couple weeks , just do water changes and add nothing to the tank.time is what makes a reef work the more time the better:)

if i was still in edmonton i would come over and give you some tips in person but maybe someone else will offer. i also reccommend visiting others tanks and seeing what they do and how they have stuff set up you will learn a tons in just a few short visits:)

any questions feel free to ask away:):)

Aysha
03-13-2012, 01:46 AM
problem is my quarentine tank started the trouble in the first place I took a small rock from it and put it in the bio. 24 hours later little white spots appear.
Im sketchy about having people over because its a very small bacholer pad.
Ive met many members on here in person and know the LFS staff by name. nobody seems sure of whats going on in my tank.
everything was fantastic up until I brought that quarantine tank home (note to self kijiji is a $!@!@#!) I'm just at a loss right now.
water changes once weekly 10 percent
run my test kits
don't touch it.
there's just too much information out there.

Coralgurl
03-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Did the person you bought the qt ever run copper in it? I know anything used in a copper treatment tank can not go into your display, except fish obviously...is there anyway you can find out what was used in that tank?

Aysha
03-13-2012, 01:57 AM
it was his display tank the only thing he ever put in it was ich attack back in October. I was given everything that was with it it came with:
a blenny (rehomed due to common sense)
a blue and yellow damsel DOA
4 crabs
1 turbo
a sexy shrimp.
and a candycane coral DOA

reefwars
03-13-2012, 02:02 AM
problem is my quarentine tank started the trouble in the first place I took a small rock from it and put it in the bio. 24 hours later little white spots appear.
Im sketchy about having people over because its a very small bacholer pad.
Ive met many members on here in person and know the LFS staff by name. nobody seems sure of whats going on in my tank.
everything was fantastic up until I brought that quarantine tank home (note to self kijiji is a $!@!@#!) I'm just at a loss right now.
water changes once weekly 10 percent
run my test kits
don't touch it.
there's just too much information out there.

a reeftank is a very strong thing doing amazing things and yet is also so fragile to changes.

every little thing you do to your tank affects it in some way.......... water changes one day, rock moving the next day, fish added the next day, inverts added, fish dies, coral added,fres water added,rock moved again,fish added......

there needs to be a "quiet time" where your not upsetting what the tank is supposed to do...grow......for me i do all my stuff on sundays i honestly try not to move stuff around too much and i just let it do its thing were not the creators just looking after it, were putting our own touches on it without interferring too much.

alot of the biggest problems people have in the hobby is trying to absord all the info too fast, and then doing too much to a system that cant handle it, its very hard to fix something your not sure why its broke;)
go slow and just do regular water changes, give it a couple of weeks and things will be back to par.

are you doing tests yourself or bringing to the lfs??? out of curiosity whats your lfs??;)

reefwars
03-13-2012, 02:04 AM
it was his display tank the only thing he ever put in it was ich attack back in October. I was given everything that was with it it came with:
a blenny (rehomed due to common sense)
a blue and yellow damsel DOA
4 crabs
1 turbo
a sexy shrimp.
and a candycane coral DOA

so whats in your biocube now for livestock???

nothing in the edge??

Aysha
03-13-2012, 02:05 AM
I do my tests myself and bring them to be double checked.
it's a good little fish store. not a big box crazy haus of fishy doom.

Aysha
03-13-2012, 02:08 AM
edge is empty . it has some water and 5 lbs LR in it which was going to be pulled.
what's in the biocube exactly:
*looks*
6 small crabs
1 sexy shrimp
1 coral beauty
1 chromi.

1 coral polyp tree
1 head of sand polyps
both are doing well

reefwars
03-13-2012, 02:13 AM
edge is empty . it has some water and 5 lbs LR in it which was going to be pulled.
what's in the biocube exactly:
*looks*
6 small crabs
1 sexy shrimp
1 coral beauty
1 chromi.

1 coral polyp tree
1 head of sand polyps
both are doing well

and both the cb and the chromis have spots?? all the time??

Aysha
03-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Just the CB
the cromis just hide all the time now.
is he being bullied?

reefwars
03-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Just the CB
the cromis just hide all the time now.
is he being bullied?

its possible but chromis do like to hide in the rockwork when they are scared or want out of the open they could be still getting use to you.

what are you feeding them??? it would help very much to make sure that they are getting garlic in their food if you are feeding frozen or flake just soak before adding:)

keep stress down in the tank so watch the two and make sure they are getting along day and at night alot of stuff goes down during the night;)

the ich can be in the tank and the fish do not necessarily die, its just important to keep the fish alive and strong......basically swimming and eating:)

Aysha
03-13-2012, 02:34 AM
they like to swim and they like to eat
what they eat:
the bits of green algae that grow on the rocks
new life spectrum marine (contains garlic)
their treats:
omega 1 freeze dried mysis shrimp
tetra micro crabs
seaweed

thank you for taking the time to help me get this sorted out.
just keep swimming swimming swimming......

reefwars
03-13-2012, 03:10 AM
they like to swim and they like to eat
what they eat:
the bits of green algae that grow on the rocks
new life spectrum marine (contains garlic)
their treats:
omega 1 freeze dried mysis shrimp
tetra micro crabs
seaweed

thank you for taking the time to help me get this sorted out.
just keep swimming swimming swimming......

even with garlic in the nls pellets i would still buy some garlic extract and really soak it in:):) this will help they fight off the parasite.its also important not to stress them out.

Aysha
03-18-2012, 12:06 AM
Everyone looks much much better.
I hooked up the other pump and they perked up immediately.
I also ordered the filter basket from intank because I find the stock setup pretty ineffective.
yay! thanks!

when I turned the other pump on I noticed there were pinky nail sized white shrimps popping up . What are these ? where did they come from? will my fish eat them :)

Cugio
03-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Maybe they are Mysis shrimp.

Aysha
03-18-2012, 12:38 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423468_10150587380191736_681831735_9364946_2703503 41_n.jpg

Aysha
03-18-2012, 04:23 AM
yeah fuzzy crap photo my 5D is in the shop. (don't drop an slr it makes bad things happen) anyway I'm wanting to turn my lighting to blue maybe the 36 Watt Actinic ? or blue LEDS but I think for the LEDs I would need the mod kit is this correct?

I'd like something like this
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6449882689_f27cdcb488_z.jpg

how do I set up lighting like that?

scubadawg
03-18-2012, 05:01 AM
I know how you feel I dropped my D700 on the back side (viewfinder), in front of the Sydney Opera house, was still working but cannot manual focus, relied on auofocus, hoping it was OK, $600.00 repair bill.:sad::sad::sad:

It was a good thing, it happened on the 2nd last day of my trip.

