PDA

View Full Version : lighting headache

troni
01-26-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm hurting my head trying to find a light that I can justify spending that much on. Now I give up. I'm turning to you guys for help.
I want to grow lps and softies, zoos, and i'd like a anemone.
Its a 20g and I'm ok spending about 400.
Must be led and dimmable.
Bonus for programmable.
1. Any suggestions?
2. Can you buy it for me?

The Grizz
01-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Get in contact with Martin @ Modular LED ( site sponsor ) email him your tank info and what you would like to do with it and he will come up with the best option at the best price.

Nano
01-26-2012, 01:43 AM
If your ok spending 400 andyou want those optimal get and ai nano, talk to martin at midular led, hes one of the sponsors here. Awesome guy to deal with

Nano
01-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Get in contact with Martin @ Modular LED ( site sponsor ) email him your tank info and what you would like to do with it and he will come up with the best option at the best price.

Lol you beat me. Also ask Martin about his diy leds and check out grizz's led build

The Grizz
01-26-2012, 01:44 AM
If your ok spending 400 andyou want those optimal get and ai nano, talk to martin at midular led, hes one of the sponsors here. Awesome guy to deal with

Words out of my mouth, just spelled a little different :biggrin:

Nano
01-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Words out of my mouth, just spelled a little different :biggrin:

Oh sh** I can't believe I spelled that wrong lol. I meant modular med not midlar. Damn phone.

troni
01-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Lol its not Friday yet, there's way to much fun happening. Back on track. Will a ai nano grow anemones? And I thought ai nanos were like 550. 100 cheaper then the sol.

SteveConn
01-26-2012, 02:24 AM
I also think Martin at Modular LED would be a good choice. I have a kit for my 24g nano. Corals seem to love it :-), he can help you with options that you are looking for.

Nano
01-26-2012, 02:25 AM
Lol its not Friday yet, there's way to much fun happening. Back on track. Will a ai nano grow anemones? And I thought ai nanos were like 550. 100 cheaper then the sol.

Yikes where are you getting your prices from? Ai sols are 400 and change. And the nanos are like 300 and change. You just have to buy a controller. No doubt the light is strong enough, but if your tank is young I would wait for it to mature before you take the plunge into an anemone :) Martin could do a good dimmable kit for you for less then the nano though so I would definitely give him a PM. Also look into ecoxotic panorama strips and modules with Martin too, he can work magic for your wallet and needs.

SteveConn
01-26-2012, 02:30 AM
I second taking it slow, especially at the beginning!! I had to return my nem because my tank was crashing after I bought it as a complete setup. Lost almost all of my corals. First few months can be trial an error if you are new at this, makes freshwater look effortless! It's worth it though once you learn and thing become ... more stable

The Grizz
01-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Nanos $329 Sol $399! Save yourself the headack of trying to figure out LED'S & reach out to Martin. I was totally stupid when it came to LEDs, he taught me what I wanted to know and now I have 2 of the biggest bad ass led lights around.

Nano
01-26-2012, 02:41 AM
Nanos $329 Sol $399! Save yourself the headack of trying to figure out LED'S & reach out to Martin. I was totally stupid when it came to LEDs, he taught me what I wanted to know and now I have 2 of the biggest bad ass led lights around.

I've seen em. He's not kidding lol. You did the right thing asking, Greg(Grizz)'s leds are effing nuts.

troni
01-26-2012, 03:38 AM
Yes I know to take it slow but like they all say plan and buy what you need the first time. That's for the info. I sent him a message already. I swaer I seen 630. Ill get the link

troni
01-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Why is my rock getting some white spots everywhere? Also does this link work? https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=135187dc8352e0f9&attid=0.1&disp=attd&safe=1&zw

The Grizz
01-26-2012, 04:33 AM
Not sure what the spot could be without pic & yes the link to gmail login works.

troni
01-26-2012, 04:38 AM
There's abunch like bleaching. Tank was setup two days ago. Also the link for ai sol and nano.http://www.aquacon.com/Aqua%20Illumination_LED_Aquarium_Lighting.html

The Grizz
01-26-2012, 04:42 AM
Where did you get the rock? LFS or fellow reefer? Is you tank going into a cycle? It could be just some die off.

The Grizz
01-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Ok so the price you are seeing for over $600 comes with the external controller, mounting rails and such. The one for $529 is the same as if you get it from Martin but then you have to add shipping to. It's always best to buy as local as you can on things like this as you will get a better bang for your buck.

troni
01-26-2012, 04:50 AM
From a lfs. :redface: I don't have proper tests yet. I thought I could use my fresh tests but I was wrong I can only use the nitrite and nitrate and ph. So I'm going to take in a sample.

The Grizz
01-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Was the rock under SW the whole time from LFS to your tank? If not, it is more then likely some die off & your tank could be starting to cycle. That's a good idea to take in a sample & I would suggest going to either Red Coral, Blue World or Marine Aquaria to have it tested properly.

SteveConn
01-26-2012, 05:54 AM
A lot of my rock did that too. It takes months for a tank to settle. I started in June as a long time FW hobbyist with an established nano that I quickly crashed. My coraline mostly went white/died..then I had a diatom outbreak, then lots and LOTS of hair algae! I borrowed a Sea Hare from Red Coral, bought a Tuxedo Urchin, a Phosban reactor AND a lawnmower Blenny.. now my tank is pretty much algae free (I cant see any green algae at all, so feed the Blenny seaweed). My main tank now has coraline growing like crazy. One thing I found is that even moving rock will unbalance things and cause a die off of some of what was on the rock (reaction to lighting changes?) and I found the same with disturbing the sandbed much.
If you can, buy what you need upfront to keep your tank as stable as you can. Lighting, skimmer, auto top off, dosing pumps. A lot of people will sell here, so if you want to save, I recommend looking here for what you need.
For dosing, I use a Tunze ATO, but instead of plain (RODI) water, I use a solution of Kalk & Vinegar in water. Evaporation from my tank causes the ATO to dose. It isnt ideal, but it will work. I still check levels weekly (when I started I was testing 2-3x per week) and dose whats needed (SLOWLY).
Kalk & Vinegar mix is available online if you're interested. Its cheap and easy to mix.
Hope that makes sense! I know I added way more than you needed, but if it helps you avoid my mistakes....:sad:

Big changes/fast changes are your enemy, way more so than with FW

BTW: Welcome to SW!

lorenz0
01-26-2012, 06:04 AM
I just got my kit from modular LED today and wow. honestly was not expecting this great of a product and more of a diy type of thing. Love it and really looking forward to how it is over my nano. I really recommend considering martin's products

edit:

just finished installing them over my biocube WOW. I don't know why I didn't go led's sooner

troni
01-26-2012, 12:56 PM
No the rock was exposed to air for awhile. Ill keep an eye on water parameters forsure. Any tests you recommend.

Lorenzo what do you plan on growing? how did you find the price?

lorenz0
01-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Its going to be a mixed reef. Florida ric's, some lps and some easy sps (birdsnest, digi). I had a 150mh over a biocube before and with the leds turned all the way up they go way brighter. Also they produce less heat which is nice.

As for price I bought the biocube 14 kit with a single dimmer. $90 cheaper than the AI nano and imo... way better spread compared to pictures I have seen

troni
01-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Right on! I've been talking and I think I found something. I'm excited. So here's a Question. My tank was setup Monday and I have algae growing on glass already and lots on my rock kinda like fuzz. Don't think its nuisance. I bought good rock lots of coraline and nice green color. Anyway normal?