PDA

View Full Version : LF: Live Adult Brine Shrimp (urgent)

ScubaSteve
02-02-2012, 07:26 PM
I've been doing battle with a picky anthers for the past couple of weeks. I started the pair of them on live brine and thought I got both of them onto cyclopeeze and the odd mysis, though it seems only the smallest one is taking the frozen foods. I shut down my brine shrimp operation once I thought I was in the clear. The big one isn't taking anything I've been throwing in there and is beginning to show signs of starvation (not in physical traits but behavior).

However, my cleaner shrimp hatched eggs the other night and the big anthias was going after them like a champ. This is good, he's still eating... Just not eating what I'm trying to feed him. It seems he was live foods in the 1 to 5 mm range. Bugger. I've restarted the shrimp hatchery bit it'll take me a week before I'm close to adult size brine shrimp.

Does anyone have an adult brine culture or know where I can get some to tide the anthias over until my is up and running again?

pinhead
02-02-2012, 08:05 PM
What about Blackworms? My Copperband goes wild for them and they have to be one of the pickiest eaters around. Fraser Aquarium gets them in every week.

George
02-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Have you tried live tigger pods? J&L has it, probably some other stores in your area also. Tigger pods are 1mm-1.5mm in size. That matches your requirement.
Just curious, what anthias are those? Have you tried to mince hikari mysis to smaller bits?

ScubaSteve
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
What about Blackworms? My Copperband goes wild for them and they have to be one of the pickiest eaters around. Fraser Aquarium gets them in every week.

Thanks Doug! I've been looking for a good source of worms. I want to try them in addition to brine. I think I'm going to need a multi-pronged approach to this guy.

Have you tried live tigger pods? J&L has it, probably some other stores in your area also. Tigger pods are 1mm-1.5mm in size. That matches your requirement.
Just curious, what anthias are those? Have you tried to mince hikari mysis to smaller bits?

No, I haven't tried the tiggers but I may try getting some tomorrow.

They are a pair of Sunburst Anthias, a small female and a big one that looks by all account to be male. Part of my problem is that my tank is fairly bright and has a large cave structure... so they're still acclimating to the light (so far the small one has only ventured out, though the big one came out for the cleaner shrimp nauplii) and they don't need to venture far from the cave. There is a flow through the cave but it's tough getting food in to them (they'll only touch food that's in the current). I've tried dicing up mysis and plankton (euphasia pacifica) and mixing it with the cyclopeeze. The little guy will take the odd piece of plankton but the big guy doesn't even look at them from what I can tell (he hides in a cavern when I'm around that makes it hard to see what he's doing).

paddyob
02-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Try NLS finicky eater pellets. My lyretail has been eating it almost exclusively for over a year.

tang daddy
02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Monous may have a culture... If not pm me and I'll ask my other friends

ScubaSteve
02-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Try NLS finicky eater pellets. My lyretail has been eating it almost exclusively for over a year.

Does JL Carry these? I didn't seem them on their site...

Monous may have a culture... If not pm me and I'll ask my other friends

Thanks Dude. I'll give him a shout and see what he's got.

ps. Thanks for that frag. It's growing like a bloody weed and has wicked colour!