PDA

View Full Version : R/O Alternative? - Kati Ani De-ionizers

msjboy
01-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Just saw this on reefbuilders.com. Just wondering if anyone uses this type of water treatment system as opposed to a usual R/O system:
http://www.readyaquatics.com/Kati-Ani-Deionizers_c_100.html

Pretty cheap for a 100 gallon system that is rechargeable as opposed to a R/O system which requires changing the filter and lotsa wasted water (using muric acid though) at $116.98USD.

msjboy

Aquattro
01-27-2012, 09:14 PM
I've recharged these types of filters before with muriatic acid, I'd rather buy a new RO membrane every other year. It's a messy job that's best done outside.

lastlight
01-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I read the recharge instructions. Talk about a PITA not to mention you need to source and use some serious chemicals.

Aquattro
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
I read the recharge instructions. Talk about a PITA not to mention you need to source and use some serious chemicals.

Ya, this method generates some seriously toxic fumes and mist that hover around the room. You need a mask for sure, and gloves. As I mentioned, outside is best, and really not worth it IMO.

sphelps
01-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Would be better if the flow rates were higher. While it is an alternative it really doesn't appear to offer any advantage over RO. Yes no waste water but somehow I'm thinking the need for using those chemicals will out weigh the environmental effects of saving the waste water. Other than that it appears to have higher cost, more maintenance and more risk of personal and tank harm.

lastlight
01-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Everytime you recharge you need to use somewhere close to 100 litres to rinse the stuff. I'm guessing you could burn the resin out pretty fast too. Might be a great setup for people with really low TDS to begin with but then again... those folks have it made with ro/di setups already lol.

Aquattro
01-27-2012, 10:36 PM
You also need a fair amount of acid, and ideally, a large box of baking soda to neutralize it before you dump it. And it's a disgusting slimy mess. I'd never do it again. I used to collect those API resins and recharge them, but not worth it.

hillegom
01-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Basically we are talking about the DI part of the RO/DI are we not?