PDA

View Full Version : Mag chloride ??

spawn
02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
So I went to mix up a gallon of mag today & the mag chloride portion of the mixture has seemingly gained moisture & turned all clumpy in the storage container. I don't get it? The sulphate is fine, so are my ca & alk containers. It's never been any where close to moisture. It is stored in a cool dry dark place @ about 18.5 degrees. I know its not good to use Ca or Alk supps if this happens, but is it ok to use this stuff?

hillegom
02-10-2012, 09:30 PM
I am not an expert, but I think that the MgCl will completely dissolve when you put it into water. But its going to be hard to measure it accurately.
The lid of your container must not be on tight, or the gasket is compromised.
Most salts, if left open to the air, absorb moisture

Chin_Lee
02-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes it is still safe to use. Its no different if you were to add water to them now or if they had absorbed the water from the air before.
Many of these chemicals (Calcium and magnesium mixes) are desicants to a degree in that they will absorb any moisture in the air. Just makes it hard to weigh/measure them.
I just recently found out that Dri-Air (the stuff you put into RV's and marine boats to take the moisture out of the air during storage) is just Calcium Chloride.

eli@fijireefrock.com
02-10-2012, 09:44 PM
If you product is near moisture high area or letf open for even a small period of time it will pick moister like a sponge.
The best way to do the calculation for any recipe is if you originally know how much weight you had prior to moister or original weight and how many batches you had done out of that specific container and where did you get the chemical as this will change your recipe.I have no problem fiding out for you as to how to use simply not to nuke your tank.let me know.

whatcaneyedo
02-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Yup that is how my Magnesium Chloride is too. Its so bad that I have to use a chisel and mallet to get any of it out of the pail.

hillegom
02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Mine is dry as a bone, still flows even after a year now.
Tightly fitting lids is the cure. ie, when the salts are new.
From my high school chem, I remember the name hygroscopic
That was a looooong time ago

FragIt Dan
02-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Yes it is still safe to use. Its no different if you were to add water to them now or if they had absorbed the water from the air before.
Many of these chemicals (Calcium and magnesium mixes) are desicants to a degree in that they will absorb any moisture in the air. Just makes it hard to weigh/measure them.
I just recently found out that Dri-Air (the stuff you put into RV's and marine boats to take the moisture out of the air during storage) is just Calcium Chloride.

+1

I had the same happen to me, poorly fitting lid, and used the rest up with no problem. I just measured the wet stuff by volume, rather than weight. You could also jus dissolve it in water to full saturation and I think you will end up with ~100, 000 ppm (?), others might be able to confirm this. Most of the mg supplements out there are around that level, and when I make mine up I find saturation is at about 110, 000 ppm with anhydrous mg cl/su mix.