PDA

View Full Version : Time for LEDs?

Blue Ram
01-29-2012, 03:43 AM
My current light fixture is the Giesmann Infiniti with 2 250 MH and 4 HOT5s. One of the ballasts blew today and will have to be replaced. It is also time to replace all of the bulbs.
I spent some time reading through some of the posts on the LEDs and am seriously considering investing in them mostly because of the high electricity costs associated with the MHs.
I could research lights for days and probably still not be able to make a decision so I thought I might put it out for there for some suggestions from other members.
The tank is a 120 gal reef (48 x 24 x 24).
Looking for a LED setup under $2000 total. Does not have to have everything that LEDs can do as I do not keep a lot of SPS but do have some nice pieces currently. Simplicity and function are also important.
I would very much appreciate hearing from some of you folks on what you would suggest.

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 03:50 AM
Best bang for your buck is Modular Led DIY hands down, my whole setup was around $2200 retail ( I got in on some specials from Martin so it really cost me less then that). The thing I liked the best with going this way is you get to customize your light to your liking.

If you go with Modular LED you could get LED & a controller for probably less then $2k.

toxic111
01-29-2012, 03:50 AM
The AI SOL or the Radions would fall under that $2000 mark. I have the same size tank & I am going with 2 radions

Nano
01-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Best bang for your buck is Mudular Led DIY

Lol looks like you pulled a kenny.. I did that the other day lol

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Lol looks like you pulled a kenny.. I did that the other day lol

AH SHYTE :lol: It's been a long day :biggrin:

Nano
01-29-2012, 04:03 AM
AH SHYTE :lol: It's been a long day :biggrin:

lol yea I know man, get some Z's ;) enough tinkering for one day perhaps?

fishytime
01-29-2012, 04:11 AM
if you are handy, ie can do a DIY led system(I know they arent that difficult) and have a canopy, or can build one, then something like the modular LEDs will be the least expensive route.......if DIY is not your thing then the AI Sol and the Ecotech Radion are the popular choices right now..... the AI is like a Nissan Altima, has plenty of features and is mid-priced as far as LEDs go....the Radion is like the Infinity G37......just a few more features and is on the upper end of pricing......you would need two of either of the two for your tank...the AIs, with controller, would be around $1000....and the Radions would be closer to $1700

toxic111
01-29-2012, 04:36 AM
I looked at the ai's as well but for a 4foot tank they were $200 more than the raidons, as you need 4 units plus the controller.

sphelps
01-29-2012, 04:44 AM
If I had that fixture I'd either replace the ballast and bulbs and forget about LEDs or retrofit in some kind of DIY LED system within that fixture to replace the halides while keeping the T5s. The Infiniti looks real nice over a tank and so clean, be a shame to swap it with something less appealing. No offence to anyone but radions don't hang well and look best hidden in a canopy.

fishytime
01-29-2012, 05:01 AM
No offence to anyone but radions don't hang well and look best hidden in a canopy.

hanging isnt the only option.....heres what I did with mine.....this is just a temporary thing I did with a scrap piece of wood and some "Tek" legs ($70), but with just a coat or two or some black paint, it would look pretty good methinks.....

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6006.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6008.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6009.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6010.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/Fishytime%202/IMGP6011.jpg

Aquattro
01-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Doug, I think with a bit of router work to build a beveled seat for the unit to drop into, and some black laquer, you've got a good idea there.
Part of the price you pay for these lights is for the aesthetics, it would be a shame to hide them in a canopy.

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 05:06 AM
Or you could have something like this built to fit a Radion.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/GRIZZtheWELDER/4f749e4b.jpg

Aquattro
01-29-2012, 05:14 AM

I think a problem with something like this, at least for me, is that on my existing tank, there's no way I could install it. Nor adjust it once installed.

Another feature I'd look at for yours is ensuring one could run the wiring through the tubing to keep everything clean

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 05:21 AM
Another feature I'd look at for yours is ensuring one could run the wiring through the tubing to keep everything clean

That can be done with the AI Sols because the power cord plugs into the fixture & can be easily snaked through the tube.

Aquattro
01-29-2012, 05:23 AM
That can be done with the AI Sols because the power cord plugs into the fixture & can be easily snaked through the tube.

Ya, but I'd drill a hole further down the top arm to feed it into, rather than the front opening.

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Ya, but I'd drill a hole further down the top arm to feed it into, rather than the front opening.

Once you see the finished set up you will see how it works, the tube ends dead center of the fixture so the cord goes straight up from the plug in, straight along the fixture & into the tube. All you will see the plug itself.

