PDA

View Full Version : Sebae anemone shrinking with light?

daniella3d
02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I have a nice sebae anemone (quite small still) that is expending a lot at night and as soon as my T5HO come on it shrink. Does it have too much light? It is in quarantine with my clownfish for about 10 days now and scheduled to be transfered into my 75 gallons with 250 watt 14 Phoenix in about 2 more weeks. It is in my 20 gallons nano standard tank that is well cycled with liverock and water parameters are perfect, salinity 1.025, calcium 420, alkalinity 7.5, ph 8.3, ammonia, nitritres and nitrates 0.

I have 4 x 24 watt T5HO, 2 aquablue special, 1 fiji purple and 1 actinic. In the morning before the light turn on it is quite large.

one of my small clownfish is being hosted by the anemone, and I feed it each day a little bit of food and it seem to eat.

Here is video of the anemone. It is light brown in the body with tentacles going pink to white:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6aZR2XnqxWw

Also is the clownfish hosting detrimental to the anemone at this point?

FitoPharmer
02-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Depending on its natural healthy color, which varies quite a bit in sebae's , I would say your specimen is bleached still. So it may just be protecting itself from over exposure to the light. Some healthy sebaes I have seen are so brown with pigment you can hardly tell the tips are purple.

daniella3d
02-12-2012, 05:56 PM
it may be bleached a little from the transport, but the base is brown. Diffirult to see in the video, so it is not totally bleached.

So should I reduce the light then? let it acclimate to it slowly?

Also if there are only brown ones, why the heck is liveaquaria.com selling whites??? I thought this was a goor store?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+633&pcatid=633

"Heteractis crispa is usually light tan to brown in color, and may have purple tips on its tentacles."

Depending on its natural healthy color, which varies quite a bit in sebae's , I would say your specimen is bleached still. So it may just be protecting itself from over exposure to the light. Some healthy sebaes I have seen are so brown with pigment you can hardly tell the tips are purple.

FitoPharmer
02-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Transport is the number one bleacher in my books. It is not entirely bleached either, the base is quite brown. However some tentacles to me seem almost transparent, with little to no pigment left.

You can try to reduce the lights. If you see the stress reduced right away and stay away, it was likely the culprit.

They do vary in color quite a bit. It looked a little bleached from the video because the base is brown, and the tentacles seem to range in color from almost transparent to slightly brown. That to me is a sign that the natural color is light brown or tan, possibly darker. The white ones with the purple pigment are the hardest to come by and the most sought after. Most only have purple tips and are tan to brown, so I agree with live aquaria's assessment.

The may have purple tips part is because some get so brown there is often only a tiny dot of purple noticeable at the tip of the tentacles, but when this same coral is bleached it looks like the rare specimen.

daniella3d
02-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Some tantacles are very opaque creamy white, some are a bit more transparent. The base is rather brown, but a lighter shade of brown but very opaque.

It is now very very shriveled with the 4 tube on. I will try reducing the lighting hours and see.

Transport is the number one bleacher in my books. It is not entirely bleached either, the base is quite brown. However some tentacles to me seem almost transparent, with little to no pigment left.

You can try to reduce the lights. If you see the stress reduced right away and stay away, it was likely the culprit.

They do vary in color quite a bit. It looked a little bleached from the video because the base is brown, and the tentacles seem to range in color from almost transparent to slightly brown. That to me is a sign that the natural color is light brown or tan, possibly darker. The white ones with the purple pigment are the hardest to come by and the most sought after. Most only have purple tips and are tan to brown, so I agree with live aquaria's assessment.

The may have purple tips part is because some get so brown there is often only a tiny dot of purple noticeable at the tip of the tentacles, but when this same coral is bleached it looks like the rare specimen.