Reefie
03-18-2012, 05:29 AM
To just add more blue to your lighting, you can consider the 12" Ecoxotic Stunner Strip in 445nm Blue. I use 2 of them that run 24/7 to act as Moonlights and also to supplement the colour of my LED. Contact Martin from Modular LED, he is a sponsor on here. Should be about $50 or so for the Stunner and then $20 or so for the power adapter.

Aysha
03-18-2012, 05:36 AM
and I can just swap out my stock lighting for those?

bignose
03-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Make sure there is enough room for your mag cleaner to move freely between the rocks and your glass it will make maintenance less stressful. Glue down your frags with that big snail before they land in the sand.

Welcome to Canreef, this site has made my hobby a very good experience.

Aysha
03-18-2012, 05:49 AM
I had that thought with the snail as well, however he passed away a week after I got him. I really should re arrange my rocks a little bit.

Aysha
03-19-2012, 01:22 AM
I got some beautiful corals today I shall get pics up post haste.

Aysha
03-19-2012, 03:25 AM
a fuzzy smartphone image
ive lost 2 camera chargers in a manner of days

Aysha
03-19-2012, 03:27 AM
helps when my attachments work

Aysha
03-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Coral beauty was doing really well over the weekend he was eating and his colours were bright.

today it looks grim.
the poor fishes yellow areas are a pale cream colour his fins are torn and bloody. there is a film over his eyes. I did the best I could but I guess this guy wasn't meant to be. he's alive but I suspect he'll be gone by morning.
poor little buddy.
paramaters are still reading fine
because the ich outbreak happened 3 or 4 days after I brought him home and he was a new arrival the LFS suggested that the trip may have just been too much for him.
so it goes.

fishytime
03-21-2012, 05:51 AM
sorry about your CB....the other symptoms dont sound like ick....I suppose they could be a result of stress from the ick.....you can have my CB if you wanna come get em (little coral nipping bugger):mrgreen:

Ginu
03-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Coral beauty was doing really well over the weekend he was eating and his colours were bright.

today it looks grim.
the poor fishes yellow areas are a pale cream colour his fins are torn and bloody. there is a film over his eyes. I did the best I could but I guess this guy wasn't meant to be. he's alive but I suspect he'll be gone by morning.
poor little buddy.
paramaters are still reading fine
because the ich outbreak happened 3 or 4 days after I brought him home and he was a new arrival the LFS suggested that the trip may have just been too much for him.
so it goes.

That sounds more like marine velvet... Very similar to Ich in some ways
I would strongly recommend reading up on this disease as its quite brutal. I've never had it myself but if it's either Ich or marine velvet, I would recommend not addin anything to the tank for 6 weeks, (I can't remember) and during this this time I'd keep the tank as clean as possible and perhaps add a uv light to the mix; some people believe in uv lights some don't, but I don't think it hurts.

Once that cycle is complete and fish less I'd add one small cheap fish to see how it does... It's mean but safer than throwing away lots of $ for fish. I spoke to the owner of a small lfs and he was having a really tough time getting good and healthy marine fish.

Also pay close attention to the lfs as they are more than likely to have diseases in the tanks. Is the lfs reputable? Are the aquariums clean? Typically I pay close attention and watch the fish I like for a while. Sometimes I pay for fishy and have them hold it for a week if they are newly brought in.

I'm sorry to hear about the CB and hope the disease doesn't spread.

letsgofishin
03-21-2012, 07:57 AM
[I'm sorry to hear about the CB and hope the disease doesn't spread.[/quote]
Sometimes I pay for fishy and have them hold it for a week if they are newly brought in

one of the girls & my LFS actually just recommended me doing this...this way I can make sure they are healthy and eating and if some thing happens during the week and he does'nt make it, I get store credit to buy a new fish

Aysha
03-21-2012, 02:27 PM
sorry about your CB....the other symptoms dont sound like ick....I suppose they could be a result of stress from the ick.....you can have my CB if you wanna come get em (little coral nipping bugger):mrgreen:

that's very sweet of you but I will have to decline .I lost the poor bugger during the night. I want to hold off for a few weeks from adding more fish.
the corals are fine and the other inverts beautiful.
the nasty symptoms I described happened in 48 hours tops. he matched the description of ich before then.
the chromis is fine last I recall but he was hiding due to the CB bashing himself on the filter and powerhead like a well dying fish. breaks my heart to see them go.

I only go to places where the tanks are clean (these ones are on their own system) with hand caught fish (no spearing no cyanide that makes me shudder)

that is a good idea to pre buy my fish. I'll keep that in mind.

Reefie
03-21-2012, 09:44 PM
and I can just swap out my stock lighting for those?

Regarding the Stunner LED Strips, they're mainly used for supplemental lighting and colour.

If you want more than that, an easy solution are the Ecoxotic Panorama PRO LED fixtures. You could easily double-side tape them inside the hood. They are water-proof, but I've always preferred to keep all my lighting inside the safety of the BioCube splashguard.

Sorry to hear about your CB, I just lost my Flame Angel, Purple Tang, and a couple others in my QT. Had and issue with the Heater. It wasn't calibrated properly and cooked all the fish.

Ginu
03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Regarding the Stunner LED Strips, they're mainly used for supplemental lighting and colour.

If you want more than that, an easy solution are the Ecoxotic Panorama PRO LED fixtures. You could easily double-side tape them inside the hood. They are water-proof, but I've always preferred to keep all my lighting inside the safety of the BioCube splashguard.

Sorry to hear about your CB, I just lost my Flame Angel, Purple Tang, and a couple others in my QT. Had and issue with the Heater. It wasn't calibrated properly and cooked all the fish.

Hey Ken thanks for the frag, I'm curios why does everyone run a heater in their tanks? I've been monitoring the temp at night and it doesn't drop below 77 which I'm quite OK with as my chiller chills it down to 77 during the day. I have two heaters, however I have had a incident where the heater got stuck in the on position and cooked all the fish in my freshwater tank a few years back and since then I've been running heater-less without any casualties :)

Reefie
03-21-2012, 09:49 PM
I'd recommend QT-ing all fish before putting them into your DT, 2 weeks would be a minimum.

I'm QT-ing for 2 weeks with Paraguard, and then 2 weeks without.

