PDA

View Full Version : Anemone / Captive clown question

ReefRookie
02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi there! I've recently purchased what I was told was a "white long tip anemone" however while I was trying to find out why my clown won't take to it I read that there's no such thing- that it may be bleached. I'm wondering if this is the correct type of anemone or if I was sold an anemone under the incorrect name. As well I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks to get my clown to come the the anemone. I have moved it to his hangout and he doesn't seem to want to get too close. He flutters about like he has an idea but has yet to touch it. I know this is a problem with captive bred clowns- but hopefully there's some suggestions out there to make him come to!
Thanks in advance! http://instagr.am/p/G_2mFZGIaV/

toxic111
02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
The picture isn't showing up so I can't comment on the anemone. But clowns may or may not 'host'. Mine took over a year before they started on my RBTA. Though they still can't make up thier mind which one they want to hang out at.

I have heard that putting a picture on your tank of a clown in an anemone can help, I never tried it, so I can't comment if it works or not.

ReefRookie
02-14-2012, 07:20 PM
http://instagr.am/p/G_2mFZGIaV/

Try this link! It's to the photo I tried to post

jakejake
02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
i have 4 clowns that take turns in my elegance,like several hours in and then out for the next crew,funny to watch

noirsphynx
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Sebae anemone maybe?
Clowns won't always host an anemone. Give them time. As for tricks I'm not sure, maybe try a mirror mounted on the outside of the aquarium where the nem is:noidea:

lee9
02-14-2012, 11:32 PM
I used the picture of a clownfish in an anemone taped to the side of the tank trick. It seemed to work for me... or it could have just been a coincidence.

I added a green bubble tip anemone for my two captive bred Ocellaris clownfish. Two weeks or so had passed and I hadn’t seen them host in it yet. I printed a colour picture of the same type of clownfish in the same GBTA and taped it on the side of the tank. About three days later I saw them starting to host in it. It was a little bit at first and then eventually they were in it all the time. I added a rose bubble tip anemone a while after that and they almost immediately started hosting in it as well. I have since moved everything to a larger tank and my GBTA split so they go back forth between all three now.

I have also read that the species of clownfish and the species of anemones have to be compatible. Only certain species clownfish will host in certain species of anemones. If you Google this topic there is quite a bit of information on the clownfish/anemones that you can try to pair up.

Doesn’t hurt to try it. Like I said though I’m not sure if it actually worked or it was just a coincidence. Good Luck.

fishytime
02-14-2012, 11:32 PM
what kind of clown is it?.....there are only two species known to host in seabaes(what you have)....tomato and clarki.....heres a link to a chart http://clownfish.webreefs.com/clownfish_anemones.php .....some clowns will host in corals which is really not an ideal relationship......sometimes its works out, other times the clown can end up with stings from the coral and yet other times the clown can "love" the coral to death(depends on what coral the choose to admire)..... the best thing for them really is a nem (of the right flavor of course).....

daniella3d
02-15-2012, 01:49 AM
Excuse me...but I have a sebae and my occelaris took only 3 days to go in it and after a few days she would not leave it and was sleeping in it.

He has a long tentacles anemone. I had 2 clownfish previously and got a long tentacles and they never tried to host it, even after 3 months. I sold these 2 occelaris and the long tentacles and got 2 tank raised black ice occelaris and a sebae and they hosted it very fast.

Here is a video of my black ice in the sebae anemone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZR2XnqxWw&feature=player_detailpage

what kind of clown is it?.....there are only two species known to host in seabaes(what you have)....tomato and clarki.....heres a link to a chart http://clownfish.webreefs.com/clownfish_anemones.php .....some clowns will host in corals which is really not an ideal relationship......sometimes its works out, other times the clown can end up with stings from the coral and yet other times the clown can "love" the coral to death(depends on what coral the choose to admire)..... the best thing for them really is a nem (of the right flavor of course).....

fishytime
02-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Excuse me...but I have a sebae and my occelaris took only 3 days to go in it and after a few days she would not leave it and was sleeping in it.

He has a long tentacles anemone. I had 2 clownfish previously and got a long tentacles and they never tried to host it, even after 3 months. I sold these 2 occelaris and the long tentacles and got 2 tank raised black ice occelaris and a sebae and they hosted it very fast.

Ive noticed over the last year or two that your tank seems to have some kind of planet alignment over it that allows it to go against all of the general rules.....so your post doesnt surprise me.......I shall correct myself for your benefit........99.9 % of the time the only clownfish to host in sebae anenomes are clarkis and tomatoes the other .1 % are Daniella's fish ...... I would bank on going with the other 99.9 %, as suggested by this chart.... http://clownfish.webreefs.com/clownfish_anemones.php ...... and this one http://www.fishlore.com/clownfishanemonechart.htm ...... and this one http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Clown_anemone/Clown_anemone.htm..... I could provide more but....

Llewos
02-15-2012, 02:53 AM
What kind of clownfish? A "white long tip" sounds more like a condylactis (Condylactis gigantea). Those anemones usually are a white, grey, brownish color with a purple or pinkish tip. Anyway, every ocellaris I have had, have not touched them. Doesn't mean they wont though. As for tank raised clownfish, it doesn't matter. If they like it(anemone or coral) they will go in. Give it some time, if it doesnt host, I would try a bubble tip anemone........and not sure where you bought it, but try a trusted specialty store. Also, ocellaris's and perc's will host corals like Elegance, torch, frogspawn, hammer, etc.

SkunkClown
02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
We have a pair of skunk clowns and a pair of tomato clowns in a 200g tank. The skunks host the sebae anemone and the tomatoes like bubble tips. The bubble tip anemone is only an inch across that we got for free and it's quite comical seeing the fish try to squeeze himself in there. I don't link this is good for the anemone though and we are looking for a larger one to spare the little one from the fishes rough love.

I'll try to take a picture of the skunks in the sebae for proof haha. It doesn't seem to be only Clarkis and tomatoes so there are exceptions. Actually the tomatoes wouldn't go near the sebae. There are always exceptions!

paddyob
02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
This trick worked for me in two days!

Use a life sized pic. Same clowns. Similar/same nem. Dumb. Clowns. :wink:

Ken at BW told me to try. It was awesome.

I used the picture of a clownfish in an anemone taped to the side of the tank trick. It seemed to work for me... or it could have just been a coincidence.

I added a green bubble tip anemone for my two captive bred Ocellaris clownfish. Two weeks or so had passed and I hadn’t seen them host in it yet. I printed a colour picture of the same type of clownfish in the same GBTA and taped it on the side of the tank. About three days later I saw them starting to host in it. It was a little bit at first and then eventually they were in it all the time. I added a rose bubble tip anemone a while after that and they almost immediately started hosting in it as well. I have since moved everything to a larger tank and my GBTA split so they go back forth between all three now.

I have also read that the species of clownfish and the species of anemones have to be compatible. Only certain species clownfish will host in certain species of anemones. If you Google this topic there is quite a bit of information on the clownfish/anemones that you can try to pair up.

Doesn’t hurt to try it. Like I said though I’m not sure if it actually worked or it was just a coincidence. Good Luck.

ALang
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
I had a purple tipped condy anemone, and two false perc clowns that hosted it in a week after the nem was introduced.
So that goes against all rules, as well. I didn't know that condies don't usually get hosted by clowns until I was informed recently:lol:
Bubble tips are usually more friendly to host and are pretty much an " all-purpose" nem unless it is very small.
Give your fish time. They will eventually find it, but then I knew a friend's clowns never liked any of their nems, either....

daniella3d
02-16-2012, 04:49 PM
nope, it just goes to prove that nothing is already set. Each fish is different and what apply to one setup might not apply to others.

If my black ice host a sebae, I guess other occellaris can do it as well. I think it is more a matter of what's available and the temperament of each fish.

You are describing a situation in the wild and natural host of these fish. What apply in the wild might not apply in captivity.

I am sure my occellaris are not the only ones hosting a sebae...plenty of occurance on youtube if you take a look.

Your chats don't even agree on the same thing...one put the bubble tip as a host for occelaris and the other don't...go figure :) there are plenty of occurance of bubble tip hosting occellaris.

Ive noticed over the last year or two that your tank seems to have some kind of planet alignment over it that allows it to go against all of the general rules.....so your post doesnt surprise me.......I shall correct myself for your benefit........99.9 % of the time the only clownfish to host in sebae anenomes are clarkis and tomatoes the other .1 % are Daniella's fish ...... I would bank on going with the other 99.9 %, as suggested by this chart.... http://clownfish.webreefs.com/clownfish_anemones.php ...... and this one http://www.fishlore.com/clownfishanemonechart.htm ...... and this one http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Clown_anemone/Clown_anemone.htm..... I could provide more but....

Flash
02-16-2012, 06:24 PM

you always have such a delightful tone when you write on these forums... try some respect for people.

not all clowns will host. I have had 4 different sets. 1 hosted my torch, another my open brain and two other refuse to host in anything. you can't force a fish to do something, it's either going to do it or not... so "excuse me" for my response to your opinion.

as for the original post, give the clowns time. I just added a new amazing milk anenome and they are curious, but won't fully go in it... it's a waiting game!!

- FLASH

Coralgurl
02-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I've had 2 sets of clowns that have looked for hosts. My first 2 (black and white with the orange fins...sorry for not knowing their names), started trying to host my bubble coral. Bought a seabae nem and they were in it within 10 mins - I unfortunately lost the clowns and nem. My current clowns are seabae clowns and they are hosting my frogspawn along with my porcelain crab. Recently, I've noticed them wiggling in my brain coral. Once they move to the bigger tank, I will try another anenome for them. One thing I've noticed with these clowns is how territorial they are over the frogspawn and tend to only hang out by it. The original clown we had (jumped), didn't host anything and was quite active in the tank.

daniella3d
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
why don't you try it yourself?

try some respect for people.

Reefie
02-20-2012, 08:47 AM
I've had 3 different pairs of clowns, first pair were True Percs, second pair were False Percs, and third pair are Black & White Ocellaris. NONE of them hosted a single BTA.

I even tried a Haddoni Carpet, which died on me, it was kind of gaping when I bought it. Don't ask me why I still bought it even though I had thought it was gaping a bit. My LFS handled it very well and refunded me the $150 right away.

So......moral of the story is that NOT all clowns will host. IF they do, it could be anywhere from minutes to days to weeks to years.