PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Aquaray or AquaIllumination?

coppertop
01-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Im thinking of replacing 150watt halide and 2 65 PC with an LED system. tank is 24inch cube...no sps.

I read a great review of the TMC AquaRay on Wetwebmedia. i can get it on sale for about $300 for 1 tile. I'd probably add one aquabeam strip to it for now.
5 year warranty is very nice. Multi controller is a bit expensive..$275..compared to AI at $79.

Sol blue at 399 plus controller is not bad.

Anyone have any experience with either unit? I cant find much of any reviews on the Aquaray.

And does anyone know if Aquaray is compatible with other brands of controllers?

toxic111
01-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Might want to look at the Radion as well. you would only need one unit for a 24" cube.

I am going with 2 on my 120 gal build.

coppertop
01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Might want to look at the Radion as well. you would only need one unit for a 24" cube.

I am going with 2 on my 120 gal build.

It looks great. i like the battery backup..and wireless system. Unfortunately the price point is out of my range. I need to stay under $600.

From what I read the SOL will shut down competely and not restart if there is a blip in the power. Not cool. I think the controller on the aquaray has a battery back up to avoid this.

MarkoD
01-24-2012, 08:50 PM
I have the sol an am very them

toxic111
01-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I'll have to ask my fish guy about his AI's, he has them on a 6' Tank & see if that happens to him. He loves his.

As for the AI's I think you need 2 units. I was looking at the one site & they would be over $1000. The Radions are around $800 each, close anyway.

Bblinks
01-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I got a few sol blue on my tank and so far it has been awesome. I personally have no complaints. I did ran into some issue with one of the modules but it was quickly rectified by Justin at AI. My vote will be for AI.

coppertop
01-27-2012, 12:08 AM
I decided to hold off on purchasing a full blown unit to replace my halide...

I did order a couple of Aquabeam strips to see how they perform...and get an idea of LED coverage.

coppertop
01-29-2012, 02:08 AM
2 aquabeam strips. I really like them.
No light spill..and not bad coverage for 10leds. Contemplating whether to junk my halide and put an Aquabeam tile on.

I liked the power and controllability of the Sol..but I didnt like the 12 inch or higher mount height.

These were also influencing..

http://aquariumdigest.wordpress.com/tag/aqua-beam/

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/TMCLEDRevGasta.htm

Finisher604
01-29-2012, 07:24 AM
I have 1 ai sol light system on my 65 gallon reef and it's amazing I was told I needed 2 but decided to save the other purchase for a later date, I now have the I one Ai centered above the tank @ 10 inches and get a full spread and do not use on full power, led rocks in my opinion :twised:

coppertop
01-29-2012, 01:38 PM
Do you have the Sol white or blue? how long have you had them? How are corals/nems?

Id post a pic of the beams but upload fails.

Nano
01-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Do you have the Sol white or blue? how long have you had them? How are corals/nems?

Id post a pic of the beams but upload fails.

Moat of us go for the blues, but some still use whites it a personal preference is all. If you can't upload your pictures go to photobucket.com make an account a use that :razz:
Then once youve uploaded a photo use the (img) code and paste it in here. Easy as pie.

Finisher604
01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I have sol blue it has royal/blue/white
I have a tub anemone and it's super bright as is my few pieces
Of sps and all other corals about 30 in total.
I have been told that LED is extremely bright and to never run full power for long periods of time I have had it since nov 11

Power goes out around my area all the time never had a problem with it not turning back on