A friend just told me about the 3-3-3 rule of thumb. The first hurdle is 3 Days to get a fish settled and eating, 3 Weeks to make sure they don't have any diseases, and if they make it past 3 Months, they will live for a long time.

that's very sweet of you but I will have to decline .I lost the poor bugger during the night. I want to hold off for a few weeks from adding more fish.
the corals are fine and the other inverts beautiful.
the nasty symptoms I described happened in 48 hours tops. he matched the description of ich before then.
the chromis is fine last I recall but he was hiding due to the CB bashing himself on the filter and powerhead like a well dying fish. breaks my heart to see them go.

I only go to places where the tanks are clean (these ones are on their own system) with hand caught fish (no spearing no cyanide that makes me shudder)

that is a good idea to pre buy my fish. I'll keep that in mind.

Bblinks
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Hey Ken thanks for the frag, I'm curios why does everyone run a heater in their tanks? I've been monitoring the temp at night and it doesn't drop below 77 which I'm quite OK with as my chiller chills it down to 77 during the day. I have two heaters, however I have had a incident where the heater got stuck in the on position and cooked all the fish in my freshwater tank a few years back and since then I've been running heater-less without any casualties :)

I don't use a heater in my tank, its stable at 26 degrees all day everyday but it does heat up a bit in the summer.

Ginu
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't use a heater in my tank, its stable at 26 degrees all day everyday but it does heat up a bit in the summer.

It will be interesting in the summer with the MHI lights and Chiller running in the living-room which is close to the kitchen and my wife spends all her time in the kitchen :) I am expecting some angry wife comments coming my way this summer, however fish will be nice and cool behind the chiller :)

With that being said, I will get a AC unit as my wife is going through pregnancy this summer and the last thing i want her to endure is Vancouver summer heat :)

Reefie
03-21-2012, 09:56 PM

A Heater is used to keep Temp swings from happening and to keep a constant temperature. A temperature swing of more than 2 degrees Fahrenheit can stress out the more sensitive fish. I use both the Chiller AND Heater to keep things more stable, although my place gets really hot in the Summer from all the windows.

You're welcome for the frag, under lots of light, the base goes neon green with purple-ish polyps. It's a pretty hardy and fast growing coral, soon enough you'll be fragging it. :biggrin:

Reefie
03-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Aysha,

You can take a look at the thread below for the Panorama PRO's

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=695896#post695896

Aysha
03-22-2012, 02:31 AM
I looked at those last night. I think that is exactly what I am looking for :mrgreen:
I am sorry for the loss of your fishies. I cannot imagine it gets any easier with time.
Your rule of 3's I like it.

after looking at photos I must have mistaken the disease for ich due to a few white patches. sadly it looks like I was mistaken

Aysha
03-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Steve had a sale over at RC he helped me get over the idea of no fish for 2 months by selling my a bunch of corals! my tank is empty but it is getting better looking!

I picked up a neat blue leather corals and what was supposed to be 2 mushroom heads but after I got it home it turned into about 8 and a few misc frags.
YAYYYYY!

He has been very helpful in finding out why my fish got sick. I know now where the ONLY place my fish will come from will be.:mrgreen:

Aysha
03-31-2012, 11:11 PM
so I cant have/not buying anymore fish for the next few months.
so I decided to make all the alterations my tank needs now.
I replaced the pumps and the whole back end filter system (thanks inTank)
I also added another bunch of corals THANKS WAYNE!

Next month?
Panoramic pros. I'm already sick of bulbs and I haven't even had to buy new ones yet.

Reefie
03-31-2012, 11:41 PM
so I cant have/not buying anymore fish for the next few months.
so I decided to make all the alterations my tank needs now.
I replaced the pumps and the whole back end filter system (thanks inTank)
I also added another bunch of corals THANKS WAYNE!

Next month?
Panoramic pros. I'm already sick of bulbs and I haven't even had to buy new ones yet.

Haha! I know EXACTLY what you mean, I yanked out the Coralife PC's about 2-3 months after I had the tank running.

I'm currently running 2 Vertex Illumilux Marino Bianco's 7K White/450nm Blue, 2 Panorama PRO 12K White/445nm Blue, and just added the Panorama PRO RGB. I added the RGB for more spectrum and growth.

I'll admit that they're pretty neat, you can dial in whatever colour you want out of them. Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Pink, etc.

I took an iPhone video of it fading through 7 colours. I use that during the day to get the full spectrum, and on Blue at night for moonlight.

http://youtu.be/4iJeARfe7Cc

Like I said in one of my previous posts, there are endless upgrades you can make with the BC29. :lol:

The ONE thing that I would recommend, if you have some extra $$$, is get an MP-10 ES. No need for the Wireless, save yourself the $50 for more coral or fish. :wink: It was one of the BEST purchases I've made for the BC29!

Another thing I'd also suggest is the Tunze 9002 Nano Skimmer. I went through 2 other skimmers before bucking up and buying the Tunze. I was trying to save money with the other 2, but in the end it cost me more.

I'm on Week #2 of my BC29 being fallow, luckily I loaded up on SPS to keep me entertained. I've got 4 fish in QT treated with Hypo at the moment. I ONLY have 8 more weeks to go on being fallow. Going 10 weeks just to be safe from Ich.

Aysha
03-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for showing that to me. I cant decide between blue or magenta so maybe the RGB is just what I'm looking for.
I asked and I was told 2 pro lights and 2 60 watt adapters over in the other thread. Does that sound right?
turns out Modular LED is located in Red deer (1.5 hours from here) so I may just go in for a visit.

also what is a MP-10 ES?

Reefie
04-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks for showing that to me. I cant decide between blue or magenta so maybe the RGB is just what I'm looking for.
I asked and I was told 2 pro lights and 2 60 watt adapters over in the other thread. Does that sound right?
turns out Modular LED is located in Red deer (1.5 hours from here) so I may just go in for a visit.

also what is a MP-10 ES?

You will only need one 60W adapter, just get the 2-way splitter and you can run both. I would suggest getting the Dimmer Switch and use that with the 12K White/445nm Blue as they are REALLY bright. For the RGB, you will also need to get the RGB controller, it's really neat! It's the remote control that you can use up to 30 feet away.

I got mine from Martin at Modular also, super fast shipping!

The MP-10 ES is a controllable powerhead that has one side inside the tank, and the actual motor on the outside of the tank. It keeps the heat out of the tank.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wp-vortech3b/Ecotech+Marine+VorTech+MP10+ES+Water+Pump.html

Aysha
04-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I looked at the controller,
as for the adapters thats good I only need one that makes more sense. I was going to pick up a dimmer too. The powerhead is more than I paid for the whole tank LOL it's nice but a bit too funky for what I'm looking at spending.

