PDA

View Full Version : New Hobbyist Here..With PICS!

04V10
02-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey guys,

New guy here from Cold Lake. I just started up my 20gal last week. I've got a marineland 150 penguin HOB (no biowheel)
~20lbs live rock
25lbs live sand
50W heater (My 100W had a leak and I have to return it)
Koralia Nano power head
Hydor Power Head
Mazarra LED lights. Going to get another module to help with the spotlighting.

I am on day 8 of the cycle process and have just started 2 days ago to see nitrites and nitrates.

There are a few inhabitants that hitchhiked in. I've got what looks like Zoas, a bristleworm, and some unknown polyp at the time. There also was a very large crab that crawled out to die on day 4..lol. I also opted not to scrub the rock as there was some really good coraline on the rock, as well as some sps coral that I was hoping would survive. Looking forward to chatting with you guys. Let me know what you guys think. Oh and yes I know that red algae is a pain in the butt, but I figure I'd get one or two mexican turbos to go crazy over it..

fishytime
02-05-2012, 01:15 AM
welcome to canreef!......and it's alive!!!!!.......sounds like a good start and keep us posted.....better yet start a tank journal thread for us to follow:biggrin:

reefgirl189
02-05-2012, 01:55 AM
Great to see I'm not the only Lakeland reefer! Welcome!

04V10
02-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Reefgirl189 what have you gotten setup?? Where are you getting your livestock from? Just kind of wondering if there is anything close as I am finding myself going to Edmonton for everything...

troni
02-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Welcome,

Nice aquascape! I just 3 weeks ago set up a 20g myself. And its pretty exciting. Just a heads up near the end of your cycle you'll get a brown algae breakout which from what I've been reading is diatoms and then it'll all change to green algae. This is all normal from all my research I never knew abou these phases until I had them.
What do you plan on stocking in your tank?

bignose
02-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Welcome to Canreef.

Make sure you leave enough room for your mag cleaner to pass between the rock and glass. If you don't you will have a headache cleaning in the future.

reefgirl189
02-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Reefgirl189 what have you gotten setup?? Where are you getting your livestock from? Just kind of wondering if there is anything close as I am finding myself going to Edmonton for everything...

We have 2 180 gallons at the moment but one isn't set up yet. One is reef the other will be FOWLR probably.

I've been dealing with Kelly from thereefshoppe in Lloyd mostly but when I go to Edmonton I try to check out a few stores there. Kelly ships me up anything he has in stock and shipping cost is reasonable. If you ever want to split an order to save shipping LMK and we can go in on one. Also some of the vendors in Edmonton are willing to ship too, like RedCoral for example. There are probably others if you ask.

Acipenser
02-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Welcome to Canreef.

Make sure you leave enough room for your mag cleaner to pass between the rock and glass. If you don't you will have a headache cleaning in the future.

Hahahah I found this out the hard way !

bignose
02-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Hahahah I found this out the hard way !
I'm sure a lot of people have done the same including myself.

sumpfinfishe
02-06-2012, 04:21 AM
Welcome!
Tons of friendly helpful people here with a combined experience to last a lifetime and empty bank accounts to boot:mrgreen:

reefgirl189
02-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Welcome!
Tons of friendly helpful people here with a combined experience to last a lifetime and empty bank accounts to boot:mrgreen:

I can back that statement up. Unfortunately... ;)

04V10
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Welcome to Canreef.

Well thanks for the heads up!! I've gone one rock that is quite close, I'll be moving that ASAP.

Just a side note on the tank. Checked my params yesterday and the ammonia has dropped in half and the nitrates has also dropped. Got my diatom bloom on hardcore, and that unknown polyp looking creature is getting bigger everyday. Can't wait until I get the old cleanup crew going.