PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use under your LR?

Son Of Skyline
07-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Like the topic asks, what do you guys/gals use as a base for you LR? Base rock? PVC? Nothing? I'm going to need to mount 100+ lbs of LR and I'm wondering what you all might recommend. To me PVC seems the cheapest, but can it handle all the weight of the rock? I thought about eggcrate on top of it, but I don't want anything like that to end up showing in the tank if a fish starts to dig under the rock. Suggestion? Thanks in advance.

DJ88
07-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Nothing at all.

ok because Steve has to be Mr smartypants.. I use sand.. :D

[ 05 July 2002, 10:45: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

StirCrazy
07-05-2002, 02:44 PM
myself, SAND smile.gif I have toyed with al the ideas of racks and such the fact is I have onely seen a couple racks that look good out of hundreds so I gave up.. alsosand will do a much better job in dispersing the weight over a larger area.

Steve

Son Of Skyline
07-05-2002, 02:59 PM
So do you guys just put the rock on top of the sand? Or put the rock in first and then dump the sand in around it? I ask because I don't want any burrowing fish to get crushed under my rock if they start digging under without any support for the rock. Is this a real concern or am I just paranoid?

kris
07-05-2002, 03:47 PM
hey i used tufa rock to suport my live rock. I have a purple lobster that loves to dig caves so i had to do something so the rock work would not tumble.

Troy F
07-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Mason, J&L's have a box of rock that could be used for base. It is from Caribsea I think and is basically just mined limestone. Pretty cheap I think.

You could also have a look at Scott's set up, I think there are pictures on his website that show how he set it up. It is basically just a PVC framework that the rock sits on and is covered with sand. Scott's doubles as a spray bar to get some circulation low, not sure how that is working out but as a framework it would probably do what you are looking for.

Bryan
07-05-2002, 11:43 PM
I don't use anything on my tank, but the next time I set up another reef I will add eggcrate or some other type of material on the bottom so the rock doesn't slide around on the glass. When landscaping I have found the rock can tend to slip around on the bottom casuing everything to come crashing down.

Aquattro
07-06-2002, 04:51 AM
I just use sand also. If you're going to have burrowing critters, put rock in first. If not, put it on top of the sand.

Son Of Skyline
07-06-2002, 04:56 AM
I guess I should just get some base rock huh? Some of my favorite fish are burrowers (jawfish, watchman goby...and *gasp*...snowflake moray)and I really want to keep these fish in my new tank!

Doug
07-06-2002, 10:19 AM
I,m with Steve. Mine just sits in the sand. I placed base rock on a couple inches of sand, where the reef was going to be higher. Then placed more sand in and around. This creates a base for the remainder of the rock.

I also have lots just on the sands surface and wedged into the sand a little. But they are free standing alone and not part of a structure.