PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tangs are fit for a 75 gallon tank

Casey8
02-08-2012, 05:29 AM
I was hoping to get an already made mesh top to have a flasher wrasse in my tank, but it turned out the mesh top I was waiting for doesn't fit my top tank. My husband is not a handyman, neither am I, so I have to change to another plan. I would like to get a tang instead of a wrasse. The problem is I only have a 75 gallon tank and I am unable to upgrade to any tank that is bigger than what I have, because I live in a very small apartment. I really don't want to put him/her on trade/sell later with a reason like it is getting too big for my tank. I need someone who is currently having a tang that is living happily in a small tank (like mine) for a long time. Please kindly sharing your experience what kind of a tang you have and how long you have had it. No yellow tang for me.

Aquattro
02-08-2012, 05:39 AM
Too bad, yellows are one of my favorites. A kole might work, or a scopas. You don't have a lot of selection if you can't upgrade or don't want to trade later. That's about all I'd put in. you could look for people selling tangs from their system that they've had a long time and appear to have stopped growing. I've seen a few that just seem to stay small. Even then though, the instinct of most tangs is to swim fast and far...

lpsreefer
02-08-2012, 05:48 AM
any bristletooth tangs well be okay. mimic half black i have heard also.

marie
02-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Putting a screen on your tank is easy, go to rona and get a window screen kit and then go to canadian tire and get a roll of plastic chicken wire. The instructions on how to make it are written on the screen kit, just use the plastic wire instead of the screen material that comes with the kit (chicken wire lets better light into your tank)

apexifd
02-08-2012, 06:52 AM
theory is that fish will grow according to the size of the tank. this may not be true, but they may grow a lot slower after they reach the ideal size for the particular tank.

ensquire
02-08-2012, 07:07 AM
check this out, It give you the best recommendations based on your size of tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+43&r=3126&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

naesco
02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
The answer quite honestly is none.
The reason is tangs are swimmers and require the larger longer six foot tanks that provide them with the room to do what they do best, swim. You can observe them constantly swimming to and fro in the larger tanks.

It is never a good idea t buy a tang with the idea that you will upgrade to meet its needs later. Unforeseen things like losing a job, a divorce or separation and a change of housing can doom your tang in a tiny tank despite your best intentions.

Esquire, live aquaria is an online fish seller. Their opinion on size is coloured by the fact that they are in the fish selling business and naturally want to sell as many as they can.

Apex, that may be theory but the rule is a stunted fish is a stressed fish. We as reefers have an obligation to provide the optimum conditions for all critters we remove from the sea.

Thanks for asking, before you buy.

Proteus
02-08-2012, 12:14 PM
+1 on none

A stressed tang will also be a sick tang. I have a 6 foot tank and personally won't keep tangs. I love them but stress helps ich IMO which tangs are prone to. Leading to a tank full of dead fish and a stressed hobbiest

Skimmerking
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Well Im going to jump in here I have a 8 footer and having a sailfin and a orange shoulder tang IMO my tank is too small. I have a kole and 3 yellows, my kole is 4-5 " tops and he/she is 10 years old. however hasnt greown where I have seen koles in the wild and in huge tanks and I was shocked on how long and big they were. Casey a brittletooth, tommi ,Kole, Chevron are all good ones. the yellows i have long the 8 footer too and they use it. My OST loves the longer tank and im looking at going to gift her to the aquarium in Winnipeg where she can have fun.

P.S hows the skimmer doing. if you need help making the screen let me know I can call you and discuss a no brainer on how to make it.

gobytron
02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
+1 on none

A stressed tang will also be a sick tang. I have a 6 foot tank and personally won't keep tangs. I love them but stress helps ich IMO which tangs are prone to. Leading to a tank full of dead fish and a stressed hobbiest

Theyve done studies showing that a Tangs stress level is no different in a 50-75 gallon than it is in a 500 gallon tank.

the Tang police have it wrong.

Aquattro
02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Theyve done studies showing that a Tangs stress level is no different in a 50-75 gallon than it is in a 500 gallon tank.

the Tang police have it wrong.

Or that the 500g is also too small. Not that catching a fish and taking cortisol samples could influence the results :)
Ideally, there is no such thing as a tang suitable for a 75g tank. However, people are determined, so there are a few that have been suggested that would do ok. I've had some of these in a 75g, and they did not appear to require therapy.

