PDA

View Full Version : salts: IO or KENT?

fresh
02-28-2004, 09:55 PM
I am about to buy a new bucket of salt, and wanted to know which one you guys consider better?

I have read that most people use IO because it is cheaper, but since J&L is selling them both for the same price, I thought I should ask.

which one of the two does better in buffering PH?

thanks all

fresh

p.s. I use IO right now.

Aquattro
02-28-2004, 11:17 PM
If you use IO now, I would recommend staying with it. They are both very close in composition and mix to the same pH. Although some people like Kent due to slightly higher Ca levels, if you have any consumers of Ca in the tank, the extra is used up right away anyway.
Changing salt goes against maintaining stability, and isn't going to do anything good.

BCOrchidGuy
02-29-2004, 03:47 AM
What he said. Kent IO it's all the same thing, and the differences will be used up in no time. PLUS Kent has been sold and the salt will soon be made my oceanic rather than IO so the Kent salt will be changing.

Doug

Skimmerking
03-28-2004, 04:42 PM
hey i reallt like the tropic marine
i thought the salt was great in my 75 gal i have tried

IO
RED sea
and TOPIC Marine

like them all but will stay with Trop marine

mike

anderson
06-26-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm using the tropic marine as well and I really like it....
Mind you I just started my tank and I dont have anything but a little algae
:lol:
I have heard alot of great things about the tropic marine though, mind you I find it's hard to track down...
Also more expensive...

IluvHockey
06-26-2004, 01:15 AM
I use Crystal Sea. Didn't Dr. Ron on RC give it a thumbs up when compared to IO or Kent. Anyways I would agree that changing salt would be bad as stability is what counts. There was a bad batch of IO produced last year that may have affected some tanks.

Jack
06-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Do a search on people who changed from thier regular salts to Crystal Sea. You might find that it doesn't get many thumbs up.

I've used Instant Ocean from the beginning without any problems and I think I'll stick with this brand for a long time.

Beverly
06-26-2004, 02:44 AM
I switch back and forth between IO and Kent. I don't think it makes that much difference either way, I mean, it's not like you're going to be doing 50% or greater water changes as a rule. A 15% water change with a different salt isn't going to make a great impact on a system.