PDA

View Full Version : setting up new tank - upgrade from nano

nanoFX
01-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Hi,

I want to start up a larger tank, I originally had a 28g nano for 5 years and want to get a 60 - 90 gallon tank. I know how to do the lighting part but as far as what I would need besides the tank and lighting I have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aquattro
01-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Well, a sump and skimmer are pretty much required gear, IMO. Good quality rock is also a must have. A heater, some form of top off is nice, depending on load, some sort of Ca/Alk replacement.

sumpfinfishe
01-25-2012, 05:15 PM
A much larger wallet will also come in handy:mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-25-2012, 06:28 PM
A much larger wallet will also come in handy:mrgreen:

Second mortgage and sell off the first born helps too:wink::twised:

Cugio
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
^^^ Hilarious.

SteveConn
01-25-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm thinking of selling a kidney. I figure having 2 of them is redundant.

Seriously... good powerheads to move water and redundant (like the extra kidney) heater. If you're in the WINDY part of S. Alberta, I would consider a power backup for the water pump/powerheads at least. When I lived in Lethbridge, there were times I was the only guy around with lighting during power outages :-)

daniella3d
01-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Beside, kidney to grow back :)

I'm thinking of selling a kidney. I figure having 2 of them is redundant.

Having a 28 gallons or a 100 gallons is pretty much the same requirement...light, skimmer, heater, liverock. A sump is nice if you have room. I don't have one and been running my 75 gallons for 2 years without one because I have no room and everything grow like crazy and is very healthy. If you have experience for 5 years with a 28 gallons saltwater tank you should know pretty much whas is needed for a 70 gallons, as it is about the same.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Two main components to not cheap out on is a good skimmer and good lighting. These are also the two components most people try to save money on when they set up and then waste more money upgrading later on.

Figure out what you want to keep and get the proper equipment the first time round.

Kimmi7
01-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Beside, kidney to grow back :)

You're thinking liver otherwise I would have two again instead of one lol. Anyways I like reading these types of thread as it gets good answers on good questions.

Acipenser
01-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Two main components to not cheap out on is a good skimmer and good lighting. These are also the two components most people try to save money on when they set up and then waste more money upgrading later on.

Figure out what you want to keep and get the proper equipment the first time round.

Excellent advise , and I made both of these mistakes I am on my third light and my second skimmer ! I had to learn the hard way.