Skimmerking
02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Or that the 500g is also too small. Not that catching a fish and taking cortisol samples could influence the results :)
Ideally, there is no such thing as a tang suitable for a 75g tank. However, people are determined, so there are a few that have been suggested that would do ok. I've had some of these in a 75g, and they did not appear to require therapy.
My fish are all retarded so it doesn't matter but I think I require therapy. :biggrin: so had to say it .

Reefer Rob
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure why some people single out Tangs for their aquarium suitability. When it comes down to it no fish is really suitable for an aquarium. I doubt they can tell the difference between a 50 and a 500 gallon when they're use to an ocean.

Aquattro
02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure why some people single out Tangs for their aquarium suitability. When it comes down to it no fish is really suitable for an aquarium. I doubt they can tell the difference between a 50 and a 500 gallon when they're use to an ocean.

Agreed. I'm sure an adult angel is just as happy in a 75g as a tang. I think tangs get more focus since most of the species cover a lot of ground. Although, I did read once that a pair of angels will claim over a square kilometer as a breeding territory. So ya, a tank just doesn't cut it.

I've had various tangs in a 75g, and honestly, they were no more stressed in there than in my current 180.

lastlight
02-08-2012, 04:04 PM
The 6 foot argument is pretty weak if you give this much thought. All shades of the same colour and all of our tanks are too small. naesco your old bull nose 6 footer was one of the smallest 6 footers you can buy. Personally I'd aim for a tank with the length and turn around width of a standard 180 as a feel good minimum for anything besides your kole and similar tangs. In the end it's us feeling a bit better about keeping things we really shouldn't. My tank is over stocked as far as tangs go too with just two! I find it a bit amusing that the tang police front man on canreef had as many tangs as he did in a tank that was what... 135 gallons? My kole in my 97 was likely more comfy than the acanthurus species in your old tank.

Proteus
02-08-2012, 04:25 PM

I agree. My flame wrasse travelled the glass for a week. But now more than comfy. I wunder if the lack of predetors and a constant food sorce helps them climatize to tank life

Casey8
02-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Yellow tang was one of my favorites for over 10 years too, but this time I want to get something different. Anyway, one of my canreef friends offered to help me to make a mesh top for my tank :mrgreen: so I am going back to my original plan to get a flasher wrasse. No more tangs for me at this time.
Thanks for all your input and chiming in to help me. You guys/gals are wonderful whenever I need your help.

Skimmerking
02-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Hamy you should get a Mcorskers, clown, pair of leopards i love wrasses once i down grade i will have more wrasses.

Casey8
02-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Yes, that is the McCorsker wrass I am going to get, it is so beautiful but also a good jumper too.

paddyob
02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
This thread is bound to lead to a public flogging for even posting it.

If it does not, something is wrong as I have been chastised more than once.

I have a yellow in my 70 and it's happy happy.

Keep the tang smaller, and once it's size is edging on outgrowing the tank , you can rehome it or maybe trade for a smaller.

Most people are ok advising kole tangs, but most think none.

Be smart on the specimen you choose. I am sure, without reading all the posts, you will find a variety that you can keep, if anything, for a couple years.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

lockrookie
02-08-2012, 05:38 PM
we put ppl in 4x 8 cells lol no one batts an eye. these rules ideas and thoughts are great it does help ppl think before they act but it depends on the caregiver as well first off your not going to try and put a shark in a small tank just wont happen. nor should anyone put a regal in a 40g tank you know its going to outgrow it... im guilty of putting my regal in my 90. although i did plan to upgrade. and since my wife loves this fish it was a great incentive:)

as i say i do appreciate the concern for these fish. if you feel the space is inadequate then it most likely is. and just planning to upgrade isnt an excuse unless you have the means to do so. i made a mistake and put a yellow in my 50 to help with algea and he did a great job. the plan was to move him to the 180 when built but. the space was just to small even though he was a juv and regretfully he didnt make it. its not like we can take our fish fr a walk to stretch thier fins lol. all that said a 75 is ok maybe for awhile but id aim for 120 ish for a yellow personally.follow your own concience

just how i feel and i never claim to be right forever learning...usualy from mistakes

paddyob
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Well said. I agree 100%.

Casey8
02-08-2012, 05:57 PM

Keep the tang smaller, and once it's size is edging on outgrowing the tank , you can rehome it or maybe trade for a smaller.

