PDA

View Full Version : New nano advice

beginnersluckpg
02-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Well I've been thinking about setting up a nano for quite some time and have been given the official go ahead from the boss. I have a 95 gallon reef tank set up already and wanted something in the other living area as well. Looking for advice, possibly used equipment.

Any suggestions on tanks etc, kinda like the look of the skims unit, anyone every try one?

Nano
02-10-2012, 05:57 PM
my first SW was an 8 gallon fluval flora, modded for salt water, it is 12x12x14 cube, with internal filter and 13w CFL that grew my zoo's and mushrooms for about 2 months before I upgraded to a 15g. I really like this unit its a nice little nano sized tank, as are a lot of fluvals. Ehiem has a new line of nano tanks as well with led lighting which are very sharp. it all depends on the style of tank you are looking into

beginnersluckpg
02-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I appreciate it.....

Reefie
02-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I've got the Skimz IBOX8 for my daughter. It's a neat little tank!

I've upgraded it with the Ecoxotic Pico LED lights, which make it bright enough to grow SPS. I also replaced the skimmer with a more eye-pleasing unit, I had the BioCube Nano Skimmer and squeezed it in. This makes it more streamline rather than having the original skimmer. I've also replaced the pump with a Maxi-Jet 400 for better flow.

My only beef about the Skimz is that it doesn't come with a cover, but other than that, it's a great little tank.

The Eheim tanks are nice also, they come in 4 Gal, 6 Gal, and 9 Gal configurations.

ScubaSteve
02-10-2012, 07:01 PM
The biocubes are one of the best bang for your buck nanos. If you want something showy and your are handy I'd suggest building your own. It's easy!

beginnersluckpg
02-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Actually starting to think about building one but no final decisions yet......still looking