PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9011 Skimmer questions

Coralgurl
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I have a Tunze 9011 skimmer which I used in my 55 gl tank. It didn't skim a lot and only really had to be cleaned monthly. Even then, the cup would only fill maybe 1/3. I attributed this to the canister filter having a lot of stuff in it, I clean it every 2 weeks. Over the past while, the 55 has been algae free with no issues. Actually, since I pulled the skimmer out, I am only cleaning the glass every few days, tank is doing really well.

I have now moved the skimmer to the sump of the 180, been there since last Thursday and its doing nothing. I gave it a good cleaning and we made the changes required to have it in the sump per Tunze's instructions. I've adjusted the flow and while it bubbles in the housing, there's nothing else going on. The tank is cycling, ammonia is at 2 ppm (as of yesterday), should I be getting anything through the skimmer at this point? I've read alot on the Tunze skimmers, some people love them, others have issues. Its rated to 200 gl, I figured it should be good to start the 180 with at least.

Thanks for any suggestions.