PDA

View Full Version : Warning on glass thermo's

sumpfinfishe
02-06-2012, 04:13 AM
I know this has come up in the past but it's just a reminder that sometimes you need to double check things.

Over the weekend my reef fluctuated from 74-86 in the course of about 30hrs. Turns out that one of two mercury glass thermometers was out by a whopping 5 degrees! and the second was reading correctly but I didn't know which to go by until I ran the check, I trouble shot my heater to make sure that it was functioning ok.Then used 3 different thermo's including infared to see which one was out. I ran a pinpoint probe on my last reef so i guess this gives me an excuse to go shopping. Lucky all livestock and corals look good.

So I'm curious as to what all you folks are running for thermo's: digital, mercury, or digital probes:question:

Delphinus
02-06-2012, 04:16 AM
I use a Ranco controller. Bought it off ebay and there was an option for titanium probes so I went with that.

sumpfinfishe
02-06-2012, 04:29 AM
After my 12yrs of keeping fish an reefs i really don't know what i was thinking putting the new reef in jeopardy over a $3 thermo, yeah think that probe on my list of things to do just worked it's way to the top:wink:

Maybe it's not like riding a bike, but don't tell Brad that:lol:
Now I may have to use that for my new signature:mrgreen:

marie
02-06-2012, 04:29 AM

So I'm curious as to what all you folks are running for thermo's: digital, mercury, or digital probes:question:

Ummmm, the same thermo I used on my kids when they were little........skin:redface:

MMAX
02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Are you sure it's mercury? Due to its toxicity manufacturers quit using mercury in thermometers years and years ago.

reefgirl189
02-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Digital Probe off of my controller. As an instrument technician I appreciate the value of being able to calibrate my equipment to a known standard.

sumpfinfishe
02-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah maybe its acohol, they have little beads and red
fluid inside. What ever there made out of, i think they
need to drastically re design them.

Aquattro
02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Maybe it's not like riding a bike, but don't tell Brad that:lol:

You know he reads everything, right?? :)

Rich, I used one of those for years without issue, so they aren't complete crap. But I always had 2 devices, one was a digital thermometer. As long as 2 devices say close to the same thing, you should be ok.

These days though, I use my Apex to manage temp. Well, actually, I also use the Ranco controller on my chiller, but just because of location I can't manage it all on the Apex.

christyf5
02-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah maybe its acohol, they have little beads and red
fluid inside. What ever there made out of, i think they
need to drastically re design them.

its called red spirit and yeah, basically alcohol and some other junk. Get yourself a digital, IMO unless you spend a bit more than the $3 for those kind you're wasting your money, no matter what Brad says :razz:

Aquattro
02-06-2012, 03:04 PM
no matter what Brad says :razz:

:tape:

sumpfinfishe
02-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Women are always right dont you know that by now Brad:wink
Yeah i do plan on getting a pinpoint then having two for safety sake,
a newbie mistake by an oldie:redface:

vaporize
02-07-2012, 12:14 AM
I thought infra-red one is pretty accurate isn't it?

sumpfinfishe
02-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Yes the one i borrowed is for water, cost $400 and is used in labs so its
pretty precise. Tho i think i will take the second option an go with a
pinpoint monitor,, then again its a cool toy:biggrin: