PDA

View Full Version : Corals inflate to escape being buried alive in sand

ashr
02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Corals inflate to escape being buried alive in sand (http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/16843053)

Very cool, thought I would share!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

whatcaneyedo
02-09-2012, 04:29 PM
"... but it was not clear how"? lol It looks like the scientific community needs to do some catching up if they want to be on the same level as us hobbyists. I'm not laughing at you ashr, its the article thats a little bit behind.

kien
02-09-2012, 04:33 PM
whenever I clean my tank bottom I always shift my plate and brain corals around a bit. By the next morning they've moved back to their originally spot by inflating over night and drifting back into their favourite spot. It's cool to watch.

ashr
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I thought the video was more interesting then anything else lol. I watched it with out sound as Im at work.

Just thought it was cool, so I posted it :)

My plate coral does the same thing lol

kien
02-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Just thought it was cool, so I posted it :)

it was cool to watch, thanks for posting it :biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
02-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Yeah the time lapse was cool. I just thought that the way the article made this sound like a new discovery was absurd.

Lampshade
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I had a blasto fall behind a rock that i couldn't get for awhile. Pretty much wrote it off as dead, but every time i looked, it was on top of the sand even after being buried by my goby's. I've saved it now, it hates light, but at least it's mounted :P