PDA

View Full Version : Reheating Tank

Lampshade
01-24-2012, 01:33 AM
My power was out for this morning while i was at work. It sucked. I knew it was out from the start, and my work doesn't allow fish days, so i was dreading it all day. My controller never came back online, so i was worried. Got home and... both GFCI's tripped when stuff re-started, so my tank was un-powered for 12 hours. Tank temp is 73 degrees, i have my halides on, 3x250W heaters on, and trying to get it up. I've got all my powerheads at the surface sucking air bubbles into the tank to help with O2.

Is there an issue re-heating too fast? Temp swings are bad, i just want it in a normal range so i can hopefully save whats left. Should i blast this up to 75-76 then slow it down? or just ease it up the whole way?

So far: flame hawkish, coral beauty, shrimp, bunch of hermits, all dead. Coral is an unknown right now, but not looking terrible, i'll have to see what happens in the next few days. My tang is having a rough time, on the sand gasping.

Hiab422
01-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Crap hope things work out thats a nice setup you have there:sad:

naesco
01-24-2012, 01:45 AM
My power was out for this morning while i was at work. It sucked. I knew it was out from the start, and my work doesn't allow fish days, so i was dreading it all day. My controller never came back online, so i was worried. Got home and... both GFCI's tripped when stuff re-started, so my tank was un-powered for 12 hours. Tank temp is 73 degrees, i have my halides on, 3x250W heaters on, and trying to get it up. I've got all my powerheads at the surface sucking air bubbles into the tank to help with O2.

Is there an issue re-heating too fast? Temp swings are bad, i just want it in a normal range so i can hopefully save whats left. Should i blast this up to 75-76 then slow it down? or just ease it up the whole way?

So far: flame hawkish, coral beauty, shrimp, bunch of hermits, all dead. Coral is an unknown right now, but not looking terrible, i'll have to see what happens in the next few days. My tang is having a rough time, on the sand gasping.

Bring the heat up slowly. But the issue is the lack of oxygen.
Take the tang out and any other fish who are suffering and place it is a large container with tank water and place a bubbler in the container. The deaths are the result of lack of oxygen.

Lampshade
01-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Thanks all, the fish all seems to be doing well now, even the tang is swimming around being a bully as usual. I thought he was for sure dead after seeing him unable to move when i poked him. The fox face is usually the first to show stress and starts looking like he's been dead for a month and molding, but he's back to his usual yellow color.

I think everything should end up working itself out... except I've noticed a LOT of dead pods in my tank, so i foresee a large nitrate cycle in the next few days :S. Good thing i'm off work now for a bit and can hopefully help this out.

sphelps
01-24-2012, 02:06 AM
It'll take a while for the tank to heat up anyway so I wouldn't be concerned about heating it up too fast.

See if you can setup your controller with black out delays at different intervals for various equipment, that way everything won't attempt to turn on at once and trip breakers/GFCIs. I personally don't run my return pump and controller power through a GFCI, everything else yes but the controller doesn't need it and the return pump is just too important.

Best of luck.

Lampshade
01-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Sphelps.... if you only knew :( , this is SO bad, my controller is set up to do all of that, and i was at HD the other day and picked up everything i needed to finish off re-doing power outlet part of my controller so that i could put everything back on there instead of my temporary timers. Well.. i was tired last night and went to bed early instead of doing it... and so now while i monitor the tank i'm setting it up so this doesn't happen again. I swear, the fish gods knew i just spent my fish tank budget on a lighting upgrade, and i was too lazy to finish my timer. This is how they punish me.

sphelps
01-24-2012, 02:23 AM
ah could be worse man, if everything works out no harm done. I got tonnes of stuff that I haven't finished yet, you do the best you can is all.

Lampshade
01-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Here's the latest 3 hours of my temp, should keep updating. The spikes where me restarting my controller a few times as i moved some power bars around.

Edit: temp steady at 77, deleting graph.

reefgirl189
01-24-2012, 03:29 AM
I am so sorry. You have a gorgeous tank and with all the effort you've put in you didn't deserve something like this. I hope your corals pull through :(

no_bs
01-24-2012, 03:12 PM
S**t deal, hope all works out for you.

pscott99
01-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Ouch so sad for you, especially since you have a controller. I am curious since I just got a reefkeeper lite. Mine says I am only drawing 1amp on each power bar so 2amps total. Isn't it odd that the gfi's tripped ? You may want to check your circuit load ? I'm not an electrician but just hoping you never have it happen again.

Lampshade
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
I found one of the reasons why the GFCI tripped, my under the sump circuit has a refugium light that sits on top of the tank. there was enough salt creep over the 12 hours to short the sockets. they weren't in the water, but close, and the case was very close. I found this out when it tripped when they where coming on last night. This was probably bound to happen some day, and the outage just sped it up a little.

The other circuit has 2x250W halides and 1 400W ballast plugged in, and MH ballasts are notorious for false trips on big start-ups, so imagine that's why my second tripped.

Thanks all for the help, it looks like everything's going to pull through. My SPS has all the polyps out, seems happy. A couple LPS still seem a little sketchy, but should all make it. A few snails that where on their back and looked dead dead are now out and about, so I'm starting to wonder if inverts will go into a hibernation mode if the temp gets cold. Perhaps I threw out live shrimp? they didn't show signs of life... but neither did a bunch of crab's/snails that seem to be fine now.