PDA

View Full Version : Can this sump be repaired?

doch
02-04-2012, 04:53 PM
The other night my 3 month old sump cracked on the bottom pain of glass causing a hefty leak all over the basement. I can only assume that it cracked because there was limited height in the stand, so I risked not using styrofoam on the bottom, and paid for it. The sump has several baffles, so I don't want to remove and replace the bottom pain as it will be more work than it's worth. Since the sides, front and back hang over the edges of the bottom pain, I was thinking of just getting a peice of glass cut to the outside dimensions of the sump and siliconing the perimeter as well as some in the middle of the glass. Essentially, this would cover over the bottom of the sump, and I would have 2 pains of glass under the sump. In my head, this works... anybody agree or see any problems with this plan?

monocus
02-04-2012, 05:05 PM
sounds feasible.i would make sure that the crack is siliconed all the way

doch
02-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Oh for sure! I was thinking of using a hole tube and spreading it evenly over the hole surface of the bottom, and then a little extra around the perimeter.

tim the toolman
02-05-2012, 02:28 AM
Should work fine

FitoPharmer
02-05-2012, 05:17 AM
I had a similar issue with a huge sump. I siliconed the crack and it did not leak, however I replaced the sump just for the peace of mind. Nothing is worse then having to replace your sump a few months down the road if you find out your patch job was a little leaky. I had a 8 gallon cube burst, That was enough water to make me realize new tanks are cheap compared to the damage caused by a little more then a bucket of water.