Aquattro
01-29-2012, 05:49 AM
Once you see the finished set up you will see how it works, the tube ends dead center of the fixture so the cord goes straight up from the plug in, straight along the fixture & into the tube. All you will see the plug itself.

Ah, ok. Makes sense now :razz:

Nano
01-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Ah, ok. Makes sense now :razz:

Yeah I'm going to pull the wires through tomorrow and mount the ARM to the stand, then you guys can get a better idea if the look we went for. It's really clean, non intrusive, and super functional for my little tank. I imagine it could be modded to fit about any stand or light. The nice thing about leds being so light is you could probably build it to mount to the wall, or even sit directly on the floor if that is an option.

Nano
01-29-2012, 06:03 AM

Lol your just advertising this like mad! It's definitely a gnarly little mount. :razz:

Borderjumper
01-29-2012, 06:07 AM

Most of us using Radions are using multiples, so something with a connecting bar to join the lights could be added? OR a piece of channel that the lights could slide in for adjusting the coverage?

Nano
01-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Most of us using Radions are using multiples, so something with a connecting bar to join the lights could be added? OR a piece of channel that the lights could slide in for adjusting the coverage?

Definitely,very easy to do. But let's put light mount questions directed at this in Greg's or my build thread so we don't stray away from the OP. Lol. But you could definitely do a double version of this with a bar from one end to the other and mount as many as you like. I'm glad everyones digging it Haha

Blue Ram
01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
So after reading all the replies so far,

DIY is out of the question - I am female with limited techie skills which is why I am looking for "simplicity and function"

The reason I'd rather not invest in bulbs and a new ballast for the Infiniti is because of the electricity costs to run it. I will put it up for sale if I invest in LEDs

Not interested in a canopy - would rather be able to hang it

I'm pleased to see a consensus of two fixtures - makes the choice a little easier. Given that I'm not running a super high end tank (ie SPS heavy) - which of the two fixtures would you suggest? I keep quite a large variety of livestock - clams, anemones, lots of softies, duncans and SPS.

sphelps
01-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Well just keep in mind with the LEDs is you're not going to save a ton, realistically you'll be saving 400W max and that's if you downgrade. 400W is about $100 per year for electricity on a typical light schedule. The bulbs will save you more but it'll take a few years to pay off the investment.

Next consider effect, the tank will be dimmer and the effect you get from your T5s will be lost. Essentially two Radions will be similar to to just the two halides running in terms of appearance although the LEDs will offer a more actinic feel not all colors will be improved.

Between the radions and the AIs I think the AI sols are a better bang for the buck. While a single radion tends to be compared to 2 AI sols in terms of wattage keep in mind a good chunk of the radion wattage is given to green and red LEDs which will run very low if at all. The sol blues have a good ratio of what's actually needed and would be a better choice over the sol white. The AIs also come with a mounting rack and hanging kit when purchased as a set.

Vertex is also nice and worth considering, better looking than the two above options as well.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Reds and greens are in wave lengths that do not promote photosynthesis in the symbiotic algae cells living in our corals. They are almost purely for aesthetics.

Nano
01-29-2012, 04:56 PM

DIY is out of the question - I am female with limited techie skills which is why I am looking for "simplicity and function"

The reason I'd rather not invest in bulbs and a new ballast for the Infiniti is because of the electricity costs to run it. I will put it up for sale if I invest in LEDs

I'm pleased to see a consensus of two fixtures - makes the choice a little easier. Given that I'm not running a super high end tank (ie SPS heavy) - which of the two fixtures would you suggest? I keep quite a large variety of livestock - clams, anemones, lots of softies, duncans and SPS.
You should contact Martin at modularled.ca one of our site sponsors here. He has DIY leds that basically just snap together, and he sells complete fixtures like ai sol and radion as well. He's very helpful it would be worth shooting him an email.

The Grizz
01-29-2012, 05:12 PM
If you really want to save money, I am sure that Martin @ Modular could or would build a DIY Led setup for you & if he is to busy I would be willing to help out there to. This hobby can be very expensive so if I can help save someone some bucks & get into what they want I try my best to help out.

MMAX
01-30-2012, 02:00 PM

You don't need "techie" skills with Martin's DIY stuff. Very easy to do, it's all plug and play.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
You don't need "techie" skills with Martin's DIY stuff. Very easy to do, it's all plug and play.

