PDA

View Full Version : what pipe to use for inwall

Coleus
02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Hi guys,

I am developing my basement soon and was wondering what kind of pipe to use for in wall? My basement contractor does not know what kind and also he is not sure if i will need a special permit for this?

any one can point me to the right answer?

Thanks

The Grizz
02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
What is the purpose for the pipe? Waterlines?

Skimmerking
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi guys,

I am developing my basement soon and was wondering what kind of pipe to use for in wall? My basement contractor does not know what kind and also he is not sure if i will need a special permit for this?

any one can point me to the right answer?

Thanks
white PVC

no_bs
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Spa flex, and no, no permit needed.

Coleus
02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
What is the purpose for the pipe? Waterlines?

For return and drain to the sum which will be move to basement

TimT
02-08-2012, 06:38 PM
I would recommend 2" schedule 40 pipe. I have found that the Spaflex can sometimes have pin hole leaks if it was not handled correctly. Personally I would recommend 1 2" line for return, 1 2" line for drain to sump and another 2" line to be able to run small pipe/tubes/wires into the basement. Wrap the pipe in rubber floor mat and clamp to the wall. I would even recommend wrapping pipe in fiberglas insulation to deaden any noise of water movement. Wall cavities tend to amplify noises!!!

Lampshade
02-08-2012, 06:54 PM
+1 for the insulation, Pipes are noisier than pumps lots of times.

The Grizz
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Sch 80 would be my choice

Lampshade
02-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Also should add, the piping was no prob for me, but the inspector wanted the electrical in a different section of wall. He wasn't 100% since it wasn't actual house plumbing, but said it would be safer. I'm taking the piping out one day when I get time to run up the side of my tank, the pipe makes lots of noise(not lots, but noticeable in the other room) and is restricting flow with all my elbows, so I'm going to run spa flex up the other side of the tank for a more direct approach.

Coleus
02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I would recommend 2" schedule 40 pipe. I have found that the Spaflex can sometimes have pin hole leaks if it was not handled correctly. Personally I would recommend 1 2" line for return, 1 2" line for drain to sump and another 2" line to be able to run small pipe/tubes/wires into the basement. Wrap the pipe in rubber floor mat and clamp to the wall. I would even recommend wrapping pipe in fiberglas insulation to deaden any noise of water movement. Wall cavities tend to amplify noises!!!

thanks for idea of putting extra line for wire :-) did not think of that