PDA

View Full Version : Cerith snail eggs?

Mak
06-30-2002, 10:27 PM
A Cerith snail is laying a mass of eggs right now. Does anybody know what to do? Is there anything i can do? Will any snails survive? Thx

bcdope
07-01-2002, 12:06 AM
Hey Mak: It depends if you having anything in your tank that likes to munch on snail eggs (ie maybe a mantis?)

id recommend that you provide a safe harbour with rocks or such, and try not to distrub the area too much... Im sure the snail has discovered the perfect area to lay her eggs, so don't go poking around it too much.... Im not too sure which types of fish my disturb the eggs, and hopefully someone on this board will tell you.... are these your first eggs?

Im sure some snails will survive, that's if you want any.... another good thing to be doing is watching that the parametres of your tank don't go outta whack or flux, since these little guys are quite sensitive..... tell me how it goes, and let nature take its course in your tank... the snails done it to this point, now its up to god and your tank....

when's the baby shower?

ps. just got myself a blu mushroom frag off a member of this board, who was gracious enuf to give me a piece.... it is sWEEEEETTTTT

BAN BIG AL's

Mak
07-01-2002, 01:47 AM
BCD, the eggs are up on one of my PH's. No Hermits have access to it, and the only fish that might go after them would be the Bi-color Blenny... I think. I also have two Perc's and a green chromis.

Yep, these are the first egg's I have noticed, although I have seen tiny slugs cruz'n here and there.

" Now its up to God and your tank..."
Hmmm... I thought I was God :D .

I have 2 blue shrooms...but they will reside in my sump/ref. Don't want them going crazy in my main tank ;) .

[ 04 July 2002, 01:17: Message edited by: MAK ]

rgardiner
07-01-2002, 02:58 PM
According to Ron Shimek, cerith have long-lived (a few weeks) planktonic and feeding larvae, and so passing through the larval stage to give juvenile snails is uncommon in aquaria, but possible especially if you feed phytoplankton.

Aquattro
07-02-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Roy:
According to Ron Shimek, cerith have long-lived (a few weeks) planktonic and feeding larvae, and so passing through the larval stage to give juvenile snails is uncommon in aquaria, but possible especially if you feed phytoplankton.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Roy, I find that strange. I have many baby cerith snails in my tank and I just visited a tank last week that had zillions! Go figure! :rolleyes:

choglund
07-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Beware of the blenny!!!

I have a bi-coloured and he LOVES LOVES LOVES snail eggs!!! Keeps him fat and happy, the best kind of fish. :D

Cheryl

Mak
07-04-2002, 05:25 AM
Thanks for your reply Gobygirl smile.gif .

So far so good, the Blenny has not disturbed the eggs as of yet. The eggs are still clean. No algae or anything growing on them. It will be very interesting to see what happen's. Still not sure exactly how long it takes for the eggs to hatch.

Thx again ;) .

Doug
07-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Are you guys saying the snails are reproducing and staying alive in your aquariums, provided there not eatin. I find that very interesting. As much as a success my tanks have been, my snails, of any kind have not done that. Which I wish they would, as It gets tiring replacing them.LOL.

Any particular thing you contibute this to?

Aquattro
07-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Doug, I have dozens of little white snails running around my front glass. I imagine many more that I can't see. Not sure why they reproduce for me and not you...I'm not doing anything special.

Mak
07-04-2002, 11:05 PM
Hmmm... It appears that most of them have hatched, as the little slime patch looks like it has not been touched or fouled. Maybe I should hold off on the pair of Cleaner Shrimp for now. I'll let you all know what I find, if anything at all.

Happy Reefing smile.gif .

smokinreefer
07-05-2002, 02:36 AM
IME, its just the luck of the draw if they survive or not.

in my old 40, i had snails reproduce and survive, even though i had many fish that would probably eat them...wrasse, mandarin, rainfords goby, etc.

but now in my 135, i havent seen any baby snails.

oh well, hope they do well in your tank.