PDA

View Full Version : calcium levels "fixed, thank you"

martym
02-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Why can I not maintain 400-450ppm levels??? I drip calcium hydroxide( I don't know how old it is it was given to me) everytime i top up. I just finished 2 gallons mixed with 3tps kalk dripped for 20hrs and my Ca is 220ppm. :confused: DKh is 10, Ph around 8.1-8.2 ( I can't wait to get a pinpoint I can't stand matching colors) I only have 4-5 small hard corals, but I do have a lot of pink and green coraline algae forming. Should I add turbo calcium to get the levels back up? About a month ago I was around 380-400ppm Ca, but I just can't maintain it. It might be time for a calcium reactor, but I would never be able to convience my better half of that.
Thanks for the help

Aquattro
02-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Check magnesium levels. Low Mg will force Ca to be low. I haven't had that particular problem, so I can't go into detail, but Steve is familiar and I'm sure he can pipe in here.

martym
02-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks Brad, I do water changes every 2 weeks ( 10g) using IO. should that not keep the mag. up? I don't test for it, quess I should. Field trip to J&L's woo hoo!! :biggrin: BTW it is 75g tank.

StirCrazy
02-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks Brad, I do water changes every 2 weeks ( 10g) using IO. should that not keep the mag. up? I don't test for it, quess I should. Field trip to J&L's woo hoo!! :biggrin: BTW it is 75g tank.

nope it won't. see if anyone has a Mg kit you can do one test with beofr you buy one.. if you level is low then buy one.

if it is low what you will have to do is return it to about 1300 ppm over a few days (depending how much you have to move it) then use turbo Ca to raise your Ca to 400. after that as long as your Mg stays good you shoulden't have much problem.

Steve

martym
02-27-2004, 11:51 PM
Anyone in Surrey have one that I could test a bit of water with?

pocilipora
02-28-2004, 12:09 AM
Couldnt you just add a small amount of Epsom Salts, and if the calcium level rises then your low in Magnesium?

martym
02-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Thanks to a PM I received, :biggrin: here is a cheaper way to test for Magnesium using hagen's test kits

Use the present Hardness test kit in the following procedure to obtain a measurement of the magnesium level in salt water.

1. Do a modified Hardness test for Saltwater

Saltwater 5 %

Measure 5 ml of saltwater from the aquarium in question and dilute with 95 ml of demineralized, distilled or reverse osmosis treated water.

Pour 5 ml of this 5 % solution into the test tube provided with the Hagen Hardness Test Kit (Art. # A-7830).

Use the GH test kit directions, however in the calculation replace the factor of 20 with a factor of 400. This provides the amount for A in the calculation below.

2.Analyse for calcium

Use a sample of standard saltwater from the aquarium (not a diluted one)

Follow the directions according to the leaflet. The result of the test should be multiplied by 2.5 to provide the proper amount for B in the calculation below.

3.Use the calculation included on the back of the Calcium booklet to determine the actual magnesium concentration.

A - B = Magnesium mg/L

A - General Hardness measurement

B - Calcium result times 2.5 (calcium result X 2.5)

Normal magnesium levels of saltwater should be between 1300 and 1400 mg/L.

BCOrchidGuy
02-28-2004, 04:28 AM
Okay if I read that right your magnesium level is 4mg/l?

Interesting way of testing but, the GH test kit measures calcium and magnesium together as well as other dissolved salts, so I'm not clear how this method would measure them seperately.

Doug

StirCrazy
02-28-2004, 06:12 AM
um, isn't that way of testing assuming you have balanced minerals? I think you would be better off with a specific Mg test kit.

even if you have to buy one if you add it to your test routine you can see if it has stabilized or not.

Steve

martym
02-28-2004, 12:08 PM
The instructions ask for GH not DH. Whisch is why you need to dillute the test water, other wise the GH would be off the scale. Sounds interesting anyway.

ron101
02-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Marty, what has changed in your tank in the last month? Those stonies new, what kind? The coralline growth take off?

IME kalk alone wont support much stony (esp sps) growth alone.

chwkreefer
02-28-2004, 05:48 PM
The instructions ask for GH not DH. Whisch is why you need to dillute the test water, other wise the GH would be off the scale. Sounds interesting anyway.

It does work, I've used this method a few times. It might not be quite as accurate as a dedicated mg test, but it will certainly let you know if you are in the ballpark or need some correction.

martym
02-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Nothing has change in my tank. The last thing I added was a anemone about 3-4 weeks ago, and maybe 10-15 snails and hermits ( combined) Oh and I added MH lighting 4-days ago :smile: Very little load for a 75g witha 20g sump. 3 fish, sun coarl, anamone, toadstool, 3 zoo's, 2 monti caps ( small), 4 digiata's( small) 2 trees (small) 70lbs live rock and 1.5-2" sand bed.

martym
02-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Did the hagen test and it showed my magnesium was at 840mg/l So that would explain the low calcium.
thanks chwkreefer :biggrin:

chwkreefer
02-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Did the hagen test and it showed my magnesium was at 840mg/l So that would explain the low calcium.
thanks chwkreefer :biggrin:

Glad you got things figured out.

Bill