PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Nano 9002 Skimmer - No bubbles

Leon71
02-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Has anyone purchased a Nano 9002 skimmer lately? I bought mine on Boxing Day. I had it running on my QT tank for the last three weeks. I do not get any bubbles at all from it. At first I thought it was just breaking in. Took it apart and checked to make sure the air line was not kinked or plugged. If I blow in the air tube, I do get bubbles. I think it is the venturi. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have a spare venturi in Edmonton, until I can get a new one? Thanks for the help. Leon

hillegom
02-13-2012, 01:35 AM
I don't have one of these, but there should be warranty on this

Nano
02-13-2012, 01:40 AM
I got mine used it works great, maybe yours is defective?

Leon71
02-13-2012, 02:47 AM
Yes it is still under warranty, but they want me to ship it back (at my cost), and then hopefully get a replacement. In the meantime, my QT tank with two fish in it will be without a skimmer. I am trying to get them just to send out a replacement venturi asap. Thanks, Leon

Nano
02-13-2012, 02:57 AM
i dont think you should have to pay the shipping for something that they sent you if its not working properly. but thats my opinion.

jorjef
02-13-2012, 03:05 AM
I know this may seem dumb but I'm going to ask. Is the hose connected to the top plate of the skimmer?

Leon71
02-13-2012, 03:51 AM
I know this may seem dumb but I'm going to ask. Is the hose connected to the top plate of the skimmer?

Not dumb at all. But I can't even get it to pull air in a bucket. Just the pump, venturi, and air line. That's how i was able to blow in the line and actually get it to bubble. Process of elimination. It will actually backflow water up the airline.

toytech
02-13-2012, 04:15 AM
I have the same skimmer (got mine used ) and it has never had problems making bubbles . I have seen some post on bunk venturies on nano reef and the customer service rep sent the people new ventruris no questions asked .Your fish will be ok without a skimmer for a while my 50 gal has no skimmer and it does fine.

shrimpchips
02-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Disassemble the venturi. There's a small elbow that feeds air into the venturi - this can get calcified and not allow air through. If you had the water level too high and it sucked a lot of water into the venturi, this happens and clogs the air intake. You might be able to force a small amount of air through, but the force of the venturi isn't enough to suck air through.

I've had this happen on my old 9002 a bunch of times. Here's what the part looks like, and what the calcification can look like:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll255/ashikatani/Reef%20tank/P3024447.jpg

Soak it in vinegar for an hour and it should be good as new.

EDIT: I just reread the post about backflow - do you have the venturi assembled backwards?

Leon71
02-13-2012, 01:48 PM
EDIT: I just reread the post about backflow - do you have the venturi assembled backwards?
Not sure how it could be assembled backwards. This thing is pretty straight forward. Hopefully Jeff will get back to me today with a solution.

Bblinks
02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Any issues Jeff will take of you, don't sweat it.