PDA

View Full Version : GFO regeneration

Cal_stir
01-29-2012, 01:33 PM
I am about to try regenerating BRS HC GFO with lye, has anyone tried this?
What proceedure did you use? Were you successful?

hillegom
01-29-2012, 03:31 PM
I have been wondering the same thing.
Am going to purchase some gfo soon.

Cal_stir
01-29-2012, 03:40 PM
I have @ 5lbs of used HC GFO, I've ordered a media canister and maxijet pump from BRS, I'm going to try this method.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/10/chemistry

hillegom
01-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the helpful information

Cal_stir
01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Your welcome, I should have my reactor mid week, I'll post my results.
I bought 3kg of lye which should regen @ 4.5L of GFO for $22.

WindowMaker
01-29-2012, 06:07 PM
great read, but that seems like waaay too much work for me. It also appears that you will be wasting upwards of 50L of water for every 500ml of gfo that is regenerated. top that off, is there an easy and environmentally responsible way to dispose of the water that has muriatic acid in it? I used to have a parts washer in my shop that used muriatic acid as one of its solvents and we had to pay a HAZMAT company to come and dispose of it.

hillegom
01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
great read, but that seems like waaay too much work for me. It also appears that you will be wasting upwards of 50L of water for every 500ml of gfo that is regenerated. top that off, is there an easy and environmentally responsible way to dispose of the water that has muriatic acid in it? I used to have a parts washer in my shop that used muriatic acid as one of its solvents and we had to pay a HAZMAT company to come and dispose of it.

I don't know about the work, I guess its what you feel your time is worth.
The acid water could be neutralized with common baking soda, a simple ph test would indicate a ph of 7 when you have added enough.

Cal_stir
01-29-2012, 06:36 PM
The acid wash is to remove CACO from the GFO, I don't require that step as there is no CACO residue on the GFO, I will be doing the lye wash only.