PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Longhorn Cowfish?

Gripenfelter
02-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Thinking about adding one to my tank.

I was told they DO NOT release poison into the tank when threatened and many people have no issue with them dying in the tank.

Apparently USUALLY will not touch coral except for small tube worms/feather dusters.

Opinions?

The Grizz
02-13-2012, 05:01 PM
I have been informed that they are a low flow type of fish because of there tiny fins and big body so I dont now how that would work for you.

BUT I could be wrong, it would not be the first time :biggrin:

Gripenfelter
02-13-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't have crazy flow in my tank and it is 7 ft long so it should be fine.

Leah
02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Many years ago I had one. Died in the tank and no problem... other then he did not live long. :cry: Pretty sure Laurie has one. Love them as well. :biggrin:

mat20040
02-13-2012, 11:32 PM
I have a cowfish and boxfish for the last past three yrs
they dont touch the corals and one of a fish with the most character
dont worry about the toxin
I had no issues in past
the grow fast
mine is in a 250 gallon currently

fishytime
02-13-2012, 11:45 PM
try and avoid the teeny tiny ones.....they dont seen to do near as well as larger specimens....they seem to be easily stressed, so try to avoid super aggressive tankmates...Laurie does have one that she got fairly small....Im sure she will chime in later....

RedCoralEdmonton
02-14-2012, 12:23 AM
when looking for a Cowfish that wont eat corals look for the Lactoria Cornuta, that species is known to be better with coral! Good luck!

Steve

fishoholic
02-14-2012, 01:14 AM
I have one, one of my favorites by far. If he got stressed out enough he absolutely could release a toxin into the tank and kill everything including the live rock. Just because it rarely happens doesn't mean it wont or can't.

I got lucky with a small one that I had (before the one I've got now) that died and thankfully didn't release any toxin. From what I understand they only release it under extreme stress, sometimes in the bag of water during shipping, during transfers, being bullied by other fish or exposure to air. Basically make sure the lfs bag's it under the water and doesn't expose it to air and when transferring it to your tank totally dilute the lfs store water with your own and use a plastic container to scoop it out with (so it's in water) to avoid air exposure and release of toxin.

From what I understand they wont eat coral but sometimes will eat snails or shrimp.

Very funny fish to watch worth the risk IMO. They do need low flow because they have a hard time swimming around, and peaceful non nippy tank mates.
You also have to watch how your rock work is laid out. They have been know to get stuck in the rock (wedge themselves into a spot they thought they could fit but couldn't) and die from being unable to free themselves.

Some good info
http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=1463

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/puffers/cowfish.php

Gripenfelter
02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys. I'll think about it.

badfish!
02-14-2012, 03:51 PM
I had a cowfish that when it was in the process of dieing, he got his horns caught in the powerhead in my tank, I think that stressed him even more and I'm sure he released toxin, but I ran carbon and did a few large water changes (not to mention I removed him to another container in the sump) and everything else survived, all the other tank mates didnt look good, but all pulled through. A couple of years ago when I had my first salt water tank I had a helmet cowfish and when doing a water change with the gravel syphon, I nicked him (they are so curious, they need to be right where you are doing something so they can see). I guess the nick was enough to stress him out, and I didnt know any better and within a couple of days everything in the tank was dead.