PDA

View Full Version : Input Needed...110G SW Livestock

CountryBoy72
02-09-2012, 03:22 AM
ORA Red Mandarin(once the tank is well established, eats frozen shrimp/bloodworms. Hopinghttp://www.3reef.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley.gif)
2-4 Cardinal fish
Starry Blenny
B/W Percula Clownfish
True Percula Clownfish
Long Nose Hawkfish
Kole Tang

Researching an looking for a nice variety.
How many fish can be put into a 110G tank(w/ 35G Sump ) 48Lx18Dx30H ?

SpateD
02-12-2012, 07:34 PM
I have the same size display, but probably 50G of water in my sump. I currently have 9 and I can't keep corals because I think I have too low of nutrients... I haven't had my skimmer on in over 2 weeks.. I think you can add more to yours.

I'm looking for my 3rd wrasse, some anthias and a couple clowns.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
I have the same size display, but probably 50G of water in my sump. I currently have 9 and I can't keep corals because I think I have too low of nutrients... I haven't had my skimmer on in over 2 weeks.. I think you can add more to yours.

I'm looking for my 3rd wrasse, some anthias and a couple clowns.

Ummm, low nutrients is what you want if you're planning on keeping corals. A low fish bioload is actually a better way to have a proper reef tank than if you have a high fish bioload like I usually do.

fishytime
02-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Ive read you tank journal thread and noticed that you started with a large percentage of dry rock.....I would say that you need to be very careful with your bio-load while that dead rock seeds and becomes live.....may take anywhere from a couple monthes to a year before you can be sure that your dead rock is able to sustain a higher bio-load.....be patient

SpateD
02-12-2012, 08:56 PM
@ SeaHorse_Fanatic - You're correct, ULNS are desired by a lot of people and doing WC's has one main purpose, to lower nutrient levels. But thats the only thing keeping my SPS from living. I've been double dosing amino acids to try bringing my nutrient levels up so that my corals don't starve.

If you have any other explanations as to why my SPS slowly over 1-3 months turns white, has 0 polyp extension during the day, and massive extension at night.. It's not melting flesh, it's going white from tip to base, Alk levels are 7-8, so it's not burning them.. By all means throw out some ideas. I have tested for stray voltage, I'm using 250W 14k pheonix bulbs.

0 phosphates, 0 nitrates. My light cycle is around 12 hours for T5 Actinics and 10 hours for the Halides, and I have to clean my glass about once per week, and the algae I do develope on my glass is colorless and more like a hairy film that just makes it hard to see through.

You tell me whats wrong... But I have ULTRA ULTRA low nutrients.

@Fishytime - My tank has been running with this dry rock for almost a year now. and before that, the rock I used was in a tank cycled for over a year before I upgraded.

CountryBoy72
02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
fishytime, I added 44 lbs of LR to my system now. Just waiting out the cycle now. Another fish I would like to add to my list is a fairy wrasse.

Nano
02-14-2012, 06:09 PM
fishytime, I added 44 lbs of LR to my system now. Just waiting out the cycle now. Another fish I would like to add to my list is a fairy wrasse.

what he is saying is the dry rock cant be counted as biofiltration ATM as its not live yet, so where you may think you have adequate amount, you may be short in that area until the dry rock becomes live

Bblinks
02-14-2012, 06:52 PM
I would go with a purple or brown tang instead.

CountryBoy72
02-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Anything unique and different that I should look at, for ?

Reefie
02-28-2012, 02:07 AM
If you're looking for a splash of colour, there's always the Blue Hippo Tang.

If you're never planning to have clams, a Hawaiian Flame Angel or a Coral Beauty Angel.

I'd also suggest to go with a Purple Tang!

A Powder Blue Tang is also another choice for a splash of colour.

And then there are the Wrasses.............

You can also get a Bartlett Anthias.

And then the nemesis for a lot of reefers............the Achilles Tang

CountryBoy72
05-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3x Bangaii Cardinalfish
Starry Blenny
ORA Mandarin (hopefully in a year )
Splendid Dottyback
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
Clown Goby, Green
Friend is dismantling her fish tank and has offered me a yellow tang and two azure damsels