Reefie
04-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I looked at the controller,
as for the adapters thats good I only need one that makes more sense. I was going to pick up a dimmer too. The powerhead is more than I paid for the whole tank LOL it's nice but a bit too funky for what I'm looking at spending.

The one thing that I have learned about this addiction is that the money you save up front on cheaper equipment can and will cost you a lot more when you will be upgrading it later. However, to each and everyone's own.

A cheaper and reliable alternative to the MP-10 is the following:
Tunze 6015 Turbelle Nanostream
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/tz-tsn6015/Tunze+Turbelle+Nanostream+Pump+-+6015.html

I had 2 of these running in my tank. I'm an SPS junkie, so I wanted a lot of flow. One will probably suffice for what you may be looking for.

Aysha
04-01-2012, 12:59 AM
that's more what I'd be wanting.
you have a valid point however being new to the hobby I want to keep the spending "down" for the next few months until I can be sure I'm in it for the long haul. I mean I've spent hundreds and hundreds already but hundreds become thousands very quickly :wink: with very little return on investment if I decide it's not for me.
If I decide to upgrade? the 66 gallon RSM is going with it. Starter hobbyist with a starter set up.

Reefie
04-01-2012, 01:16 AM
I'd also recommend this to create a bit of irregular flow on the return pipe of the main pump inside the tank.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/hy-wrd/Hydor+Rotating+Water+Deflector.html

Edmonton newbie
04-01-2012, 01:23 AM
i do believe in the pay it forward thing so if you want to see how an mp10 would work in your tank i could LEND you the one from my wifes tank for a day or two to see if you like it before you go running out to spent that cash on one

Reefie
04-01-2012, 01:28 AM
i do believe in the pay it forward thing so if you want to see how an mp10 would work in your tank i could LEND you the one from my wifes tank for a day or two to see if you like it before you go running out to spent that cash on one

Kudos to you! That is a GENEROUS offer! The only bad thing is that Aysha might fall in love with it and end up spending the extra $$$.

Edmonton newbie
04-01-2012, 01:31 AM
just like my local crack dealer, err i mean lfs, first day is free lol

Aysha
04-01-2012, 02:46 AM
hahaha pretty much I am easily persuaded sometimes lol. I may have to take you up on that.

Ginu
04-01-2012, 05:59 AM

Awesome offer and very generous. A MP10 is on my list as well however I've never had the opportunity to try one.

Reefie
04-01-2012, 11:13 PM
Awesome offer and very generous. A MP10 is on my list as well however I've never had the opportunity to try one.

My advice to you is.......don't do it........................if you do.................

You WILL buy one. :wink:

Aysha
04-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I might be safe I put my piggy bank in lockdown lol

Ginu
04-02-2012, 03:34 AM
My advice to you is.......don't do it........................if you do.................

You WILL buy one. :wink:

Well, now I got the stunner strips from you(thank you) just need to get a transformer(can't wait to take the trip to oa, just a little far from north van) and next purchase is either a mp10 or tunze ATO.

Topping up the 34g is not very flattering so might go ato first than mp10 as I have quite a bit of flow in my tank with the two main pumps and the koralia 1

Aysha
04-09-2012, 05:59 AM
So I bit the bullet and retired my 5D (it's for sale if anyone is interested lol) I dropped my favorite lens and the camera was about 5 years old so we replaced it with a 7D no idea how any of the buttons work yet so here's a few quick snaps with the P button (hold down P and pray) and the 50 mm

I'd like to take the time to thank Flash,Subman,Wayne and Steve for getting me out of my post fish funk and helping me actually enjoy my tank.
things are growing nicely and I haven't lost any inverts (knock on wood)
as you can see the bandit dr.Craw thinks he's bigger than he is and the sexy shrimp is content to rock back and forth on a bit of zoas.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/575066_10150628528911736_681831735_9519856_1600864 967_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/578264_10150628529051736_681831735_9519857_1255565 976_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/546052_10150628529126736_681831735_9519858_9778253 2_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553382_10150628529191736_681831735_9519859_1824749 932_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/546137_10150628529281736_681831735_9519860_6135129 65_n.jpg

Aysha
04-10-2012, 01:10 AM
So my significant other loves me lol. He went to pick up some GSP from a member here (I still want more if anyone can spare some ) and came home with 3 little bits of it and a devils hand leather and a pistol shrimp. I have a fondness for shrimp you may have noticed.

Aysha
04-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Would adding a better skimmer get rid of some of the Cyanobacteria in my tank (red stuff growing all over my gravel) it seems I have to vacuum it all the time to keep it under control. I put a fission skimmer in the sump to take the edge off temporarily.(I paid a whole 15.00 for it just to learn how skimmers work) I use phosphate pads in my media basket with regular filter floss and a bag of charcoal.
using treated tap water at the moment.

Wayne
04-10-2012, 03:28 AM
Tank is looking good! Did those mushrooms make it?

lpsreefer
04-10-2012, 03:30 AM
I had a bad cyan break put when I first got my bc29. I found the best solution was to increase flow. Changed to return pump to a rio 6or 8( a lot of people are also using maxi jet 1200 or 900)
I also use two hydor nano 425.

Aysha
04-10-2012, 05:16 AM
yep the shroomies made it. :) I have a ton of those now Bear just brought home a fuzzy mushroom today with the other misc coral stuff.

I am using a maxi 900 atm.

Ginu
04-11-2012, 05:57 AM
So my significant other loves me lol. He went to pick up some GSP from a member here (I still want more if anyone can spare some ) and came home with 3 little bits of it and a devils hand leather and a pistol shrimp. I have a fondness for shrimp you may have noticed.

Add a goby that pairs with the pistol shrimp and enjoy :)
I love my pair, although they decided to open shop at the back of the tank...

Here is a quick vid of them in action: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr6sh2QSb34&feature=results_video&lr=1&ob=0)

Aysha
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
lol I think mine set up shop in the back as well...dang critters.
maybe a watchmen goby in the future. I'm a bit of a nerd so the name appeals to me lol. Also they are cute. Bear wanted a Yasha until we saw the price tag.

Ginu
04-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Yashas are expensive :(

Yellow watchman are pretty and pair with a tiger pistol.

