PDA

View Full Version : fragging tips

lockrookie
02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
need help this thing is growing like a weed and i must cut it back a bit any helpful tips fraging would be great

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/lockrookie/101_6592.jpg

Gripenfelter
02-10-2012, 04:22 PM
What is it growing on? Rock?

What does the bottom look like?

lockrookie
02-10-2012, 04:30 PM
it is on a big chunk of live rock unlessi destroy the rock but id rather not

Gripenfelter
02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I doubt you would be able to frag it without breaking the rock. You can't scrape zoas off without damaging them. You should try not to frag the zoas out of water either because they release toxins if they dry out.

whatcaneyedo
02-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Some zoanthids grow into clusters when their colonies become large and can easily be pulled out several at a time. But if yours don't then you can still cut them off down near their bases with a sharp object. This won't really downsize the colony but it may stunt its growth in the areas that you cut. You can also place small pieces of rubble or frag disks in and around the colony and passively wait for the polyps to slowly grow onto them. Tweezing them off sort of works too but you'll do a lot of damage and in most cases you'll probably just rip the polyp in half before it pulls off of its base. Another option is to just start over again. Frag off a few polyps to keep and then sell the entire colony plus the rock that it is on and replace it with a new rock.

sphelps
02-10-2012, 06:08 PM
You could try at the base edges where the zoas meet the sand, if the rock is that populated and spreading around you can usually rip off small clusters pretty easily from the edges as they attempt to spread out.

Other than that, break the rock up into a bunch of frags and replace the rock or just break a piece or two off depending on how many frags you want.

jorjef
02-10-2012, 08:02 PM
If the small hole left centre is all that's left to fill in from the last time it's growing very fast and I would agree with whatcaneyedo and just place round frag discs around the perimeter and let them grow onto them. Should take no time at the rate it's growing.

lockrookie
02-10-2012, 09:39 PM
If the small hole left centre is all that's left to fill in from the last time it's growing very fast and I would agree with whatcaneyedo and just place round frag discs around the perimeter and let them grow onto them. Should take no time at the rate it's growing.

lol yeah that small hole is just the frag plug i put to replace the last one it was a 2 by 3" hole lol what 2 months ago and it is almost covered insane how well this is growing i think im going to have to take closer look this weekendandmake agame plan or the whole tank will be covered in a year lol.

thanks to all who have input i will try a few of your ideas and see what will work