PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 7096 with Windows7?

Delphinus
02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
I bought this 7096 unit second hand about a month ago from a Canreefer.

Thought I'd try it out .. No go. I have a 64-bit laptop running Win7.

Anyone else have one and was able to get it to work? I've been googling for info and getting into deep end stuff like updating UART drivers and the like, which I've tried but hasn't given me any joy yet so far.

sphelps
02-12-2012, 11:49 PM
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=23711

Delphinus
02-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Been there done that didn't do a thing. :(

Thanks though.

It looks like it could have corrupted firmware. It's my lucky day, just bought a WD Live TV for streaming unit that .. doesn't actually stream media files, spent the better part of the last 4 hours chasing my tail on that one, and I figured, oh well, take a break, get the new Tunze controller going, that will be a pleasant change of pace!

Haha, fail. Grumble, grumble, grumble. The software is written soooooo badly too. "ACHTUNG! DU BIST EINE DISCONNECTEN MITT DER SCHPROCKET! JA / NEIN" Nice internationalization.. When the Tunzes work fine they work fine but if you need to update drivers and run in compatibility mode and etc. just to get a few extra controlling options, then I understand why Vortech's are so popular.

Bryan
02-13-2012, 06:06 AM
I have a 7096 sitting in my drawer, used it fine with my Win 7 64 bit, but since upgraded to a Apex so no longer need it.. What issues are you having?. Any error messages?

Bryan
02-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Saw your post on RC. You are hooped with this error. You will need to send it in to Tunze to have the firmware reflashed. Had the same issue with mine when I first got it. I don't think the programmer put enough catches in his code if something should go wrong during the flashing procedure.

Following advice in older threads in this forum, I attempted to flash it in the avrootloader. I get this following error:
"Installed software version is higher as the update"

Delphinus
02-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah I was googling like crazy and did come across a post or two where Roger said "the only way to fix that is by sending it in."

I tried another laptop last night, I still have one using Vista and .. well it was even worse. After verifying the drivers were up to date (it's 64-bit as well) .. I couldn't even get to the loader step because it installed itself onto COM9 and Tunze's software is hardwired to use only COM1, 2, or 3. I'll have to do some very low level digging to get past that. (Or use a virtual PC in XP mode maybe.) It's only 2012 :neutral: The odds that most average users don't have the com ports used up (Bluetooth, USB, etc.) past 3 is not very good. That it even occurs to me to try using a virtual PC to get past these initial hurdles is ... well .. I have no words how bad that is. This productization level of this software is brutal. Major fail on Tunze's part. The lack of internationalization, the lack of integration into the Windows start menu, the location it installs itself "C:\tunze" instead of "Program Files" .. USB connectivity only .. etc. A high school student learning to program would have done a better job with this. Sorry Tunze but this is a #fail.

Thanks for your help nonetheless Bryan!

lastlight
02-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Lol without even knowing the specifics of the rest...

C:\tunze

seriously?!

VFX
02-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Mine runs from Win7 almost all fine.

I can't set a speed at or between 1% & 29%, just at 0% or from 30% upwards

I can't get settings from the unit. Only able to send settings, which is the more important bit I guess.

Apart from that, all A-OK.

I haven't tried running it from my Mac so don't know if it works any better (I think the guy you bought it off ran it from a Mac if I remember correctly).

Bryan
02-14-2012, 06:06 AM
You can't go below 30% on a Tunze or there is a risk of the pump being damaged.