PDA

View Full Version : Single Bacterial Strains From Vodka Dosing?

rastaangel
02-14-2012, 11:16 PM
I have noticed that there is some weird things going on in my tank for the past month or so which I am assuming is a single strain of bacteria growing and taking over from my vodka dosing.
Most of my LR, dead corals parts, power heads, and almost everything else thats not glass has a fuzzy growth on it, which looks kinda like moldy bread fuzz. If I scrub it with a tooth brush it comes off easy but theres way to much of it and it just comes back after a few days. It is collecting alot of detris and other garbage which is making it very hard to keep my rock work clean.
Anyone else experienced this or know of a fix?

Reef Pilot
02-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Try using MB7. It adds beneficial bacteria to your tank to aid with carbon dosing, whether bio pellets or vodka.

TimT
02-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Besides adding different bacteria I would also add some white sugar and white vinegar into the vodka. Then cut back the dosage a little.

ScubaSteve
02-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Ya, I'll echo the others. Cut down on your dose to start with. I use MB7 + VSV (vodka, sugar, and vinegar a la Glassbox (http://glassbox-design.com/2008/achieved-through-observation-and-experimentation/). I get a similar bacterial colony as you describe in my pipes. Every once in a while I'll scrub it out but it's not detrimental.

Myka
02-15-2012, 02:26 AM
You're just dosing too much. That's the classic sign to cut back a bit. Using multiple carbon sources never hurts.

ashr
02-15-2012, 03:55 AM
Can you show us some pictures?

rastaangel
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
I have been dosing for almost a year now and been at the same dose for over 6 months and this only recently came up so I dont think its from over dosing. I am currently dosing 5ml/daily
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/rastaangel/IMG00201-20120215-1244.jpg

spawn
02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
You could also use biomate from zeo for that stuff, even if not on full zeo. I had it & it worked for me as I dose vodka & zeobak, & used the BM when that stuff showed up. Also IME Red legged hermits love to eat that ****. I just noticed in your pic that there is a red legged guy in there, put some more in. JMO

Myka
02-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Corey, as time goes on you should have to use less and less vodka. You're over-dosing. Trying a product made for reefs might be a better idea. The Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter7 (MB7) is quite reasonably priced. I just started using it in my reef along with their BioFuel to see what happens. :lol:

Looks like you could use a bit more flow in your tank too...or adjust the powerheads.

rastaangel
02-16-2012, 12:31 AM
I thought once I found my proper dose to keep 0 nitrates and phophates thats what I stayed at?
LOL Im at over 70% turn around on my tank... Ill gladly takea pair of MP40s from you mindy if you think I need more:mrgreen:

Myka
02-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Do you mean 70 times turnover? Or 70% of the volume turnover? I have 60x turnover in my tank, and I would have a lot more if it wasn't for the LPS that don't like it. Meh, Vortech Shmortech...I like my Tunzes, and I actually don't mind the new Koralias either...they are tiny.

Just creep your dose down a bit lower. You should be able to find a balance between maintaining 0 nitrate and having no fuzz. Essentially, you should be able to quit dosing vodka at some point, but if you overfeed or have poor maintenance habits then you will will have to continue dosing to keep nitrate at 0. Imo any type of carbon dosing should not need to be maintained forever. I see it more as a fix than a maintenance.

rastaangel
02-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Its actually 79.2% LOL... 4 1400gph koralias, 2 425 koralias, 330gph HOB filter and 350gph from return.... Which I think is more then enough flow

If I have time before we leave for mexico tomorrow ill stop at bayside and see if they have MB7 then when I get back im gonna try VSV mix and see if that helps then if it does nothing reduces to 4ml

Myka
02-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Bayside has MB7.

The return flow is not considered in flow, and the HOB filter wouldn't really do much for flow. I have one of those 425 gph Koralias in my 10 gallon nano and it is barely good enough for that size tank. The flow doesn't go very far. I think you'd be best off considering just the 4x1400 gph powerheads as contributing to overall flow which is 5600 gph and your tank is what...100 gallons or something? That is 56 times turnover which should be ok if you have them pointed well. Try moving their direction a bit so there is more flow reaching the rocks. Turnover is not expressed in percent.

What skimmer you got on there?

rastaangel
02-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Its a 90g. Ive found if I point my powerheads at the rocks something will start to lose tissue from getting a direct blast. The 425s are back in behind the rocks to stop things from settling where I cant get to it. Im running a reef ocopus XP2000 Cone skimmer

Myka
02-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah, it's a fine balance between blasting the rocks and not blasting the tissue off. :lol: