PDA

View Full Version : Adding sand

evaneatspie555
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
My tank I already up and running and has almost an inch of sand what would be the best way of making it a deep sand bed without totally restarting ?

Starry
02-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Are you wanting dry sand, or live sand? When I added live sand to my system, I used a piece of 3" pvc pipe, poured in the LS down the pipe kept cloudiness to a minimum, and let me put the sand where I wanted it to go. My only concern would be burying whatever creatures are in your sand bed. I would think if you did it gradually over several days it would be ok.

evaneatspie555
02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
I was thinking live sand and that sounds like a good idea. Now if I have algea on my sand will that create a problem if it gets burried

Borderjumper
02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I would do it a little at a time. Push a little bit of your existing sand up into a pile and add some new sand to the bare spot, then push the old sand back over top.

It's not a good thing to disturb a deep sand bed as it lets all the badness escape, but since your only an inch of sand I don't see a problem.

evaneatspie555
02-16-2012, 06:25 AM
I will be moving in a couple months and will be moving this tank with me could I do it then when the tank is prett. Much empty or will it be toostressful no fish btw just corals shrimp and starfish and cuc??

smokinreefer
02-16-2012, 07:09 AM
just add the new sand as described above.
add in layers, to give the existing organisms a chance to inhabit and move up through the new sand.

i've done it in the past the same way.

marie
02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
If your going to be moving, I would wait until you have moved and then put the new sand in first in the empty tank and spread the old sand over top

I will be moving in a couple months and will be moving this tank with me could I do it then when the tank is prett. Much empty or will it be toostressful no fish btw just corals shrimp and starfish and cuc??