PDA

View Full Version : live rock

christyf5
10-03-2001, 11:14 PM
Hey guys. Another question for ya.
How long does it take to cure live rock?? Can you cure it in the tank or should it be done in a rubbermaid bucket or something like that. I was just wondering about the setup process in my new tank and thinking that maybe I would get some cooler stuff if I cured the rock on my own. Last time around I got locally cured live rock but I've noticed on some of the BBs that people are eraving about cool hitchhikers and sponges and stuff on their rock. Can I cure it in the tank with a DSB or should I leave the bottom bare (ie. cure the rock first and then setup the tank to cycle). Anyone have any ideas on the process??
Thanks
Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DJ88
10-03-2001, 11:32 PM
Hey Christy,

How much are you putting in? waht size tank and how much is already in it?

I have added uncured pieces into an existing tank and not had much trouble.. You start adding large amounts and things get interesting.. I will say that adding uncured lets you keep some neat stuff.. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif At least I have had some neat stuff stay.. Till a tang or crab got to the cool algae images/smiles/icon_sad.gif or anything else.. lol Darned cowfish.. lol

christyf5
10-04-2001, 09:26 AM
Its going into a 48Gallon tank that will be new. I haven't set it up yet, it still has african cichlids in it. I was thinking about putting in probably about 25 pounds or so since I already have about 25 pounds in my 29G tank that I can transfer over later when I do the switch.
Where did you get your live rock from??

Christy

reefburnaby
10-04-2001, 11:00 AM
Hello,

Uncured LR can be purchase from most reef stores if you ask them. Unfortunately, you missed the LR sale that J&L had in August. I have heard that Seacare's LR is really high quality (see posting in early September).

Given the current airlines situation, quality LR will be in short supply.

- Victor.

titus
10-04-2001, 06:38 PM
Hello christyf5,

I'd cure raw live rock in a new tank. During the curing process, you have to make sure you are running a good skimmer with tons of water flow within the tank. You wouldn't really need any lighting as it might cause algae bloom. Besides, it's not likely there will be anything that requires heavy lighting anyway.
For established system, usually you can add raw live rock in. This is possible as long as it's a small amount.

Titus

FlameAngel
10-04-2001, 07:04 PM
How much life is retained when adding uncured LR to an established tank?

80%?

christyf5
10-04-2001, 11:05 PM
So if I cure the rock in the tank, should I add the DSB later on and then start cycling??

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif