PDA

View Full Version : Adding dry rock?

MarkoD
02-06-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking about adding some dry rock to my display.

I've done small amounts before and they always turn brown and then green and then purple.

I was just wondering, if I do it in larger amounts, should I let the rock first seed in a bucket with some liverock, or can I just add it to my tank without I'll effects?

Reef Pilot
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I am just doing that right now. I bought 50 lbs of dry Marco rock and am curing it in a tank with about 10 lbs of live rock taken from my display tank. I kept checking for ammonia and nitrites, but never did get any. The water I used already was high in nitrates, so not sure if I would have seen nitrates if I had used new salt water.

I have had it curing for about a week now, and plan to start adding a few pieces back into my display tank over the next week, and see what it does.

I will say the Marco rock is very clean, and did not see any detritus come loose in the curing tank.

fishytime
02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
you should be able to add as much as you like....marco is deader than dead can be..all organic matter is long gone......the only thing that should come off it is dust.....just remember not to count it as part of your "live" rock for possibly up to a year......

MarkoD
02-07-2012, 02:02 AM
you should be able to add as much as you like....marco is deader than dead can be..all organic matter is long gone......the only thing that should come off it is dust.....just remember not to count it as part of your "live" rock for possibly up to a year......

what do you mean a year?

i havent had my 180 gallon up for a year yet and it started off with 50 pounds of live rock and 150 pounds of dry rock

after about 2 months the dry rock was completely purple....

why would it take a year?

fishytime
02-07-2012, 02:19 AM
just cause it grew algae on it, doesnt mean its live......if you've used marco, then you know how dense it is..its basically fossilized live rock...it has lots of holes, but is not porous....I would really bout that even after a year in a tank, that it would be as good filtration wise as " live rock".....

MarkoD
02-07-2012, 02:21 AM
just cause it grew algae on it, doesnt mean its live......if you've used marco, then you know how dense it is..its basically fossilized live rock...it has lots of holes, but is not porous....I would really bout that even after a year in a tank, that it would be as good filtration wise as " live rock".....

originally i didnt use marco rock.... i used base rock.... looks just like live rock, but it was dry

then i guess my tank has been surviving with all perimeters at 0 for almost a year with 50 pounds of "live" rock

i was told it would seed in less than a month originally

fishytime
02-07-2012, 02:49 AM
we are seeing a lot of people that have used a large percentage of dry rock coming into the shop with issues......nutrient/algae issues, high nitrates, loosing fish etc.....after we talk things through with them we find out that they have, lets say, a 100g tank with 80lbs of dry and 20lbs of live..... they have 8 fish in six monthes and cant figure out whats causing their issues......the tank simply cant cope with the bio-load....Im glad that what you did worked for you, but I try and caution people that choose to use dry rock to be extra patient

MarkoD
02-07-2012, 03:00 AM
we are seeing a lot of people that have used a large percentage of dry rock coming into the shop with issues......nutrient/algae issues, high nitrates, loosing fish etc.....after we talk things through with them we find out that they have, lets say, a 100g tank with 80lbs of dry and 20lbs of live..... they have 8 fish in six monthes and cant figure out whats causing their issues......the tank simply cant cope with the bio-load....Im glad that what you did worked for you, but I try and caution people that choose to use dry rock to be extra patient

hmm thats good to know. im just glad i didnt experience problems like that. i did have cyano for about a month but that was due to overfeeding by autofeeders for a month

lpsreefer
02-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Macro rock does take a while to get the proper bacteria to seed to it.
But if you want it to go quicker.
Best stuff I have read about and well use in my next set up.
https://drtimsaquatics.3dcartstores.com/One-Only-Live-Nitrifying-Bacteria_c_20.html
Dr. Tim was a guess speaker at the Seamax last year.