PDA

View Full Version : Will 2 AI Sol Super blue Work?

clowny
01-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Just a little back ground before I start. I started with a 30 gallon tank purchased for me 4 years ago (surprise!!!...). I have purchased a 120 gallon tank, and plan on using the 30 gallon as the sump. I plan to use the Sump as a pod heaven with a Deep sand bed and/or Live rock rubble piles. I may one day turn it into a refugium but at the start it would be a completely dark sump. I plan to have the aquarium up and running by Halloween. Will start a journal once I start actually doing something besides renos on/in the house and Year end accounting...

Ok so I have a few questions actually but my main question is lighting.

First off would 2 AI Sol Super Blue LED fixtures be enough light for a full SPS reef, or atleast mostly SPS clams and the whole bit. I am also looking into the Modular LED as I saw Grizz's build and it looked amazing.

Second off and I know I am going to take a lot of guff for this but, this is going to be a skimmerless system. With a light Bio Load (2 clowns, 2 manderins (will be added well after Pod population is established), 2 seahorses (will be added well after Pod population is established) ,and 2 other fish picked by my wife:lol: (non pod eaters and non aggressive shes looking for suggestions too). So the main idea behind this was how should the sump be set up for maximum pod population Ex. (first chamber DSB, second return, third LRR with the over flow split between the two or more flow to the rock etc.)I will need baffle heights and chamber sizes to as I have no ATO thus far.

Third off what return pump would you reccommend. In the future I will probably have a Macro chamber/return/LRR or Macro and LRR chamber and a Return chamber.

More questions will be posted I am sure, but that is it for now. Thanks for the replies in advance. I posted my crappy google sketch up as a pic of the set up thus far.

phi delt reefer
01-25-2012, 02:25 AM
build two rock islands and have the lights directly over them and you should be fine with two - you will have a large shaded area but it should have a nice dramatic look to it. try to get the unit with 70 degree optics for better spread.

sps corals are the hardest to keep due to the quality of water they require. almost 0 nitrates and almost 0 phosphates. if you dont run a skimmer you will be instead spending the money on extra liver rock, a well stocked fuge with tons of macro algae, and salt for large WEEKLY water changes. Skimmers help reduce tank maintenece and also oxygenate the water so you will probably need extra power heads to increase gas exchange. You can get a good quality used one on this board for under $250. if you do decide to go the skimmerless route, i would wait a FULL year to ensure your bio filtration is at its peak and you are able to maintain good water parameters with whatever regiment you choose. If you find its not cutting it, add a skimmer.

as for no aggressive no pod eating fish - try some gobies but they are usually pretty small. A hawkfish might be a cool addition. Clownfish eat pods btw. Most fish will eat pods from what i have seen. A yellow tang would add a nice splash of color. Pods thrive in Uvla macro - so try to add that as well as some chaeto to your macro area. Baffle height should also make room for water that drains from teh display if the power ever goes out.

as for a return pump - eheim 1260 - quiet and built to last. There are cheaper options but you'll find this pump has proven to be a winner. You can get a used one for $100 or less. Just keep an eye out.

clowny
01-25-2012, 03:28 AM
"you will have a large shaded area but it should have a nice dramatic look to it. try to get the unit with 70 degree optics for better spread."
That does sound pretty cool the island idea, by shaded areas you mean the ends and front and back? as the units would be set parallel, with 8 inches of space from the ends and from eachother.

sps corals are the hardest to keep due to the quality of water they require. almost 0 nitrates and almost 0 phosphates. if you dont run a skimmer you will be instead spending the money on extra liver rock,
would 120 pounds in the display and say 30 pounds of rubble in the sump be enough?

a well stocked fuge with tons of macro algae,
I was hoping to have eatable Macro fuge one day (fish eatible) so no cheato, the Tang heave diet perhaps http://www.ipsf.com/tangheaven.html

and salt for large WEEKLY water changes. Skimmers help reduce tank maintenece and also oxygenate the water so you will probably need extra power heads to increase gas exchange. You can get a good quality used one on this board for under $250. if you do decide to go the skimmerless route, i would wait a FULL year to ensure your bio filtration is at its peak and you are able to maintain good water parameters with whatever regiment you choose. If you find its not cutting it, add a skimmer.
Definitly was goning to be a year plus as I would want the Pod population and all the fish to be in the tank before adding corals.

