PDA

View Full Version : blue spotted ray

lockrookie
02-09-2012, 04:42 AM
with freshwater i almost bought a ray but ran away from the idea quickly. and will most likely do the same in this senario. but i was curious if anyone had experiance with these i have read both sides of the fence and will not be rushing out for a supplier by any means. i know m 180 just wont be enough room for such a great creature. i just think they are very cool. if anyone has had one please post pics and your story.

TimT
02-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi Jeff,

I had a pet Blue Spot for a while. It would eat krill out of my hand. Was very cool.

They need enough sand to bury themselves. Mine used to just have it's eyes sticking out of the sand.

They are very susceptible to scraps and scratches on the bottom side of the disk. These are easily infected and can kill the ray. So no small rocks or shells in the sand bed.

My recommendation would be a tank 6' long and 2' wide with 2" of fine sand. Not aragonite but actual sand, about .25mm to .5mm grain size.

Cheers,
Tim

lockrookie
02-09-2012, 07:15 AM
ive read that but its still surreal when i was a kid at seaworld i had more fun playing in the ray tank than the dolphin tanks such gracefully creatures

TimT
02-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Ha ha, I remember that tank. Went there with the family and the rays were sticking their noses out of the water. My daughter told us after the whale show to remind her when she was 14 that she wanted to be a whale trainer. Now that shes 14 she is looking into it.