PDA

View Full Version : Rsm 34g scratch removal

spit.fire
01-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Just picked up a 34g Rsm for what the liverock in it is worth but only problem with the tank is its slightly scratched
Is there any easy way to remove the scratches or somewhere I can bring the tank to to have it polished?

Nano
01-25-2012, 02:29 AM
Don't quote me on this but I have heard of starting with fine sand paper doing a wet sand, and getting finer and finer and finer, then polishing it. I could be wrong so hopefully some one with the experience will jump in

daniella3d
01-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Only the smallest scracthes can be removed. The deeper ones are very difficult to remove.

If they are inside the tank with water filled it might not show.

I removed a small scratch from my Osaka front glass and it worked very well, no trace of it anylonger, but it was not deep. I used cerium oxide. It is a brownish powder that you mix with a bit of water and then you rub it on the scratch. It takes quite a bit of time and lots of as you say..."elbow grease" :)

I bought mine off ebay. Do a search for cerium oxide.

Just picked up a 34g Rsm for what the liverock in it is worth but only problem with the tank is its slightly scratched
Is there any easy way to remove the scratches or somewhere I can bring the tank to to have it polished?

sphelps
01-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Don't quote me on this but I have heard of starting with fine sand paper doing a wet sand, and getting finer and finer and finer, then polishing it. I could be wrong so hopefully some one with the experience will jump in
That sounds like it would work on acrylic but not glass.

untamed
01-25-2012, 03:11 AM
That sounds like it would work on acrylic but not glass.

No, acrylic is much easier than that.

ScubaSteve
01-25-2012, 04:26 AM
If you can feel the scratch with you nail, you're out of luck. For light scratches, you can use the sanding paper polishing technique. You can sometimes find glass polishing kits for removing scratches. Be sure that it's an abrasive based kit rather than chemical as some of the chemicals can be nasty.

Try filling the tank with water first to see what the scratches look like once it's full. Many scratches disappear once the tank is full.