Unless you do a "Grizz" build. Then you need mad skills:wink:

The Grizz
01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Unless you do a "Grizz" build. Then you need mad skills:wink:

:redface: or just be a little MAD:der:

sphelps
01-30-2012, 05:20 PM

Some of us must have different definitions of plug and play. Modular LEDs are no different than other DIY leds besides not requiring soldering although there are also non-soldering options available for other LED boards as well. Regardless the modular LEDs still have to be mounted to an appropriately sized heat sink which has to be cooled with fans and mounted some how above your tank. The LEDs then have to be connected in series appropriately and connected to multiple drivers (ideally with a soldered connection) which also have to be mounted somewhere. Then drivers may or may not need to be tuned to the correct current, either way some basic knowledge about the subject is needed. Then you have to configure the 0-10V or PWM dimming signal to some kind of controller which isn't always that easy for even technical minded people. I don't know about you but I don't see how this falls under plug and play...

lastlight
01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I am female with limited techie skills which is why I am looking for "simplicity and function"

There are a ton of handy women on the boards btw... gender seems irrelevant =)

Although I am not an LED user based on what I've read and recently seeing both the AI and Radions next to each other I'd choose the AI. Seems to be a tremendous value there.

mike31154
01-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Another option often forgotten or ignored these days is the floodlight type LED bulbs available (referred to as PAR 38 which is the form factor & has nothing to do with light measurement). Pretty basic & may not be everyones cup of tea that likes controllers, dimmers & all the bells. But they can be installed like any household bulb, heatsinks, drivers etc. built right in. I believe they're up to 12 or more 1 watt or stronger LEDs per bulb now & many more offerings designed for marine tank use colour wise. Still semi DIY since depending on tank size & number of bulbs you need for coverage, you'll need to have enough light sockets wired close to your tank to handle all the bulbs.

MMAX
01-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Some of us must have different definitions of plug and play. Modular LEDs are no different than other DIY leds besides not requiring soldering although there are also non-soldering options available for other LED boards as well. Regardless the modular LEDs still have to be mounted to an appropriately sized heat sink which has to be cooled with fans and mounted some how above your tank. The LEDs then have to be connected in series appropriately and connected to multiple drivers (ideally with a soldered connection) which also have to be mounted somewhere. Then drivers may or may not need to be tuned to the correct current, either way some basic knowledge about the subject is needed. Then you have to configure the 0-10V or PWM dimming signal to some kind of controller which isn't always that easy for even technical minded people. I don't know about you but I don't see how this falls under plug and play...

That's cause Martin does all that stuff for you. You mount it into your hood, plug it in and away you go.

fishytime
01-31-2012, 12:18 AM
what if you dont have a hood/canopy?..... or the skills/tools to make one?.....then your left with an unsightly diy LED, however easy it may be to assemble.....

sphelps
01-31-2012, 01:38 AM
That's cause Martin does all that stuff for you. You mount it into your hood, plug it in and away you go.
Only if you pay for it, I think someone that was unsure about how these work would be better off putting that extra cash towards a fixture with warranty rather than a DIY system that they no nothing about as it was put together by someone else. I'm sure he's a good guy and all but is this a career path, will he be around to service such items in the future?

Blue Ram
01-31-2012, 02:03 AM
Update - I will have my new lighting delivered on Friday the 3rd. After a lengthy conversation with Martin, I ordered 3 blue Sols. Total cost including rails, cable kit & taxes - under $1500.
I appreciate all the comments provided by everyone and I considered each one of them in my decision.
DIY may have saved some money but it required assembly and skills I do not have.

sphelps
01-31-2012, 02:05 AM
Cool, ramp them up slowly :mrgreen:

MMAX
01-31-2012, 03:07 AM
Only if you pay for it, I think someone that was unsure about how these work would be better off putting that extra cash towards a fixture with warranty rather than a DIY system that they no nothing about as it was put together by someone else. I'm sure he's a good guy and all but is this a career path, will he be around to service such items in the future?

I didn't pay any extra for it. I guess it doesn't matter anymore does it?

kien
01-31-2012, 03:16 AM
I didn't pay any extra for it. I guess it doesn't matter anymore does it?

I didn't know that Martin would assemble the units for you free of charge, that's a sweet deal! I will have to contact him for my LED project. Thanks for the info.

The Grizz
01-31-2012, 03:26 AM
Update - I will have my new lighting delivered on Friday the 3rd. After a lengthy conversation with Martin, I ordered 3 blue Sols. Total cost including rails, cable kit & taxes - under $1500.
I appreciate all the comments provided by everyone and I considered each one of them in my decision.
DIY may have saved some money but it required assembly and skills I do not have.

Very good choice too, I have seen these in person and they are a nice light. You will be very happy.

I didn't know that Martin would assemble the units for you free of charge, that's a sweet deal! I will have to contact him for my LED project. Thanks for the info.

You better mester :lol: