PDA

View Full Version : calling all fish catchers

Mike-fish
02-13-2012, 10:35 PM
HELP
we have 2 clowns stuck inside the overflow box on my 175g. anybody have a clue as to how to get them out. there's not enough room for a net in there and be able to maneuver it. we don't want to pull the bulkheads out. any bright ideas out there. anyone in the Edmonton area that thinks they can get them out please step forward!!!!!!!

sphelps
02-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Put your net in your sump under the overflow exit, then pull out the standpipe. I love getting fish out of overflows, there's nothing easier.

kien
02-13-2012, 10:37 PM
HELP
we have 2 clowns stuck inside the overflow box on my 175g. anybody have a clue as to how to get them out. there's not enough room for a net in there and be able to maneuver it. we don't want to pull the bulkheads out. any bright ideas out there. anyone in the Edmonton area that thinks they can get them out please step forward!!!!!!!

There is no room in the overflow box to reach your hand into it and just grab the fish with your hands?

hillegom
02-13-2012, 10:38 PM
You can try fishing with a small barbless hook.
Its been done before

jagermaier
02-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Use a 1 inch hose and syphon them out.

jagermaier
02-13-2012, 10:43 PM
you mnight have to go 2 inch hose

sandman
02-13-2012, 11:11 PM
u can try cutting the top off a clear plastic bottle turn the lid around and push it into the bottle so theres a big opening to swim in and a small one to get out .then put some shrip or something inside they will go in but cant get out easy.you will have to use a bottle small enough to fit inside your over flow .this works in the open tank no guarantee in the overflow good luck

reefwars
02-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Put your net in your sump under the overflow exit, then pull out the standpipe. I love getting fish out of overflows, there's nothing easier.

thats what i do too works like a charm everytime, my little chromis ends up in there alot and i have a 1 1/2" drain so i just pull it and flush him down the drain into my net on the other end:):)

reefme
02-14-2012, 12:11 AM
I have a chromis in my overflow for atleast 3 weeks now. Wait till I move my tank and I get him/her out.

reefgirl189
02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
You could try to fish them out with a net for like 2 hours OR you could do what I did, and have the job done in <3 minutes.

Plug your drains to your sump and let the tank level raise to over the overflow box. The clowns will swim out overtop of the grating on the overflow with minor harrasment ("coaxing") from your net.

Obviously if the level gets too high you will unplug the drain.

ETA: If you have dual drains to your sump, just plug one. This will give you better control of the level in the aquarium.

Mike-fish
02-14-2012, 05:17 AM
got them flushed them up to the surface by redirecting one of the return pumps up to the surface then flipping them across to the display. egg-crate is now in place to keep them out.

thanks guys