PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer set up for my 314 gallon

Gripenfelter
02-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I currently have 2 skimmers. A SWC 200 and a SWC 180 cone skimmer. The 200 is good for up to 200 gallons but I'm not currently running it. The 180 cone is good up to 250 gallons light load.

On my old 120 gallon set up the refugium was so efficient I would hardly pull anything out with the skimmer. It would fill a 2 L waste bottle every 3-4 weeks. Or about 500 ml per week.

On my new setup I have the 314 gallon display tank, a 70 gallon refugium with 100 lbs of rock, a 50 gallon sump where my 180 cone skimmer sits, and a 30 gallon tank which my return pump uses to send water back to the display tank from.

So far it looks like the 180 cone skimmer pulls out 500 ml of goo per day.

At what point should I put in a bigger simmer or install the SWC 200 downstream from the SWC 180 cone?

Skimmerking
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM
I find that with 2 skimmers people want to run them dry and wet. IMO having 2 skimmers really all you’re doing is working against each other. I’m idea would be run a skimmer that can run the entire tank. you will have a 2 skimmers running against each other. One will run hard and the other will run somewhat. to me that is a waste of room and power. This is my thoughts people will get a skimmer that is some what smaller or even to the gallons. Now say I have a 150 gal tank total water is 150 the sump is 30 gal minus the rock and sand. If the skimmer is rated for say 120 then you are going to see this skimmer run at top levels. Hence, filling the cup really fast. I have seen it and witness this from others. Its not that the skimmer is a best or it’s the best it’s just over running and filling up fast.
So Gripen it’s like t his get me the total water volume of the water that you have.

1. Then get me how much rock and sand you have.
2. How much you feed
3. How much fish you have too.
I will do my magic and tell you what I honestly think.

HTH mike

I currently have 2 skimmers. A SWC 200 and a SWC 180 cone skimmer. The 200 is good for up to 200 gallons but I'm not currently running it. The 180 cone is good up to 250 gallons light load.

On my old 120 gallon set up the refugium was so efficient I would hardly pull anything out with the skimmer. It would fill a 2 L waste bottle every 3-4 weeks. Or about 500 ml per week.

On my new setup I have the 314 gallon display tank, a 70 gallon refugium with 100 lbs of rock, a 50 gallon sump where my 180 cone skimmer sits, and a 30 gallon tank which my return pump uses to send water back to the display tank from.

So far it looks like the 180 cone skimmer pulls out 500 ml of goo per day.

At what point should I put in a bigger simmer or install the SWC 200 downstream from the SWC 180 cone?

globaldesigns
02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I use to run 2 skimmers, but had issues. I found that I had to have 2 skimmers of equal capabilities. For example I ran a EuroReef RS180 and a Tunze DOC skimmer, but the Tunze never worked, and never pulled an ounce of skimmate, but when I bought the Hydor, and ran it with the EuroReef, I had much more success. Eventually I sold the Euro, and ran the Hydor and SWC 160 without issue.

But in stating the above, I would have to now agree with Mike and say, it is easier to run a skimmer than can handle the highest bioload possible for your tank size. It takes up less room, uses less power and is overall just easier.

Just my 2 cents, and I can now say I only run the one skimmer.

Gripenfelter
02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I have approximate 300 lbs of rock in my tank and sump. 314 gallons in display. 150 gallons in refugium and sump.

5 tangs, 1 trigger, 2 angels, 4 damsels, 4 clowns, 4 cardinals, 3 Chromis, 1 goby, 1 blenny. Not counting coral, snails, crabs, etc.