PDA

View Full Version : Remora Skimmer vs. In-Sump Skimmer

linz8392
01-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I currently have a hang on Remora C skimmer on my 75 G Reef tank.

It does a nice job...pulls a lot of stuff out.

My question is would getting an in-sump skimmer be better? WOuld it be worth the effort and expense? I have a sump thats about 30 or so gallons and there is room for it down there.

What are your opinions?

Raf
01-25-2012, 03:40 PM
yes, but invest in as large of a skimmer as you can fit in that sump.

linz8392
01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
so is that whats meant by overskimming or skimming hard?

better to have one that over skims than under skims...correct?

any type and or brand you would recommend?

i know some build their own

so this would be worth upgrading ? like i said my remora SEEMS good

but ive never had the other type and dont know how much better it could be

sumpfinfishe
01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
IMO if it's not broken then don't fix it, on the other hand if you feel your skimmer is not producing enough and your tank has a high load then you may want to upgrade. Your the person to ask this question to ideally, anyone can suggest that you upgrade your equipment but in the end your the one that will know if your skimmer is adequate or not. As for brand an model, ask on here and other boards what people with a 75gl are using, then you can make a better more informed decision as to which skimmer will work for your setup.

Wayne
01-27-2012, 01:53 AM
If your signature represents your curent stock, you should be ok with that size of skimmer. Much more and a bigger skimmer wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade.

Skimmerking
01-27-2012, 02:30 AM
IMO if it's not broken then don't fix it, on the other hand if you feel your skimmer is not producing enough and your tank has a high load then you may want to upgrade. Your the person to ask this question to ideally, anyone can suggest that you upgrade your equipment but in the end your the one that will know if your skimmer is adequate or not. As for brand an model, ask on here and other boards what people with a 75gl are using, then you can make a better more informed decision as to which skimmer will work for your setup.

yup Exactly if it aint broke done fix it again things could get worse. However if your skimmer is not producing foam maybe you are over feeding in the frozen department. or maybe its needs a good cleaning

If your signature represents your curent stock, you should be ok with that size of skimmer. Much more and a bigger skimmer wouldn't be a bad time to upgrade.

some hang ons are amazing little skimmers like the Deltec MCE 500 , 600 are great little skimmers.
sometimes a in sump skimmer may not be the best solution for your setup.

Raf
01-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Vertex makes good skimmers if you don't want to spend too much. It will outperform a remora.

Skimmerking
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Vertex makes good skimmers if you don't want to spend too much. It will outperform a remora.
spot on there Raf the vertex 170 is a amazing little skimmer. best bang for your buck.

Nano
01-29-2012, 03:26 PM
spot on there Raf the vertex 170 is a amazing little skimmer. best bang for your buck.

But you told me they were p.o.s. :lol:

Skimmerking
01-29-2012, 03:41 PM
But you told me they were p.o.s. :lol:
no the vertex 180 is a POS not the cones with the Red dragon pumps
2 totally different skimmers