PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Reactors Into Return Lines?

rastaangel
01-23-2012, 11:45 PM
I am currently in the process of redesigning my sump to include a larger ATO reserve or cal/alk/mag chambers and a isolated spot for frags or hold more LR.
Right now I am currently running my carbon and GFO in a aqua clear HOB filter but I would like to elminate that if I decide to leave my frag rack in my DT. Before I converted my BRS reactors into a 7 stage RO/DI system I was running them with a MJ 1200 but I found that it didnt have enough flow to make it up to were my reactors were mounted and keep the carbon and GFO tumbling in the reactor which just resulted in flow ways resulting in minimal effects...
So as I already have to redo all of my return lines I had the idea of plumbing a BRS dual reactor into it so 100% of my water runs over the GFO and carbon and theres more then enough flow to keep the media tumbling.
Anyone ever done this or have advise to not to for whatever reason?

e46er
01-24-2012, 02:02 PM
100% ??
Don't plumb them in line with the return
I plumbed mine into my return and put valves on so I can regulate the flow when it gets slightly clogged open te valve a little bit more
Just behind dosing pumps this was my best upgrade decision

phi delt reefer
01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
100% ??
Don't plumb them in line with the return
I plumbed mine into my return and put valves on so I can regulate the flow when it gets slightly clogged open te valve a little bit more
Just behind dosing pumps this was my best upgrade decision

+1

Tee off the return pump and put a valve on that teed of line and run it to the reactors. They only need about 200gph of flow or you will grind up the media and it will end up in your display

eli@fijireefrock.com
01-24-2012, 03:37 PM
It's duable as long as you use the shutoff valve.I have mine tapped into and running directly from my main return pump with a shutoff valve and adjust the flow as I like.its been running that way for over 6mths with no problems at all.

rastaangel
01-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Ok that works. Or I might just run my extra quite one 2200 with a valve to the reactor to increase the flow in my tank

Reefer Rob
01-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Make sure your overflow can handle the added flow of another pump. I would plumb your reactors as others have said, and use a closed loop for added flow.