PDA

View Full Version : disappointed in stealth heater

christyf5
01-28-2012, 06:17 PM
I doubt the darned thing is even 2 years old and its deader than a doornail. Tank is 76F this morning (and has been for many mornings according to my controller). My 10 year old Ebo Jager is still going strong, not quite strong enough to get 200gal up to temp though. Good thing I'm going to Victoria tomorrow, I can get another EJ hopefully.

Veng68
01-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah.... I hate to say it but they just don't make them like they used to. I have some old visi-therm heats and they are still working ....... probably 30 years old.

Also they had that little problem with exploding heaters........ or was that another company?

Cheers,
Vic

christyf5
01-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Not sure, this one had a couple "warts" on it. At first I thought maybe they were snail eggs but they were definitely part of the heater. Guess something fried inside.

JBAqua
01-28-2012, 06:28 PM
If it's a Marineland Stealth Pro, there was a voluntary recall of them last year. You could take to the store for a replacement heater of another type (Marineland has withdrawn the product). If you have any questions or have any difficulty getting it replaced, contact Marineland Customer Service (http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/CustomerService/default.aspx?id=1916).

I replaced both of mine with these: Aqueon Pro (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm).

MMAX
01-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I had no problems with my Stealth but got a replacement anyway. They gave me a Marineland Visa-Therm 400 watt unit, wasn't in my tank for 2 weeks and it crapped out. I still have the Stealth but haven't used it again. Heard some horror stories of the things exploding.

christyf5
01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
If it's a Marineland Stealth Pro, there was a voluntary recall of them last year. You could take to the store for a replacement heater of another type (Marineland has withdrawn the product). If you have any questions or have any difficulty getting it replaced, contact Marineland Customer Service (http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/CustomerService/default.aspx?id=1916).

I replaced both of mine with these: Aqueon Pro (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/pro-heaters.htm).

The store went under so I think I'm SOL but thanks for the info!

MarkoD
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Take it to petsmart. They'll replace it no questions asked. It was recalled

Aquattro
01-28-2012, 08:18 PM
The store went under so I think I'm SOL but thanks for the info!

I think any store that sells them will take it...

Aquaria
01-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Just call marineland they will letu know what to do

lee9
01-29-2012, 12:02 AM
This was the response I received from United Pet Group when I inquired.

"With a receipt, it is always easier and quicker to use the local store's
return policy. If they are unable to take care of you, then you may send
the unit to us. This will take a bit more time however. To take
advantage of the warranty, please mail in the unit and a brief
description of the problem. Our address is UPG, at 3001 Commerce Dr.,
Blacksburg, VA 24060. Attention warranty claims. Once received, a refund
or a replacement of same wattage will be sent. Please include your,
name, address, and phone number. We apologize for any inconvenience this
may cause you. If you have any questions, please let us know or call
1-800-338-4896.

Sincerely,
United Pet Group"

I just recently sent mine back directly to UPG because I got it used and didn't have a receipt. It cost me about $8.00 to send back via mail and they sent me a cheque for $38.00.

christyf5
01-29-2012, 02:41 AM
This was the response I received from United Pet Group when I inquired.

"With a receipt, it is always easier and quicker to use the local store's
return policy. If they are unable to take care of you, then you may send
the unit to us. This will take a bit more time however. To take
advantage of the warranty, please mail in the unit and a brief
description of the problem. Our address is UPG, at 3001 Commerce Dr.,
Blacksburg, VA 24060. Attention warranty claims. Once received, a refund
or a replacement of same wattage will be sent. Please include your,
name, address, and phone number. We apologize for any inconvenience this
may cause you. If you have any questions, please let us know or call
1-800-338-4896.

Sincerely,
United Pet Group"

I just recently sent mine back directly to UPG because I got it used and didn't have a receipt. It cost me about $8.00 to send back via mail and they sent me a cheque for $38.00.

Wow sweet! THanks for the info!! :biggrin:

fishytime
01-29-2012, 02:49 AM
Laurie has had two stealths go on her in the last year....last week was the most recent incident.....it popped the breaker and her system was down for probably 10 hours before she noticed...she didnt loose anything but it sure had her stressed while she tried to figure out was tripped the breaker...

christyf5
01-29-2012, 03:19 AM
Laurie has had two stealths go on her in the last year....last week was the most recent incident.....it popped the breaker and her system was down for probably 10 hours before she noticed...she didnt loose anything but it sure had her stressed while she tried to figure out was tripped the breaker...

Holey crap, yeah I'd be stressed too! :neutral:

fishoholic
01-29-2012, 04:13 AM
Holey crap, yeah I'd be stressed too! :neutral:
Ya that sucked, should of guessed it was the dumb stealth since the last time I had issues it was a stealth heater causing them. My frogfish tank was at 70 and my main tanks were 74. Frog and fowlr had no flow cause I didn't realize the power was out and the back up battery was drained that had the powerheads running to those tanks. Not a fun day amazing everything survived.