PDA

View Full Version : POTM theme submissions

muck
02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Hello All,

Up till now the POTM theme has pretty much always been decided by the staff.
As we are always looking for new ideas and themes for the upcoming monthly POTM contest, here is your chance to have your ideas considered.

If you think you have a good idea and would like it to be considered for a future contest you can post it in this thread or if you prefer send them to me or your favorite canreef staff (is there such a thing :lol:) via PM.

Ryan

muck
02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
and LIVE... :mrgreen:

lastlight
02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
MOORISH IDOLS.

whatcaneyedo
02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Limpets

Aquattro
02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Best reef pic with a phone...

Skimmerking
02-06-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm all for that one

sphelps
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Here's what I got:

"New and Noteworthy" - Something new in your reef you feel like sharing but picture must be new (not previously posted on this forum).

"Pairs or Mates" - some kind of pair or mate from the typical stuff to the very weird, extra points for weird :razz:

"Pests" - Any kind of pest from algae to that nasty crab, Aiptasia also comes to mind.

"Crazy Colors" - Something with lots of color and lots of it... More colors the better.

"Make Your Own Theme" - Pic a theme, take a pic to capture it and share both the theme and pic. Extra points for creativity.

"Tentacles" - easy enough...

"The Forbidden" - pictures of what some might say "best kept in the ocean". Doesn't mean you actually have to keep such things but you might have a pic of something.

"Inspiration" - Something that shows what inspires/motivates you to keep a saltwater tank.

"Frags" - post pic of frag...

"Photoshop" - have some fun creating something unique with Photoshop or other editing program.

"Series" - Post 3 pictures that go together, could be like a montage or collage.

"Avatar" - take or make a pic that would make a good avatar.

"Camera Phone" - Picture using a camera phone, everyone has a camera phone right? Edit - beat to the punch on this one.

I'll post some more later as they come to me but feel she to shut me up whenever :lol:

MarkoD
02-06-2012, 08:14 PM
How about a photo of live stock interaction?

Eg: cleaner wrasse cleaning another fish, clowns hosting anemone, fish spawning activity, etc....

sphelps
02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
It also might be fun to try some really vague themes. I know some people on the forum feel they can't compete with whatever equipment they have but if the theme is something "delicate", "dangerous", "timid", "moody", "strange", or "contrast" it becomes more about who can demonstrate the theme better rather than who can take the best picture of a "whatever".

Aquattro
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Best shot of another reefer working in/on/under tank...

lastlight
02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
- mishaps
- ghetto diy
- your fav photo
- best series of rapidly changing pictures (video)

Nano
02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I like the cell phone pic idea

ScubaSteve
02-06-2012, 09:12 PM
- Bryopsis and other nuisance algae

.... er... I mean...

- Artistic/Composition
- Macro (as in macro lens, not algae)
- Conchs!
- Crazy Colours

lockrookie
02-06-2012, 10:03 PM
maybe one month of the year have an epic fail potm other than that i like most of the ideas unsure of the guy under the tank working is such a good idea gives me the whole ppl of walmart imagery.

reefwars
02-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Chitons

that is all lol

sphelps
02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
"growth" - two pictures demonstrating growth

"before and after" - kinda same deal as above but more vague and could apply to color changes or something else.

muck
02-06-2012, 10:17 PM
- NOT reef safe

sphelps
02-06-2012, 10:21 PM
While not a theme idea I have a suggestion regarding voting. Rather than spending all the time setting up polls simply have the staff get together and pick a winner. If not staff then someone that remains anonymous can be chosen or something along those lines. This is actually more typical of other photo contests and you might get a better turn out as people can just post pictures without having them displayed with a ranking beside them at the end of the month.

Samw
02-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Best pose with a live shark!
Best copepod.

We should have a monthly vote for the monthly POTM theme.

fishoholic
02-07-2012, 12:29 AM

I like this idea. Also sphelps has a lot of good ideas.

While not a theme idea I have a suggestion regarding voting. Rather than spending all the time setting up polls simply have the staff get together and pick a winner. If not staff then someone that remains anonymous can be chosen or something along those lines. This is actually more typical of other photo contests and you might get a better turn out as people can just post pictures without having them displayed with a ranking beside them at the end of the month.

Personally I like that everyone can vote for the pic they like the best, I enjoy seeing the pic's all lined up together. Although I admit some months are harder to pick then others cause there are so many good pictures to choose from, but it's fun being able to vote.

sphelps
02-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Personally I like that everyone can vote for the pic they like the best, I enjoy seeing the pic's all lined up together. Although I admit some months are harder to pick then others cause there are so many good pictures to choose from, but it's fun being able to vote.