Be smart on the specimen you choose. I am sure, without reading all the posts, you will find a variety that you can keep, if anything, for a couple years.

I am more concerned about the fishes health and happiness if they are cramped into a small space like my tank in the long term. I have decided to go back to my original plan to get a wrasse, I can see my tank is not suited for any of the tangs because they are fast and far (as aquattro said)... and grow too big. I am attached to my fish very much, I know I can't sell him/her later on.

Gripenfelter
02-08-2012, 06:03 PM
I have a 314 gallon 7 foot tank with the following fish:

Powder Brown
Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Blue Throat Trigger
Black Clowns
False Perc Clowns
Domino Damsels
3 stripe Damsel
Azure Damsels
Sand Sifting Goby
Coral Beauty
Lamarck Angel
Foxface

I used to have a Lavender Tang and Niger Trigger.

The only tangs that use up the entire swimming area in my tank are the Powder Brown and Lavender Tang. The Black clowns do laps of the entire tank.

The Hippo Tang really stays put in one spot. The others drift here and there but don't really use a lot of swimming area.

The Foxface and Trigger do a lot of vertical laps from the sandbed to the surface.

If I still had my smaller 4 foot tank my yellow tang and hippo would have been fine in it.

lockrookie
02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
I am more concerned about the fishes health and happiness if they are cramped into a small space like my tank in the long term. I have decided to go back to my original plan to get a wrasse, I can see my tank is not suited for any of the tangs because they are fast and far (as aquattro said)... and grow too big. I am attached to my fish very much, I know I can't sell him/her later on.

well said :) im attached to allmy fish as well...no wait not my clowns thier EVIL..

naesco
02-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Yellow tang was one of my favorites for over 10 years too, but this time I want to get something different. Anyway, one of my canreef friends offered to help me to make a mesh top for my tank :mrgreen: so I am going back to my original plan to get a flasher wrasse. No more tangs for me at this time.
Thanks for all your input and chiming in to help me. You guys/gals are wonderful whenever I need your help.

Great decision Casey. When you get a tank large enough to accommodate a tang you will really enjoy them. Happy reefing.

naesco
02-08-2012, 09:41 PM

The reason is that most experienced reefers strive for the optimum conditions for the critters they keep. The Tangs are singled out because the requirement for larger tanks is a know fact.

Those of us who keep tangs in smaller tanks and upgraded to larger tanks saw obvious differences in tang activity. They spend the day zooming back and forth instead of kinda just hanging around.

paddyob
02-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Edit.

Never mind. No point in actually commenting as it only comes back negative.

Casey8
02-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone :mrgreen:

Reefie
02-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Gee, this reminds me of the Tang Police knocking on my door when I posted in the 2012 FTS thread. Haha!

I know of someone else that has a Blonde Naso in a BC29. :wink:

Casey8
02-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Gee, this reminds me of the Tang Police knocking on my door when I posted in the 2012 FTS thread. Haha!

I used to have a saltwater fish tank with some fake decorations back in 1993. I cramped all 20 fishes from 3" to 12" angelfish and another 3 big tangs into a 220 gallon tank. I couldn't believe how can they survive with me for so many years though, but I would never do like that again. I think most of the beginners are getting too many fish without doing some research first. Some of the biggest fish I had in that big tank had died just after one year I had them, maybe from lack of space.

apexifd
02-08-2012, 11:58 PM

I have personally seen someone who has easily over 15 12" + angel/tangs in a 210. and I think there was couple large puffer in there as we..

fishytime
02-09-2012, 12:01 AM
I have personally saw someone who has easily over 15 foot long angel/tangs in a 210. and I think there was couple large puffer in there as we..

thats disturbing:neutral:

Casey8
02-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Holy ... what a stupid !

P.S. : Like me !!!

reefwars
02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
thats disturbing:neutral:

the bio load would give me a head ache lol

paddyob
02-09-2012, 12:22 AM
I have personally seen someone who has easily over 15 foot long angel/tangs in a 210. and I think there was couple large puffer in there as we..

15' long tangs?

Maybe it was a Shang? Lol.

apexifd
02-09-2012, 12:32 AM
15' long tangs?

Maybe it was a Shang? Lol.

I knew that's coming

Reefie
02-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Peter,

You haven't updated your SIG with your recent addition of the Achilles yet. :wink:

Also, I thought you would've seen the Blonde Naso in the BioCube when you picked up your 210? :twised: