PDA

View Full Version : Reef tank with bamboo sharks?

spit.fire
02-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Has anyone ever tried doing a reef tank with bamboo sharks? I've been thinking of doing Lps and softies in my shark tank

tang daddy
02-15-2012, 06:55 AM
I don't think it's impossible but as you know these sharks like to dig so all corals should be off the sand bed and mounted. Also make sure your rock is safely sturdy because if they are placed on sand you could end up with a rock slide for the banded digging....

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Your tank should be reaquascaped to give any shark the most room possible to swim. They get a fair size though so even a 300g will look and feel small to any shark, including a bamboo.

Here's a Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV9vElu4ltE

paddyob
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Shark is probably enough work on it's own.

I think if you did both, one would suffer, and most likely the shark.

LPS have sharp skeletons and could also pose issues to the soft underside of the shark.

I would avoid the shark, personally.

Good luck.

Nate
02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
I have a 500 with 3 epaulette sharks, and a whack of other fish, they get along fine. Corals are mostly softies as they knock things all over the place.

As far as sharp skeletons and the underside of sharks, Epaulettes are designed for sneaking through small crevices, and are super adaptable. I have about 35 fish in there as well, mostly tangs and rabbitfish, but also have 3 hawkfish, maroon clowns, some dotty backs, basslets, small pompano, and eight to ten squirrelfish. The epaulettes dont go after the fish at all.

Bamboo sharks get big and are quite boring in my opinion so I would skip that one if I were you.

Nate