PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting

reefme
02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Hi all, I have a 300 watts led light fixture. Is anyone know how to modify to use a dimmer/contoller or some sort to controll this light?

Light specs:
300 watts LED
25 blue leds at 6 watts each
25 white leds at 6 watts each
2 power cords: 1 for blue and 1 for white

mseepman
02-08-2012, 06:14 PM
You have to give us more info on the light. Don't think I've heard of 6w led emitters before. Is there brand or model number? where did you get it?

monocus
02-08-2012, 07:22 PM
most likely 5 watt leds - the extra wattage is for your fans if you have any.unless it's a home built- most fixtures are 1 watt or 3 watt leds,leaning toward the 3 watt

reefme
02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Bought it from Aquatopusa

Gripenfelter
02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Is this what you have?

http://www.aquatopled.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=AT&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=LED&Product_Code=AQ300W2

martinmcnally
02-08-2012, 09:19 PM
That light cannot be dimmed using a controller without modification, thats why the cost is so low.

You would have to open the fixture and determine what kind of drivers are in there. You would need to find out the current output and voltage range (min and max).

You would then need to remove the drivers and replace with a dimmable drivers with the same current and voltage specs, plus some dimming circuitry or controller.

As a rough idea you are looking at at LEAST $200 for drivers that will produce the needed 300W

Unfortunately LED drivers cannot be dimmed using the power cord like some dimmable T5 ballasts can.

reefme
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Is this what you have?

http://www.aquatopled.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=AT&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=LED&Product_Code=AQ300W2

Sorry, I don't know how to post link. Not this one, the other 300watts. It's a white one 16" x 8-1/2".

martinmcnally
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Whats weird about those fixtures from looking at the website is the pictures and the specifications do not correspond. There is at least double the amount of LEDs in the pictures from what is in the specs

I suspect they are saying 6W leds but what they really mean is 2x 3W :lol:

reefme
02-08-2012, 09:40 PM
here is a picture from my iphone

martinmcnally
02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Looks like you have this one:

http://www.aquatopled.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=AT&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=LED&Product_Code=AQ300W0

Same situation as I said above. Unless it has a port for plugging in a controller you cant dim it without replacing the drivers which are inside it.

reefme
02-08-2012, 09:46 PM
That light cannot be dimmed using a controller without modification, thats why the cost is so low.

You would have to open the fixture and determine what kind of drivers are in there. You would need to find out the current output and voltage range (min and max).

You would then need to remove the drivers and replace with a dimmable drivers with the same current and voltage specs, plus some dimming circuitry or controller.

As a rough idea you are looking at at LEAST $200 for drivers that will produce the needed 300W

Unfortunately LED drivers cannot be dimmed using the power cord like some dimmable T5 ballasts can.

I guess i have to open one up. If two of these light fixtures are turn on, it is way too much for a 48" long tank. they burned my bird nest coral. I took one down today and see what happen.

reefme
02-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Looks like you have this one:

http://www.aquatopled.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=AT&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=LED&Product_Code=AQ300W0

Same situation as I said above. Unless it has a port for plugging in a controller you cant dim it without replacing the drivers which are inside it.

Yes, that's the one. I bought two of these last year summer. I don't have a place to hang it until last week.

monocus
02-08-2012, 10:53 PM
a quick way to solve your problem is to raise your lights higher-you didn't say how high your lights are off your water.also check out ebay.i saw dim able drivers at 100 watts for $50

reefme
02-08-2012, 11:13 PM
a quick way to solve your problem is to raise your lights higher-you didn't say how high your lights are off your water.also check out ebay.i saw dim able drivers at 100 watts for $50

Tank its self 22" high and my LED is 9-1/2" above water.