Aysha
04-11-2012, 06:04 PM
I love the video.
I think I will get one when I can have fish again. :)
thank you for being so helpful I'm starting to fall for this hobby.

also I talked to the LFS ownerwhere I got the CB from and he told me "there is no such thing as salt water velvet it was SAND sticking to his scales and he was healthy here and you should have dumped copper in your tank) Quote. Yes it was that garbled.

Needless to say I was BAFFLED. So now I will only buy fish from Steve.

I now go up to my fiance and tell him in a sing song voice...hunny? did you know there is no such thing as salt water velvet? or when something goes wrong it's "oh. it's just sand stuck to it."
live and learn.

PS I need coral epoxy I can use under water to secure a few small frags to my rock. Which one?
(you may notice I keep all my questions to my tank journal it keeps me organized on this giant forum)

Ginu
04-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I love the video.
I think I will get one when I can have fish again. :)
thank you for being so helpful I'm starting to fall for this hobby.

also I talked to the LFS ownerwhere I got the CB from and he told me "there is no such thing as salt water velvet it was SAND sticking to his scales and he was healthy here and you should have dumped copper in your tank) Quote. Yes it was that garbled.

Needless to say I was BAFFLED. So now I will only buy fish from Steve.

I now go up to my fiance and tell him in a sing song voice...hunny? did you know there is no such thing as salt water velvet? or when something goes wrong it's "oh. it's just sand stuck to it."
live and learn.

PS I need coral epoxy I can use under water to secure a few small frags to my rock. Which one?
(you may notice I keep all my questions to my tank journal it keeps me organized on this giant forum)

Sorry but I don't agree with that LFS... 1st there is Marine velvet (http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=83) (something he is not aware of at least it seems so) and second there is Marine ICH (http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=78) (again something he is not aware of if he thinks the fish had sand stuck to him). Also don't quote me on this but correct me if I'm wrong... His advice was to dump copper into the tank... this should never happen as copper should only be used into a hospital tank and invertebres and corals do not handle copper well...
As I've said before, stay away from that LFS because the guy doesnt seem to be knowledgeable at all and even gives the wrong advice.

Aysha
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
my thoughts exactly.
I was heartbroken when the big guy got sick so I researched and researched. I was going to bring him my copy of the new marine aquarium but I figured that'd go down like a lead zeppelin.

Aysha
04-12-2012, 03:41 AM
so I went to check on my tank and there is a 3inch pile of sand at the front where my Kenya tree used to be LOL I wonder who is responsible for that ...
those things can DIG HOLY erm COW!!!!:mrgreen:

Ginu
04-12-2012, 05:33 PM
so I went to check on my tank and there is a 3inch pile of sand at the front where my Kenya tree used to be LOL I wonder who is responsible for that ...
those things can DIG HOLY erm COW!!!!:mrgreen:

Don't underestimate the digging power of a tiger pistol shrimp... the little suckers are well oiled machines.

Aysha
04-16-2012, 03:47 AM
So I just murdered my first aptasia! and nearly got nailed by a hot pink bristle worm in the process! I'm a reef keeper now!

I tried using the aquastick epoxy on my corals and it failed miserably now looking for another option.

Bblinks
04-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Boston coral farm super glue or a bulk reef supply's glue is also good. BTW you are not a true reef keeper until you get a figure full of bristles!:mrgreen:

subman
04-16-2012, 04:52 AM
Boston coral farm super glue or a bulk reef supply's glue is also good. BTW you are not a true reef keeper until you get a figure full of bristles!:mrgreen:

...and glue your fingers together (or fingers to some other body part lol)

fishytime
04-16-2012, 05:25 AM
. BTW you are not a true reef keeper until you get a figure full of bristles!:mrgreen:

dude you are getting far too intimate with your reef

I've found DD's epoxy my favorite....its the only one Ive used that actually gets schticky

Aysha
04-16-2012, 06:36 PM
lol I've glued my fingers and figures together hundreds of times I think I've got er nailed (glued?) down to a science...now if only I could use medical grade prosthetic adhesive in my fish tank.....

Reefie
04-16-2012, 09:49 PM
To properly and easily mount corals to rock, I use the epoxy-putty-epoxy method.

Just try to remember that a little goes a long way. When using epoxy, the more you use, the longer it takes to set and cure.

Ginu
04-18-2012, 01:49 AM
So I just murdered my first aptasia! and nearly got nailed by a hot pink bristle worm in the process! I'm a reef keeper now!

I tried using the aquastick epoxy on my corals and it failed miserably now looking for another option.

You should really have gotten a peppermint shrimp to take care of the aptasia problem, especially since you love shrimps :)

I got a peppermint shrimp for my tank thinking that it would not survive a day with a very large coral branded a large cleaner shrimp and a pistol, but the peppermint shrimp is still alive two months later and cleaned my aptasia issue within a day :)

Aysha
04-18-2012, 02:03 AM
I had one that must have snuck in on a coral as it was on a newer frag. I'll pick up a peppermint next time I'm at the fish place. I was worried el pisto would eat him.

Ginu
04-18-2012, 02:12 AM
I had one that must have snuck in on a coral as it was on a newer frag. I'll pick up a peppermint next time I'm at the fish place. I was worried el pisto would eat him.

Naa pistol sits under his rocks but obviously if the pepper is dumb enough to enter the pistol's cave some sparks might jump...
I was really afraid of the Coral Branded Shrimp which is huge in my tank along with his cleaner to devour the little pepper but they all good...

Aysha
04-18-2012, 02:20 AM
I suppose that makes sense my sexy shrimp is still doing his thing all up in the zoas if that didn't get eaten it must be okay. How big of a cleaner crew can I safely have with a few fish?

Ginu
04-18-2012, 03:07 AM
I suppose that makes sense my sexy shrimp is still doing his thing all up in the zoas if that didn't get eaten it must be okay. How big of a cleaner crew can I safely have with a few fish?