I agree voting is good, I'd just be curious if some don't like the idea of being ranked. Would be curious how many more would partake if it wasn't a public poll. The other thing is I know is it takes a good chunk of time and effort to set those polls up, while it might not seem like a big deal, things like that can get tiring after a while and the whole energy level can drop.

Parker
05-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm waiting for the Aptasia photo contest - I'd have that one wrapped up!

fishoholic
05-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm waiting for the Aiptasia photo contest - I'd have that one wrapped up!

I don't know I might give you a run for your money on that one! I have one that's getting close to baseball size :redface:

troni
05-04-2012, 03:04 PM
maybe one month of the year have an epic fail potm other than that i like most of the ideas unsure of the guy under the tank working is such a good idea gives me the whole ppl of walmart imagery.

- NOT reef safe

i like the idea of fails or mishaps it brings a new element to potm.:faint:

I agree voting is good, I'd just be curious if some don't like the idea of being ranked.

really? theres a pictures forum if you want to post and not be ranked.

sphelps
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
really? theres a pictures forum if you want to post and not be ranked.

Just an idea to get more people interested is all. I happen to know there are people who don't participate because they don't believe they have the skills or equipment to compete and don't like the idea of a poll with zero votes next to there name to tell them that. But you're probably right these people should go elsewhere, the point of this thread is definitely not to present ideas to get more people interested :rolleyes:

troni
05-04-2012, 03:52 PM
all i was doing was pointing out the fact theres a place for that. whats a contest without competition.
if we have to go as far as to protect peoples feelings from getting hurt then dont show the vote count. next its banning tag in schools.
:banplease:

sphelps
05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
all i was doing was pointing out the fact theres a place for that. whats a contest without competition.
if we have to go as far as to protect peoples feelings from getting hurt then dont show the vote count. next its banning tag in schools.
:banplease:

The POTM isn't about competition, there are also other places for that if that's what you seek. I believe all the people involved would agree it's about encouraging people to share pictures of there hobby not about who wins or looses. Plus there would still be a winner, it's not like I'm suggesting we give everyone participation ribbons. It just might make more sense on many levels to have the winning picture simply picked by someone. But at the end of the day it's a just a suggestion.

I have to ask though, have the rules of tag changed? I didn't know after recess schools held assemblies and lined up all the players of tag and then proceeded to rank them from highest to lowest on stage.

Aquattro
05-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Guys, it's a contest voted on by peers. If someone doesn't have confidence in their skills, there are other forums for plain old pretty pictures. This is the selection of the best photo as selected by peers. My skills suck, I don't enter, I'm ok with it. I post pics elsewhere.
This thread is actually about suggesting themes, not redesigning the process. We have lots of people involved when the subject isn't silly, and even then, we have fun with it.
Let's enjoy it for what it is, look at pretty pics all over the board, suggest tips in the appropriate forums, and maybe we can help someone there become better enough to enter this contest. Or not.

sphelps
05-04-2012, 04:29 PM
My apologies, my discussions with other staff members suggested differently. I retract any statements not of worth.

troni
05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
edit

kobelka
05-04-2012, 09:03 PM
What about having entries PMd in and posted by staff. Then you would only be voting based on the pics themselves not knowing whose pic was whose?

Aquattro
05-04-2012, 09:08 PM
What about having entries PMd in and posted by staff. Then you would only be voting based on the pics themselves not knowing whose pic was whose?

Not a terrible idea, but does create more work. Let's see what Ryan thinks of that :)

muck
05-05-2012, 04:29 AM

Not a terrible idea, but does create more work. Let's see what Ryan thinks of that :)

Sure... Please feel free to send entries to myself and I will post the photos. Those that want to post photos in the contest entry thread themselves are welcome to do so as well.

Ryan

paddyob
05-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Euphyllia. LPS! Brains or acans!

Duker
05-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Yup, I really like the idea of:
1. Pairs
2. Symbyosis Interactions (eg. Fish and cleaner, clown n anenome, pistol shrimp and shrimp goby.......
3. Phone pics

Nano
05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Have zoanthids been done before?

That would be my submission lol

Madmak
05-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Behind the scenes pics?

Spot feeding / feeding action pics?

Most humorous pic?

arash53
07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
What is the July theme?

Leah
07-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Best shot of another reefer working in/on/under tank...

Pretty sure... I am out of this one.