PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Think Ecotech Glue Sucks?

MarkoD
02-08-2012, 02:25 AM
I bought a bottle of this stuff for like 22 dollars or something.

i had read good things about it. everything i read said that it was the best glue to use for gluing frags underwater. and it would set and cure under water in minutes.

well i used the entire bottle on about 15 frags about 2 weeks ago. ( i used generous amounts of glue on each frag)

over the course of 2 weeks all 15 frags that were glued to my live rock have fallen off.

anyone out there have better luck with this stuff?

cuz
02-08-2012, 02:32 AM
I'm on my third x-large bottle. I love it, maybe your not holding your tongue right while glueing?

MarkoD
02-08-2012, 02:38 AM
I'm on my third x-large bottle. I love it, maybe your not holding your tongue right while glueing?

everywhere says to hold the frag down for 10 seconds and it should be good. i've held them for over a min. and they still fall off

lastlight
02-08-2012, 02:50 AM
I've never had luck using only glue unless i'm working outside the tank. Always use glue-epoxy-glue and the ecotech is hands down my favorite glue to use.

Borderjumper
02-08-2012, 02:53 AM
^^ same here.. glue on its own wont bond underwater.. roll a ball of epoxy.. dimple each end and fill with glue.. success

lastlight
02-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Plus the stuff is cheaper than a radion and quieter than a vortech...

Borderjumper
02-08-2012, 03:22 AM

:fish:

fishytime
02-08-2012, 03:22 AM

:lol:.....although three bottles is starting to get close to a MP10:mrgreen:.....and holy crap Larry, three bottles?...... your sposed to be mounting frags with it....not sniffing it:mrgreen:

cuz
02-08-2012, 03:24 AM
everywhere says to hold the frag down for 10 seconds and it should be good. i've held them for over a min. and they still fall off

What works for me is applying a fair bit outside the tank, placing in the water so the glue gets a skin on the outside. Then I make sure I break that skin on the rock I intend the frag to be on ensuring glue is now on the frag as well as the rock.

phi delt reefer
02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
It is pretty ****. I scrub the rock a bit with a tooth brush then use the epoxy method

paddyob
02-08-2012, 06:47 PM
I like it.

You need to develop a technique to make it really do well.

I gob it on and let it skin over then plung the piece into it.

Same underwater. But power heads need to be off. I have had good results.

paddyob
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Also. Keep in mind for the cost... It's twice the size as other comparables for very little more.

cale262
02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
It is pretty ****. I scrub the rock a bit with a tooth brush then use the epoxy method

It's worked vantastic for me, I use the same method above and it bonds extremely well...almost too well when I change my mind about the placement 30mins later :redface:

MarkoD
02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
I put glue on the coral. Dip it and let the glue haze. Then put it on the rock and hold it. It stays, but over the course of 2 weeks they have come loose and fallen off