I got about 4-5 hermits and 4 nassarius snails along with some other few snails which I don't know their name and have the following:
Large coral branded shrimp
Large cleaner skunk shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Tiger pistol shrimp
Wheelers goby, although it could be some other kind of goby. He paired nicely with the pistol
Cleaner wrasse
Two black clowns with their gigantic sea anemone
Bicolor blenny - a fish with a ton of personality

All this is sitting in a 34g AIO and would like to add another fish, just not sure what so I'm leaving it for now. I had a foxface (I know he didn't belong in a 34g, but a long story) which sadly died about two weeks after it was rescued.

gregzz4
04-18-2012, 04:05 AM
and nearly got nailed by a hot pink bristle worm in the process!
I see nobody remarked about your worm. If it's Red, you may want to get rid of it when you can as it may be a nasty Fire Worm :2gunfire:
But it could also be harmless.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/5/short

TheAmphinomidae (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/short.htm)- Amphinoids are also known as "fireworms" and have calcareous setae filled with poisonous secretions. When irritated, they erect their sharp setae which break off at a touch releasing their poisonous contents into the wound. Most species are found on corals, rocks and other hard substrata covered with attached organisms. They swim well and can be brilliantly colored. All but one species can be considered harmless and are great scavengers.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm1.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm2.jpg
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm3.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm4.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm5.jpg
Species shown below : Hermodice carunculata - This is the one species of fireworm that you do not want in your aquarium as it is a known predator of corals.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm6.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm7.jpg
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm8.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm9.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm10.jpg
The below pictured specimen is a Pherecardia striata, also a member of the fireworms and is a scavenger.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm11.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm12.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm13.jpg
Genus Pareurythoe , which has very small caruncles.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm14.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm15.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm16.jpg
Eurythoe complanata - Probably the most commonly found worm and is a harmless scavenger, a benefit to our systems.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm17.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm18.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm19.jpg

Ginu
04-19-2012, 05:00 AM
I see nobody remarked about your worm. If it's Red, you may want to get rid of it when you can as it may be a nasty Fire Worm :2gunfire:
But it could also be harmless.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/5/short

TheAmphinomidae (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/short.htm)- Amphinoids are also known as "fireworms" and have calcareous setae filled with poisonous secretions. When irritated, they erect their sharp setae which break off at a touch releasing their poisonous contents into the wound. Most species are found on corals, rocks and other hard substrata covered with attached organisms. They swim well and can be brilliantly colored. All but one species can be considered harmless and are great scavengers.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm1.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm2.jpg
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm3.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm4.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm5.jpg
Species shown below : Hermodice carunculata - This is the one species of fireworm that you do not want in your aquarium as it is a known predator of corals.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm6.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm7.jpg
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm8.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm9.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm10.jpg
The below pictured specimen is a Pherecardia striata, also a member of the fireworms and is a scavenger.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm11.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm12.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm13.jpg
Genus Pareurythoe , which has very small caruncles.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm14.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm15.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm16.jpg
Eurythoe complanata - Probably the most commonly found worm and is a harmless scavenger, a benefit to our systems.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm17.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm18.jpg http://www.chucksaddiction.com/fireworm19.jpg

Those are some ugly worms... yuck

Aysha
04-20-2012, 06:21 PM
it was tiny the size of my thumb nail it floated off into the sump when I moved the rock.

I bought a peppermint shrimp last night and found him this morning exploring the rock that I was having troubles with. Good shrimpy! you get a promotion.

I just really like the crabs and shrimp and all the life that this little tank is supporting! their are little bity STASRFISHES! (shut up it's exciting to me)

I can't wait to add fishes again I'd like a ebil angel and a pair of mocha clowns I think.

we are looking at a house in the next few months as well so they may be a housewarming present to me lol.

My tank is looking awesome! thanks again for all your guys help!!!

Ginu
04-20-2012, 06:24 PM
it was tiny the size of my thumb nail it floated off into the sump when I moved the rock.

I bought a peppermint shrimp last night and found him this morning exploring the rock that I was having troubles with. Good shrimpy! you get a promotion.

I just really like the crabs and shrimp and all the life that this little tank is supporting! their are little bity STASRFISHES! (shut up it's exciting to me)

I can't wait to add fishes again I'd like a ebil angel and a pair of mocha clowns I think.

we are looking at a house in the next few months as well so they may be a housewarming present to me lol.

My tank is looking awesome! thanks again for all your guys help!!!

Anytime and I'm glad your peppermint shrimp got a promotion :) hehe

I told you they will not let you down. I love mine although is not as pretty looking as the CBS or cleaner :(

Aysha
04-20-2012, 06:37 PM
I wanted a skunk cleaner soooo bad.
but they're kind of more than I want to spend you know?
I don't know if he's worth 10.00 more than any of my other shrimps.

I'd LOVE another sexy but I'm not paying 20.00 for something the size of my thumb nail (although I'm glad I got to adopt the one I have)

No more snails though those things are tanks; always making my coral fall over.... although their algae eating skills do NOT disappoint.

Ginu
04-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I wanted a skunk cleaner soooo bad.
but they're kind of more than I want to spend you know?
I don't know if he's worth 10.00 more than any of my other shrimps.

I'd LOVE another sexy but I'm not paying 20.00 for something the size of my thumb nail (although I'm glad I got to adopt the one I have)

No more snails though those things are tanks; always making my coral fall over.... although their algae eating skills do NOT disappoint.

I gotta teach mine somehow to chow down some more algae... they seem to graze where in odd areas in my tank...

Aysha
04-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Well the pistol ate my peppermint (confirmed) and my sexy is MIA after a series of loud pop pop pop noises coming from my tank he's also managed to cause a near rockslide and bury a ton of coral so I put him up for trade. the bugger is too destructive for my small tank...if anyone wants him in exchange for a skunk cleaner or a pair of sexys maybe? let me know.

Ginu
04-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Sorry to hear about the pistol going cannibalistic on you...
Just out of curiosity what are you feeding him and do make sure the pistol gets it?

I find it weird that he ate your other shrimp tbh...
In my 34 gallon AIO I have a tiger pistol, coral branded, cleaner shrimp and a small peppermint which I thought would die witin a day but after two months he's still alive and well.

For food i feed them shrimps which I buy in Safeway frozen and chop them up. For my anemone I feed it half a shrimp every week or so. For the pistol shrimp and goby, I make sure they both get their share and sometimes it gets very annoying because the female clown is very aggressive and even though I make sure she has enough food, she will steal the sinking pieces of shrimp and feeds her anemone. The male clown on the other hand is not like that... Guess she's in charge. :)

Now I think I feed a little too much because I want to make sure they all eat and dont starve, so I am fighting a little algae but in the long run I'll get that down as well.

I really hope you get it all figured it as this hobby is very rewarding once everything is dialed in and runs smoothly.

Ginu
04-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Also I forgot to mention and not sure what your tank looks line in terms of landscape, but they do need a landscape with a lot of caves and crevices so they can hide, escape another invertebrate going after them and also keep in mind they become very vulnerable when molting and right after...

I have quite a bit of rock In my tank placed in a horseshoe and quite talk at the back resting on the back wall; this way they all get enough space to call home.
When the coral branded is awake, the cleaner usually goes behind and sleeps and viceversa. My peppermint is nocturnal as well and he gets chased around often but he gets away easy through the rocks since the other two have a tough time squeezing.
Now anOther thing I find weird is how did the pistol catch the shrimp as the pistol is always under or around his rocks...
In regards to the rockslide, they will cause rockslides if the rocks are not properly secured and with a very deep sandbed.

Aysha
04-30-2012, 02:05 AM
found the sexy :)
I don't know how the peppermint was caught maybe he wasn't doing all that well one can never tell with shrimp.
I feed mine a mix of New life spectrum,nori, and shrimp pellets.

Ginu
04-30-2012, 10:51 PM
found the sexy :)
I don't know how the peppermint was caught maybe he wasn't doing all that well one can never tell with shrimp.
I feed mine a mix of New life spectrum,nori, and shrimp pellets.

I was looking through your early shots and I would suggest picking up some more LR and going higher up on the back wall as it seems like the rockwork is a little shallow and shrimps would probable meet eachother on regular basis.

Here is a shot of my tank a little while ago for an idea and I still want to go even higher on the back wall:

http://oi39.tinypic.com/iwhnav.jpg

I think having more LR would be beneficial in terms of filtration and creating more spots where shrimps can hide and sleep when the other ones are out.

I will take another shot today and post it as my corals grew like crazy over the past two weeks or so.

Aysha
05-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Ive got 40lbs in there I can't fit anymore LOL

I am moving to a house in the very near future and will have to dismantle the tank anyway. I can add some more hides to it at that time.

Ginu
05-01-2012, 01:59 AM
Ive got 40lbs in there I can't fit anymore LOL

I am moving to a house in the very near future and will have to dismantle the tank anyway. I can add some more hides to it at that time.

Can you take a pic of the setup now? Perhaps I'm looking at older pics and I'm curious what the scape looks like.

Ginu
05-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Here is the tank after 2.5 months. I tried to create as many caves as possible in order to have the little critters get away. The back side of the wall is made out of 3 layers of rock stacked on each-other and they are not glued; I'm hoping the tiger pistol shrimp and the goby will not create a rockslide anytime soon :)

http://oi50.tinypic.com/5xv1g.jpghttp://oi49.tinypic.com/2sb2y2r.jpg

arash53
05-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Looking great Chris. get some Ricoridas for the sides on the sand and couple Acans or open brain for the front. also I would move the power head on the side or move it a bit up , and add a piece of live rock on the top of the rock your yellow poly is and mount your frogspawn there :biggrin:

Ginu
05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Looking great Chris. get some Ricoridas for the sides on the sand and couple Acans or open brain for the front. also I would move the power head on the side or move it a bit up , and add a piece of live rock on the top of the rock your yellow poly is and mount your frogspawn there :biggrin:

Hey I still have the two pieces of rock from you :) so most likely I shall rescape soon and go higher on the back wall.
Also I cant take up space on the sand as my sand-dollar will hate me :( and hes doing a fine job of keeping the sand mighty white :)

In regards to the power-head... I hate that damn thing, its big bulky and casts a large shadow in the tank :( not to mention I have to clean it of algae on weekly basis.... very annoying.
I have a list of things I want to buy and cant do them all at once unfortunately; its either a MP10, Tunze ato or upgrade my D90 DSLR to the D7000 and sell the D90. I went to J&L on Sunday right before stopping by your place to get something and was very undecided so I didn't get any tank upgrades.

Aysha
05-14-2012, 07:23 AM
I had to pull the tank apart to get the pistol out of there!
I added an extra bit of rock and well "urchie"
here's a few snaps with the Sony tx10
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/560082_10150776997186736_681831735_9773772_2146339 351_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/392421_10150776997211736_681831735_9773773_5988541 5_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/560420_10150776997506736_681831735_9773776_1687730 976_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/579661_10150776997596736_681831735_9773777_2466279 61_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554687_10150776997926736_681831735_9773783_6305873 88_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/545673_10150776998466736_681831735_9773788_5993771 76_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383566_10150776998341736_681831735_9773787_1250103 384_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/546444_10150776999096736_681831735_9773796_1633687 527_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/543378_10150776998711736_681831735_9773791_1331874 654_n.jpg

Aysha
05-14-2012, 07:28 AM
just a quick recap
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/425124_10150529512036736_681831735_9174261_1671470 037_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/562506_10150776996961736_681831735_9773769_5566312 72_n.jpg

Aysha
05-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Well I made it 8 and a half weeks with NO FISHIES!!!!!
I think I earned myself a clownfish don't you?
I also axed that coral tree skeleton (the one covered in cyano) the cyano was gross making the zoas p'od and the aptasia liked it. so I scrapped it.

Aysha
05-31-2012, 06:57 AM
I moved my tank to our new house with zero issues it now has a prominent place in my kitchen and not in a yucky basement suite.
This is my new friend "Nemo" I wanted to call him Fezzik but my brother in law came over and was like OH LOOK OH OH OH ITS A NEMO HI LITTLE NEMO!!!! OH YOU ARE A CUTE NEMO!!!! FOR THREE FRACKING DAYS. I've never seen a trades person Harley nerd gush like a little girl before.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/182659_10150816755961736_681831735_9893764_1309305 553_n.jpg

While the beast was disassembled I took the time to reshape my rockwork and add an extra "cave"
I also pulled the xenia as 5lbs of rock covered in it gets crazy FAST!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/600985_10150816756131736_681831735_9893766_1851907 267_n.jpg

Aysha
07-01-2012, 12:44 AM
So it's been just over a month with the clownfish!!!
I rehomed the coral banded as he was eating my peppermints. He is doing just fine in Steve's eel tank!
I added a hectors goby,cleaner shrimp and a very small occ. As well as a few more frags!

Glad to be finding some success. Is it normal to want to redo my rock work AGAIN! I want more of this kind of look but I think the livestock would be mad at me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielpurdy/6449882689/sizes/l/in/photostream/
how do you guys stack your rockwork so tall! I don't suppose any of you guys wanna come help LOL.

Also Rustydog gave me this I think it's pretty. I love candycanes.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/599387_10150876646541736_1648780119_n.jpg

Steve has a stunning scoly coral that looks like a nuclear cupcake and I want it soooo bad. But I've spent enough cash at his store this week.
moving up in the tank world! Next tank a red sea max S line! (hey a girl can dream right????)
http://reefbuilders.com/2011/10/12/red-sea-max-s-400-500-650/

mohammadali
07-01-2012, 09:28 AM
how did u put the GSP on the back of ur tank ?

