sunoka
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
This my new wrasse added to my now growing wrasse colony.:biggrin:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/meto122-2008/IMG_6583.jpg
Settling in color is coming out
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh319/meto122-2008/NewImage.jpg

lastlight
01-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Very nice. Never come across one of these in person but always thought they looked pretty unique.

fishoholic
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Very cool wrasse, I miss the one I had :sad: I see them available every now and then.

Proteus
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
I had one. Great fish. Big wrasse hole when it got bigger

sunoka
01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Well if he gets nasty I will inject him into the future FOWLR/Preditor tank I am going to set up. It is the smallest fish in the tank at this time so no troubles yet and maybe hanging around with my mellow female leopard wrasse he will be good she is at least double its size.

I had one. Great fish. Big wrasse hole when it got bigger

naesco
01-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Well if he gets nasty I will inject him into the future FOWLR/Preditor tank I am going to set up. It is the smallest fish in the tank at this time so no troubles yet and maybe hanging around with my mellow female leopard wrasse he will be good she is at least double its size.

It is not so much nasty you have to worry about, it is his size. He will grow to over 10 inches and fast. I hope your FOWLR that you are planning to set up is a very large tank
Please ensure that the top of your tank is totally covered.

You will not be able to keep snails, hermit crabs, urchins and other small inverts.

The Grizz
01-26-2012, 04:39 AM
You will not be able to keep snails, hermit crabs, urchins and other small inverts.

I have had a Checker Board Wrasse for about 8 months now, he has doubled in size from 2" to 4". I have lots of snails, hermits, stars & urchins in my tank & he's has never touched any of them. He does how ever like to sand dive recently. I was watching him the other night, he was near the top of the tank when he suddenly dove down & into the sand. He came out about 3' further away from where he went in. :biggrin:

Proteus
01-26-2012, 04:45 AM
I never had a problem with the wrasse and inverts but he was a bully chasing other fish around to the point they would never come out into open

sunoka
01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
My female leopard is always under stiring up food ( bristal worns ) for all fish in the tank. Very cool watching them swim in the sand.

I have had a Checker Board Wrasse for about 8 months now, he has doubled in size from 2" to 4". I have lots of snails, hermits, stars & urchins in my tank & he's has never touched any of them. He does how ever like to sand dive recently. I was watching him the other night, he was near the top of the tank when he suddenly dove down & into the sand. He came out about 3' further away from where he went in. :biggrin:

naesco
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
I never had a problem with the wrasse and inverts but he was a bully chasing other fish around to the point they would never come out into open

I should have added that as they grow bigger faster there taste changes to larger sized foods.

Wrasses are really deceptive to buy because the LFS get them in when they are juveniles.
You have to do your homework before you buy to determine their adult size which often is too big for most tanks.
In addition many of they change to a drap colouring as they become adult and there attitude changes from passive to bully.

Proteus
01-26-2012, 07:16 PM
I should have added that as they grow bigger faster there taste changes to large iszed foods.

Wrasses are really deceptive to buy because the LFS get them in when they are juveniles.
You have to do your homework before you buy to determine their adult size which often is too big for most tanks.
In addition many of they change to a drap colouring as they become adult and there attitude changes from passive to bully.

True enough

My brother had a beautiful lunar wrasse which one it hit 10" it took a likening to killing tangs.

lastlight
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
True enough

My brother had a beautiful lunar wrasse which one it hit 10" it took a likening to killing tangs.

Which is too bad as their adult coloration is to die for.