Clownfish eat pods btw.
Damn you clownfish!

Thanks for the info will definity have to put on the thinking cap now with regaurds to the macros and skimmer.

intarsiabox
01-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Clown fish are greedy and will likely cause seahorses to starve to death or may harass them. Best kept in a species only tank or with non aggressive non competing fish such as small gobies or fire fish. They also require a tank with low flow as they are very poor swimmers.

clowny
01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Here is a new questions: When I get my LEDs (AI Sol or DIY) the fish tank will not have seen any other light source ever, what intensity should I start with? Just find a brightness/color and day cycle I like and stick with it and adjust coral/rock placement in the future based on that?

apexifd
01-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Here is a new questions: When I get my LEDs (AI Sol or DIY) the fish tank will not have seen any other light source ever, what intensity should I start with? Just find a brightness/color and day cycle I like and stick with it and adjust coral/rock placement in the future based on that?

30-50% and slowly increase intensity every week.

doch
01-25-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't feel like 2 sols would be enough. I would say at least 3. If you're dead set on only using 2, make sure to mount them at least 12" above the tank. This said, it will depend on what you're planning for corals.

As for intensity, I'd say start at ~30% and ramp them up very slowly. I've yet to determine the magic ramp up rate, but go slow.

clowny
01-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Not dead set on 2 was told from stores selling AI Sol's that each unit can cover a 24x24 area for a SPS reef I was told similar about the Ecotech Radions, and have seen par comparissions with the AI, Radions and Vertex, being close to eachother. If 3 are necessary for SPS to be placed anywhere I would do so. Thanks for the Intensity advice too.

Bblinks
01-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Not dead set on 2 was told from stores selling AI Sol's that each unit can cover a 24x24 area for a SPS reef I was told similar about the Ecotech Radions, and have seen par comparissions with the AI, Radions and Vertex, being close to eachother. If 3 are necessary for SPS to be placed anywhere I would do so. Thanks for the Intensity advice too.

AI puts out more par then the rest (ref. Dr Sanjay's review on reef builder)but pur is really what we should be looking at. regardless I think if you are used to metal halide with t5's, you will find 2 ai over your tank will be bit on the dark side. I have asked the same question on my 300. Most think 6 units is enough, ai recommands 12 units so I decided to go with 9 units. It does have good coverage but because I have them mounted under a canopy, they are 8 inches awl so I still have some shaded parts even with 9 units. Don't get me wrong, I was running 3units 18 inches awl on my 210 sps heavy tank and it was enough light coverage for it, but with it so high I was running them like my halides, ramp up 1 hour, 6 hours of full intensity then ramp down 1 hour. so if you run 2 units 14-18 inches awl, you should have good enough coverage but you do sacrifice intensity. I would start with 2 units and hang'em high up and see how you like it and go from there.

clowny
01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Interesting I am going to be haning from the roof with the kit so it is easily adjustable. Thanks for the input will try 2 and go from there.

doch
01-25-2012, 05:44 PM
http://support.aquaillumination.com/entries/459049-tank-recommendations

unclesalty
01-25-2012, 07:30 PM
AI puts out more par then the rest (ref. Dr Sanjay's review on reef builder)but pur is really what we should be looking at. regardless I think if you are used to metal halide with t5's, you will find 2 ai over your tank will be bit on the dark side. I have asked the same question on my 300. Most think 6 units is enough, ai recommands 12 units so I decided to go with 9 units. It does have good coverage but because I have them mounted under a canopy, they are 8 inches awl so I still have some shaded parts even with 9 units. Don't get me wrong, I was running 3units 18 inches awl on my 210 sps heavy tank and it was enough light coverage for it, but with it so high I was running them like my halides, ramp up 1 hour, 6 hours of full intensity then ramp down 1 hour. so if you run 2 units 14-18 inches awl, you should have good enough coverage but you do sacrifice intensity. I would start with 2 units and hang'em high up and see how you like it and go from there.

