PDA

View Full Version : Need glass cut in Calgary.

ALBERTA REEF
01-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Looking for a place to get glass and cut for cheap.Working on a sump build. I tried cuttind some old 6mm glass. Lets just say it didn't turn out well. 4 pieces17 3/8" x 10" and 4 pieces 17 3/8"x 14". Need them for baffles. I do have some 3/8" and 1/2" slavage glass.

tim the toolman
01-30-2012, 02:29 AM
If you have a decent glass cutter it should be quite easy to cut the glass you have. The trick is oil your cut line, oil your blade and only run the line 1 time. Push relatively hard and once you have your score line use the opposite end of the cutter on the other side of the glass and push gently on the outside edges. Should just pop down the line. Best of luck

The Grizz
01-30-2012, 02:36 AM
I could cut some for you Corey. I have 6 mm here and coming to Calgary this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross
01-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Push relatively hard...

I disagree. If you are pushing hard enough to chip the glass along your cut, you are pushing too hard.
You want to score the glass, not cut it.
It should be one constant paper ripping sound.

Hope this helps.

tim the toolman
01-30-2012, 05:45 AM
I said relatively hard I didn't say lean on the cutter. I do commercial glass for a living so I have a good grasp on the technique. If you don't score it properly it will not break cleanly but if you are too aggressive the glass will spur and you run the risk of the cut running off on you, which is why the oil is very important.

meander
02-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Looking for a place to get glass and cut for cheap.Working on a sump build. I tried cuttind some old 6mm glass. Lets just say it didn't turn out well. 4 pieces17 3/8" x 10" and 4 pieces 17 3/8"x 14". Need them for baffles. I do have some 3/8" and 1/2" slavage glass.

I just had almost exactly this set of glass baffles cut for a 40 breeder sump project. I'm not in Calgary so I can't help you with a specific supplier, but I had good luck in Toronto by asking around at independent (not big box) hardware stores. It didn't take me long to find an independent who had 6mm glass in stock, and cut & ground the pieces for about $6 each, same day.

The Grizz
02-04-2012, 01:48 AM
All taken care of, thanks for the trade Corey :thumb:

ALBERTA REEF
02-04-2012, 02:46 PM
All taken care of, thanks for the trade Corey :thumb:

Your welcome.:biggrin: