PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Eden ?

unclesalty
02-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know if there is any place in Canada who sells the Tropic Eden substrates. I have found a place in the US but shipping would cost a fortune I am guessing.

unclesalty
02-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Found out today there is only a few US places that sell it but no one in Canada sells it for some odd reason.

tang daddy
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I am not sure what substrate this is but if it's soil based you may not want to bother ordering it into Canada as they have very strict rules about soil, and other foreign substrates, also the paper work is a pain.

unclesalty
02-06-2012, 07:46 PM
I am not sure what substrate this is but if it's soil based you may not want to bother ordering it into Canada as they have very strict rules about soil, and other foreign substrates, also the paper work is a pain.

Tropic Eden is just a high grade aragonite imported from Europe. Its super clean and really nice and white looking unlike the Caribsea substrates. Just got one quote for shipping from the US and just shipping alone was almost $200. It looks like I won't be getting any deals on this product if I decide to buy it from the US.

tang daddy
02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Could it be a possibility to have the substrate shipped close to the border then you could just drive over and bring it back?

unclesalty
02-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Could it be a possibility to have the substrate shipped close to the border then you could just drive over and bring it back?

Excellent idea and thanks to fellow reefer- "jhammer" I will have some Tropic Eden Reef Flakes very soon!
Thanks again Jhammer!

unclesalty
02-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Or Mini Flakes as I haven't decided yet!

kaboom
04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Did you find some? I am looking for a bag myself.

Simons
04-09-2013, 05:31 PM
I would love to use this exclusively on my 250Gal tank but....shipping costs would make it prohibitive. I know for around 90lbs of it the shipping was over $100.

ckmullin
04-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I would love to use this exclusively on my 250Gal tank but....shipping costs would make it prohibitive. I know for around 90lbs of it the shipping was over $100.

Can you track down the manufacturer and ask if there are Canadian dealers? Perhaps a group buy for a bulk load of the stuff to reduce overall shipping charges?

Just spitballing.

Simons
04-09-2013, 06:30 PM
I can look into it for sure.

Simons
04-09-2013, 07:51 PM
I have contacted the US distributor in hopes a large bulk order 'may' drive down the cost. When I hear anything I will get you know.

cheers

Simons
04-09-2013, 09:29 PM
UPDATE:

I received an email back from Jeremy Brower down at Premium Aquatics, he said he would be happy to help us with a pallet order however; there could be issues importing aragonite media in that much volume at the boarder. He indicated that if we did some work on our side regarding any customs issues on our side he would be happy to price up and help us.

I can contact Canada Customs and ask them what if anything we would need or does anyone in cyberspace have any insight? I have no idea about importation issues, might be why no Canadian supplier carries this brand but I am not sure why this aragonite would be so much more 'special' than any other variety (other than we can't get it here).

thoughts?

cheers