Excellent post Rich and you definately know what your talking about!! I bet 9 on your tank looks awesome.
Most people cheap on their AI fixtures and then they wonder why they lacking par with them raised so high to achieve the coverage. People that I have talked to that have AI's agree with no less than 6 fixtures for a 180g.

Bblinks
01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Excellent post Rich and you definately know what your talking about!! I bet 9 on your tank looks awesome.
Most people cheap on their AI fixtures and then they wonder why they lacking par with them raised so high to achieve the coverage. People that I have talked to that have AI's agree with no less than 6 fixtures for a 180g.

Thanks Darryl. Those AI's do look awesome on the tank, I am almost ready to get 3 more...:twised:
I bet the radions would look even better but they are just too rich for me.:cry: 9 radion would be well over 7k with taxes. I can only wait till you get your tank running and see them on yours.:lol:

unclesalty
01-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Do you agree with me my thoughts here from what I seen from my AI(yours now) ?
4 AI's with 3 at the very minimum on a 4 ft 120g and 6 AI's or 5 at the very minimum on a 6ft 180g?

Bblinks
01-25-2012, 08:08 PM
4 AI's with 3 at the very minimum on a 4 ft 120g and 6 AI's or 5 at the very minimum on a 6ft 180g?

You bet buddy. 4 for 120 and 6 for 180. That is if you want decent coverage. Many can argue that you can get away with less, but like everything else, YES you can get away with it but is it optimal, NO!

intarsiabox
01-25-2012, 08:14 PM

I have 2 AI fixtures on a 3' long tank that is 2' wide and have no dim areas at all. The lights are a foot above the water line and my neglected SPS pieces started to color back up and recover bare skeleton parts after 2 weeks. Intensity is at 40% for white and 50% for blues. I definetly would not buy a third fixture.

intarsiabox
01-25-2012, 08:20 PM
I guess I should add that my tank is only 20" deep with a 1" sandbed as I'm not a fan of tall tanks.

clowny
01-25-2012, 08:40 PM
with your 3 foot tank is your spacing 4 inches from each end and 4 inches from each other or do you have them the other direction? as with a whole other foot added that would double to 8 inches from each end and eachother with them parallel to each other.

Also checking into Modular LED set up as well so fingers crossed on that too. In Doch post the recommendation are for 2 with them 12 inches above the water, I will start with that after I hear from Modular LED, and increase lights if/when necessary. But having 4 would be sweet that way they wouldnt be parallel and i could have any coral anywhere which is what I really want, no one wants restrictions on their tanks.

intarsiabox
01-25-2012, 11:37 PM
with your 3 foot tank is your spacing 4 inches from each end and 4 inches from each other or do you have them the other direction? as with a whole other foot added that would double to 8 inches from each end and eachother with them parallel to each other.

Also checking into Modular LED set up as well so fingers crossed on that too. In Doch post the recommendation are for 2 with them 12 inches above the water, I will start with that after I hear from Modular LED, and increase lights if/when necessary. But having 4 would be sweet that way they wouldnt be parallel and i could have any coral anywhere which is what I really want, no one wants restrictions on their tanks.

My lights are the other way with 8" from the sides of the tank and 8" in between fixtures. I agree that if you go this route to try fewer fixtures and see if you want more or not. Modular is nice to as you can space the LEDs out to your own personal preferance and aren't limited to what a manufacturer gives you.