PDA

View Full Version : glass top yes or no

Reef-Geek
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I recently bought aqueon's versa glass top for my aquarium and found they actually block lights because of water evaporation, so I took them out but what happened is my water evaporation increased to almost 2 gallon a day(72gal) and my sleeper goby jumped. so yes or no for glass top? alternatives?

apexifd
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
mesh top + ATO

Flash
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
USED TO DO GLASS, BUT HAD A FRIEND MAKE ME MESH/SCREEN TOPS! LOVE THEM AND MY WRASSES CAN'T GET OUT!

reefgirl189
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
mesh top + ATO

This is what we do. I have a 5 gal ATO resevoir and I need to fill it up every 36-48 hours. Dry winter air and creeking harwood floor in our house doesn't seem to happen anymore :smile:

The cross brace in the tank needs to be cleaned often so I know what you are dealing with having to clean the glass so often. It gets old real quick. Topping up the evaporation is the lesser of two evils.

globaldesigns
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I have an open top, with Tunze ATO... Love the open feel, but it does mean I cannot get livestock that jumps or can crawl out.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I have glass tops over all my tanks now. Yes, I lose some of the light's intensity etc. but my open top 210g with 75g sump used to lose 10-15g per week. All that water vapour into the house's interior cannot be good for the house or its occupants (ie. mold/mildew). Glass tops has me down to 5-6g on the 165g with open 90g wide sump. I'm sure I could cut this down even more with glass tops over the sump. In my house, any open top tank loses two to three times as much water through evaporation than a closed glass top tank. With severe MTS, this is a real concern.

I was thinking of going mesh top but the evaporation rate increase has me hesitant to go that route. And yes, I am wrasse-crazy so the tops serve a double purpose. But mainly I have them to reduce evaporation.

Chowder
02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I have glass tops over all my tanks now. Yes, I lose some of the light's intensity etc. but my open top 210g with 75g sump used to lose 10-15g per week. All that water vapour into the house's interior cannot be good for the house or its occupants (ie. mold/mildew). Glass tops has me down to 5-6g on the 165g with open 90g wide sump. I'm sure I could cut this down even more with glass tops over the sump. In my house, any open top tank loses two to three times as much water through evaporation than a closed glass top tank. With severe MTS, this is a real concern.

I was thinking of going mesh top but the evaporation rate increase has me hesitant to go that route. And yes, I am wrasse-crazy so the tops serve a double purpose. But mainly I have them to reduce evaporation.

Hey Anthony , what is the difference in temperature.

Lethbridge
02-02-2012, 10:03 PM
I prefer open top over glass lid for a few reasons: I like the open top look, light intensity is cut slightly with glass lid, and if not cleaned regularly algae/ salt creep etc can build up and reduce light even more. As for evaporation, I use a tunze ato with great success, and i find if your fish are not stressed and compatibile with your other fish, jumping is minimum if at all.

MarkoD
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
i have open top. and i get about 1 gallon per day of evaporation since switching to LED. (Use to be about 2.5 gallons per day with halides)

i have 3 wrasses and none of them have ever tried to jump out

an alternative could be to use eggcrate.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey Anthony , what is the difference in temperature.

I'm full LED now so heat not an issue. Also I can crank my LEDs to 100% instead of 70% if necessary:wink:

Last summer the weather was so cool heat never an issue.

jagermaier
02-02-2012, 11:40 PM
I would say one of the biggest benefits to an open top other than allowing better light is allowing proper gas exchange. As oxygen is dissolved into the water, carbon dioxide and other gases is released.

outacontrol
02-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Glass top all the way, even my sump is covered. Way less evaporation, nothing can jump and nothing can fall in. With adequate water movement gas exchange is not an issue. As for heat, well the house has central air so no issue there. Another plus is the lights don't get any salt creep or water spots on them, so the lights last longer and with the lights staying in brand new condition it makes up for the light that the glass blocks.

kien
02-03-2012, 02:19 AM
this (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78606&highlight=glass+top) and this (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41410&highlight=glass+top) might help.

globaldesigns
02-03-2012, 05:06 AM
I would say one of the biggest benefits to an open top other than allowing better light is allowing proper gas exchange. As oxygen is dissolved into the water, carbon dioxide and other gases is released.

Actually very good points

knickle22
02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
i removed my glass top about a month ago. I have a custom led setup built into my canopy. I am now worried my wiring and leds well corrode as my leds are open and about 6" above water surface, would any suggestions?