Ginu
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Your tank looks very good, you should be proud of it and in time it will only mature with more grow.

Aysha
07-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks!
I took two small pieces of gsp and did my waterchange.
When the top of the tank was empty I put a drop of superglue on each piece. I put one in a high flow area (it took off) and one in a low flow area. (it survives but hasn't grown.) I'd love to have my whole back wall covered but I don't have enough flow. I'm using the Koralia nano power heads.

Aysha
07-11-2012, 03:32 AM
So I'm now entertaining the idea of an 80 gallon tank...hahhaa (matter of time)
now to find a contractor out here to see if my floor can deal with 1000lbs of fish tank.

It wouldn't be set up for another 6 months or so as there is too much going on and I love my biocube but I think it's time to start hunting for glass. I'm looking at either the 80gallon fluval osaka or the 60 gallon solana. If I have to go new it will be the solana otherwise I don't buy that stuff retail EVER.
a couple bucks a gallon is all I like to pay for a non specialty fish tank.

Ginu
07-11-2012, 09:01 AM
Well, I just finished hauling in a 75g tank which I picked up on canreef for my upgrade from 34g tank. The 34 is actually a really nice size, however the 75 is kinda the sweet spot for me.

Now I'm curious if my floor can handle that much water...
Does anyone know how to determine how much weight the floor can handle?

So I'm now entertaining the idea of an 80 gallon tank...hahhaa (matter of time)
now to find a contractor out here to see if my floor can deal with 1000lbs of fish tank.

It wouldn't be set up for another 6 months or so as there is too much going on and I love my biocube but I think it's time to start hunting for glass. I'm looking at either the 80gallon fluval osaka or the 60 gallon solana. If I have to go new it will be the solana otherwise I don't buy that stuff retail EVER.
a couple bucks a gallon is all I like to pay for a non specialty fish tank.

Aysha
07-15-2012, 04:23 AM
the heat wave nuked most if not all of the coral in my tank yesterday
looks like I lost 80 percent coral 2 snails and my new cleaner shrimp.

If it's as rough as it seems I take the tank down. If some of the coral comes back (the leathers are ALL toast) I'll keep it running.

my tank spiked to 90 degrees over a 12 hour time frame. I ran a fan over the top and ice in the sump to try and bring it back but the damage looks like it's been done. I'm not sure if I should start over if I can afford the investment again. Plus the upgrades,or If I should flip a coin and part the tank out.

magikof7
07-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Im sorry Aysha.

Don't make your decision too quickly. Give it some time, you just had a major disaster and it can feel like too much. You may regret it later if you throw in the towel right away.

Ginu
07-20-2012, 05:06 PM
HI Aysha, I was setting up my new Reefkeeper lite controller and I could not help but think of how it might possibly save your tank from many disasters including the one above.

I strongly suggest to invest into one of these (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=da-rk1) as I have a feeling a system like this would have most likely saved your tank unless the temp in the house is 90+ degrees.

For example I have mine setup to do the following:

- 3pm turns on ecoxotic stunner led strips
- 5pm it turns on the MH light
- when the temperature reaches 80 it turns on chiller and pump (both on the same socket; this uses a splitter from dollar store) - it stops it when it hits 76
- if the temp reaches 83 the controller turns on a fan to blow above the surface and move the warm air out (i dont like to use this due to unwanted extra water evaporation) - this is set to turn off if the temp reaches 77
- if the temp reaches 86 I have it setup to turn off the MH/led blue light and run chiller/pump/fan - system turns the lights back on once the temp reaches 77 and turns off chiller fan at 76
- 1am turns of the MH light
- 2 am turns off the ecoxotic stunner strips

I haven't been able to test all the programing above as the temperatures haven't skyrocketed, but so far its working as intended.

In case of power failure for a short period of time, the unit will not turn your MH lights back on for 15 minutes to allow proper cool-down of the bulb and ballast.

The above are all achieved with the lite version and no extra add-on modules or controllable power bars

I believe many stores sell the lite version for 119.99 and after trying it, I have to say it is an absolute must; anyone not running something comparable is taking huge gambles with their fish-tanks and reefs...

Currently under the 34g cube I used to have a digital controllable power bar (which I'm still fighting to understand and properly set) and two mechanical timers (each timer takes up two lots in my power bar) along with a temperature monitor... needless to say I've spent about 80-90$ with tax included and they dont come near what the ReefKeeper does for me right now.

The best part is the fact that it can be upgraded for many other applications down the road if needed and it already can do many other functions which I haven't looked into quite just yet.

Aysha
07-29-2012, 06:41 PM
I've looked into those ginu, I think I will invest in one soon.

So I made the grown up decision and put my biocube up for sale ...
BECAUSE I GOT A NEW TANK:mrgreen:

60 gallon starfire cube with 30gallon sump currently running metal halide but will swap out for LED's .
it's got an internal overflow which is kind of obnoxious but I'll cope.

I looked at what a chiller and new lights for the bio would cost and decided I'd rather have a bigger tank . Bios don't gain any resale value when you jam 300.00 in lights in them!

I figured most of the corals were nuked and I'd have to go big or go home.
~Aysha

Ginu
07-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Grats on the 60g. I just got a 75g as well and have to drain to level the thing...

I would recommend to try LEDs before purchasing a chiller as you might not necessarily need a chiller with LEDs.

Currently I'm looking at the radions and I will get one pretty soon but man they not cheap by any means... I'm wondering if they will drop the prices since more companies are coming out with more affordable competitive LEDs

And please get an aquarium controller... You or anyone owning an aquarium will not regret investing in one. Best purchase hands down.

Aysha
07-29-2012, 09:40 PM
I'll be going shopping in the next few months. I have to wait for the new aquarium to cycle before I do anything.
lol too bloody exciting.

I doubt I'll need a chiller right away I'd rather spend the money on a fancy skimmer or something.

the aquarium controllers are on my list for sure now that I have a bigger aquarium.

Nano
07-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Yup u highly doubt youll need a chiller with leds also, I turned my heater down 5 degrees for summer, and its maintained about 77.8 avg.

Aysha
07-29-2012, 10:01 PM
stupid question, but can I move the stock from my old tank over to my new one without issues or will I have to cycle the new one from scratch?